Dovetail Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone out there the owner of the Blue Spruce dovetail chisels? If so what are they like to use and how do they compare with makes like Ashley Ilse/Maples etc?

A2 very much harder than UK. probably around 62Rc. Very well ground so very little prep work to the back.

Beautifully turned and finished hardwood handles and nicely executed ferrule arrangement.

The crossection of these chisels is very odd, thinish in the first place with longitudinal scallops along both sides. These hollows result in a very thin edge along both sides.

Not described very well I'm afraid, but no similarity whatever to UK makes, and no similarity of price.

David C

bspruce_0002.jpg

bspruce_0003.jpg

Extremely good at edge retention. Fit the hand well, easy to control. Do not use a mallet--but then I saw and pare my DTs. The above is the 1/4". All three of us own some. And will order some more from Dave.

Take care, Mike

Waka

I do not believe that you can compare the Blue Spruce chisels with most other bench or paring chisels. The one exception are the LN bench chisels which have similar balance. All others just feel different, are longer or thicker in the blade, or lack the narrow shoulders that made dovetail paring with these chisels such a pleasure.

I reserve my BS chisels for fine detail work. They are rarely used more generally. They are never used with a mallet (mine have African Blackwood handles, and I doubt that they would hold up to this treatment).

Compared with the LN, the handles of the BS are slighty longer, which fits my hand better. The LN, on the other hand, can either be used with the longer handles (as designed by David) for paring, or the #750 style handles are suitable for wacking as well as pushing.

The BS are only available in sizes 1/8" - 1/2". I have a custom 3/4" but I doubt that Dave will make this one again (it is my design). Dave also makes skews (and again mine are customised - same design as the LN).

Dovetailchisels2.jpg

Beautiful chisels, both in design and in construction. They take and hold a great edge. Altogether a delight to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I don't normally get excited about chisels, but Mike Hancock of Classic Hand Tools brought some along to Dave's bash last week. I thought they were the best chisels I'd ever seen and if I could have afforded to would have bought them. I thought they were far more comfortable and better balanced than the LNs he had also brought along. My favourites were the ones with the African Blackwood handles.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

aw go on dom, give us a break and go down the slope, you know you want too :twisted: :lol:

in view of your long term aims maybe you should lay some things for when you begin 8)

paul :wink:

and since they are american, you need to buy whilst the dollar is low :roll: :twisted:

so lets see that's a set of blues spruce chisels, and a wenzloff saw or two,
how much further can i tip you :lol:

you know i mean it :twisted:

I was raised in some of the worst parts of London, then the bar trade for many years. I have seen wickedness, but for pure evil Paul..............
:)

Dom

moi :roll:

look you have just bought a domino, now you have to balance it up
with some proper tools :twisted:

look at it another way you have taught some of us so much, now you need to learn from us :lol:

Thanks for the replys guys and the lovely pic's, they do look nice.

I've just heard that Manbag Tony bought some this weekend, Tony have you used them yet?

Jeez........ :lol:
Its almost as if Waka is goading Tony :lol:
I see a "Battle of the Tools" on the horizon...... :roll:
Philly :D

Back