Dovetail saw - sort of a For Sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up this saw today (8", 14 ppi, make a lovely dovetail saw for someone if I'm any judge), with the intention of giving it The Works - clean, sharpen, new handle - and then finding some poor sap, er, discriminating punter who'd like to buy it. :wink:

However, it occurs to me there may be tool-challenged folks out there who could do with the cleaning and sharpening bit without any desire to fork out for a fancy handle by yours truly. The existing one really isn't that bad (nice and tight), or a new one looks a fairly straightforward job if you've got the bug from the rest of us lunatics. Should there be such a person, could they PM me asap before I do anything to it? Reasonable offer secures. Otherwise I fear I feel a step-by-step coming on... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2dzpxx5x said:
Picked up this saw today (8", 14 ppi, make a lovely dovetail saw for someone if I'm any judge), with the intention of giving it The Works - clean, sharpen, new handle - and then finding some poor sap, er, discriminating punter who'd like to buy it. :wink:

A new handle would be "ultimate", but the existing handle ain't too bad, and could be easily improved by rasping the corners off.

Might I assume, given the 2-nut fixing typical on small saws that the handle is currently loose ;-)

Other than that, I'd rate the condition "pretty good" - moderate surface rust, and a good heavy back.

There's definitely a fine working saw waitin' there.

BugBear (who filed an 18 TPI saw over the weekend. MY EYES HURT!)

Funnily enough the handle's as tight as a tight thing - but the blasted nuts are spinnin', so it'd mean a bit more of a struggle to replace it than I originally thought. I've already cleaned it up and sharpened it - just waiting on a yes or no from an enquiry before I go the whole hog...

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf
Just an idea on the nuts :wink: , are they the push on ones that look like proper ones as i have ha some on a saw before :)

Colin C":3grjhhn5 said:
Hi Alf
Just an idea on the nuts :wink: , are they the push on ones that look like proper ones as i have ha some on a saw before :)

Me too.

On a cheap saw I bought solely so I could re-use the nuts.

The best laid plans...

BugBear

Alf":2f8hn4iy said:
Funnily enough the handle's as tight as a tight thing - but the blasted nuts are spinnin', so it'd mean a bit more of a struggle

I had success (the one time I tried it) with cleaning the nut carefully with meths, expoxying a suitable nut on, and then using a spanner to hold the nut, whilst turning the screw from the other side.

I used "real" 24-hours-to-set epoxy; I'm the patient type.

The nut is removed using heat; I used boiling water.

BugBear

Colin C":zg2b86hx said:
Hi Alf
Might be, although I don't recall ones with slots before... But I wasn't going to try them too much until I knew where I stood with the sale (no pressure, you-know-who...
waiting.gif
) If it's up to me, it's likely out with the Dremel and make me some slots - I'm the impatient type... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":fmedlbdp said:
Might be, although I don't recall ones with slots before...

Cheers, Alf

Alf
I have taken some out that had slots :evil: ( PITA ) as it took a while to fiigger this out :roll:

Oh joy... ](*,) Gad, but sometimes I wonder why I have anything to do with refurbishing tools. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":21rz4u98 said:
Oh joy... ](*,) Gad, but sometimes I wonder why I have anything to do with refurbishing tools. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Because its so much fun :roll: :shock: :)

Back