Dovetail a Day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else taken this plan on? I just started yesterday in an effort to build on my handtool skills. These are pretty fun to do and are a great way to spend some time focusing and thinking.

Here are my Day One efforts.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/ ... tails.html

Attachments

• DT Day1_015.JPG
    DT Day1_015.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 404
Hi Pete, I'm a little suprised to no comments.
I am no expert, but I do recall being taught that the weight of the spine on a Tenon saw helped to give a vertical cut. Therefore when cutting dovetails the board should be rotated in the vice to so that the saw ran vertically in making the cuts. This means that less work is required by the to keep the saw kerf to the line. Obviously the board would need moving for the other side of the tails.
HTH
xy

Pete

Like the idea and I'll use it myself when I go back in the workshop once the weather warms up as I want to make a few dovetailed pieces this year.

Nice idea and an interesting link, Pete. Must try that myself. Not your first dovetails, I`d guess, but I hope you`ll post some updates from time to time, so we can see your progress!

Ian

I think they look great, I still enjoy cutting dovetails today as much as I did when my Grandfather taught me some 35 years ago. We practised dovetail cutting at college on a daily basis for a week or two when I was learning and still believe practise makes perfect. Keep up the good work and Blog.
I made this video a couple of years ago demonstrating lapped dovetails, having just watched it again I find that some of my techniques and tools have changed but that’s the fun thing about woodworking its always moves on.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... ng_videos/

Happy Dovetail cutting Peter

Thanks gang! I'll snap some photos of all my attempts and get them posted.

XY - I may have to try that, tilting the board so that the cut is vertical. I didn't think of that!

I would say if you are already starting to get proficient with cutting the slope for the tails then the board tilt is an unneeded extra that will take time lining up. If its slightly out of vertical then you will still be fighting the weight of the blade. Which is minimal for dovetail saws especially mine as it is made by Veritas and has the polymer spine.

I'm trying to learn to dovetail in the little spare time I have too. I want to be good enough with the saw so that I can clamp once and then do all of the cuts.

But then again there is no correct way and what works for one person is different for someone else.

I think your dovetails are looking really nice at the moment!

James C":thgxow6n said:
...... If its slightly out of vertical then you will still be fighting the weight of the blade......

I agree with all you say James, but I would like to comment on the above. The force required to stop a backsaw drifting away from its alignment is dependant upon the amount of 'lean' from vertical. The closer the required lean to the vertical, the less corrective force required.

Having said that a lighter backsaw, finer set and lots of practise will all help. As you say, there is no one correct way of doing anything to do with woodworking. For me it's all about enjoying working with wood.

xy

I totally agree. I was just offering my opinion. I prefer just sawing wood to spending time making sure it is at a precise angle before I begin to saw it.

mn pete":17yjb5g7 said:
Has anyone else taken this plan on? I just started yesterday in an effort to build on my handtool skills. These are pretty fun to do and are a great way to spend some time focusing and thinking.

I read a wonderful version of this, that said everyone has a certain number of bad dovetails in them, and you just have to get them out of your system!

http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... tales.html

Edit; credit where credit is due:

It was originated by Anthony Seo in 1996.

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php? ... 28#message

BugBear

Back