Doors: Return to stain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fevvahz

Reaction score
I've started stripping some doors in my 1930's semi. They're caked with thick paint, and I expected bare wood underneath. I decided to strip it back, and repaint them. However once I'd started to strip it back with a hot air gun, and noticing at how easily it stripped off, that below was a dark stain.

Now I'm rather taken by this stain, and the wood grain and pattern showing theough, and would like to change my plans. However I'd got a bit of a conundrum. I'm wondering whats the best way to maintain the colour, but get a nice finish?

I've started sanding one door lightly with 120 grit, and the surface is quite uneven, more character than imperfections, perhaps due to the age of the wood, and its caused the high spots to return to the natural wood colour. I assume with the age of the doors, that its probably an oil based stain. So do you think if I just lightly keyed the surface then I'd be able to apply a suitable finish? I dont want to have to sand everything back to bare wood and start again, if thats the case I might as well paint them.

Back