Domino or not domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Established Member
Reaction score
I am reading with interest various snippets about the domino system and want (if I am honest) to justify the purchase of this tool. I do lots of face frame, some more chunky frames, doors (large and small), carcassing and even few actual real wood commissions. 8)

So (in my head) my questions is simple why would I spend £600 on a domino machine + stuff.

The sub questions, is not so simple, what benefits would I get on what projects? Or in other words I suppose, what do you use yours for, that you have found better, quicker cheaper with a domino?

I know I am a tortured sole! But help me out please.

If you want to try before you buy you could come up and see me. I've been using one for some time so I'm sure I can answer any questions you have.
Si

Hi Wizzer.

Thanks for your considered opinion. :lol: I take it that its come up more than once.

Sounds like your a fan anyway.

I did a bit of searching before asking. May be its the search engine, but I got 250 threads. Many dating back a few years and only passing by the subject.

If you know of a good thread on the subject I would be grateful.

Graeme":18r87ru0 said:
May be its the search engine, but I got 250 threads. Many dating back a few years and only passing by the subject.

It's the worst search engine in the whole wide world. Save yourself the headache.........look through every thread that has ever been written, in order.............it's so much simpler than relying on the search engine.

Mike

I have never known anyone* regret the purchase of a Domino system. The cost is forgotton within weeks when you realise how much easier and quicker it can make your working life.

I keep finding new uses for mine. I used it the other day for making slotted screw holes for allowing movement in a solid wood cabinet top.

I find it very useful for making big wardrobe face frames without glue. I can then finish them in the work shop and glue them up on site if access is tight.

*Doctor is a bit lukewarm. But he's just being contrary!

Cheers
Brad

It all depends on what sort of work you do. The Domino is just a way of cutting loose tenons very, very efficiently and accurately, and as Brad says, you will find new uses for it. I use it for buttons, instead of routing a groove, for example.

When you say "doors, large and small" just how large is large? It has a limited range, so if by "large" you mean architectural doors, then you are likely to be disappointed. But if your work falls into the domino-sized category, and it sounds as if a lot of it does, then you will wonder why you have left it so long.

S

Graeme

I'm just a hobby woodworker and my shop time is pretty limited with a nagging wife and two kids. I generally only get a couple of hours a week in the shop, so the Domino has been a real godsend to me.

I'm currently coming to the end of a sideboard build that has been assembled entirely by using the Domino. Due to my limited shop time, this project has taken me a couple of months, but I reckon that if I had worked solidly on it, it would have only taken me about two and a half days to get it to this point, including pre-finishing all the sub assemblies before the final glue up. Cutting the joints literally took no more than a couple of hours tops.

IMG_6378a.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, but my workshop is too small to set up properly for taking photos.

For the kind of work you do, I'd imagine that the Domino would pay for itself within a matter of weeks. Don't hesitate further, get it ordered.

Cheers

Aled

It's lovely Aled, if I wasn't already sold, I'd er now be sold on the domino.

Can we just have a big banner across the top of the forum that says "BUY THE DOMINO, IT WILL CHANGE YOUR (LOVE) LIFE"

:D

Thanks Tom.

I've just updated my WIP in the projects thread. If you check that thread out, I've posted pics of the construction of the doors etc.

Dead simple, and did I mention how quick it was? :wink:

Cheers

Aled

hi

can someone pinpoint as objectively as possible the pros & cons of the domino over a regular biscuit jointer?

i cannot see much difference (i mean functionally), but then I've never used any of them.

thanks

I picked a Domino up and waggled its' bits around today for the first time in Axminster's (High Wycombe) today. Yep Waka, it does feel nice :). It seems to operate "just so", as it ought to do. I like mechanics that feel like that. Crikey, you pay for it though. And no, I was in for a pillar drill - much lower budget!

Boz

The price is obviously the same wherever you go for the actual unit - but what else should one get with a domino? The systainer of dominoes? What fences\attachments\cutters? Of these "other" bits what are likely to get thrown in for free if you were to "haggle."

Harrogate is days away and I can see the urge to buy something. Especially if it speeds up the process of making stuff for the shop, i.e. windows.

All this discussion on the Domino has made me realise just how useful (and good value) my biscuit joiner is!
The trouble is, when you really need mortise and tenon joints (larger tables, internal / external doors etc) the Domino is not up to it as far as I can tell, and when you don't need that level of joint the biscuit joiner will do? The only exception seems to be narrow components where the shape of the biscuit is wrong.
The strange thing is, the biscuit joiner has always been scoffed at by woodworkers for real furniture yet the Domino is heralded as being the best thing since sliced bread. Why is this? Is it because the strength of the Domino is so much greater than the biscuit - I've not seen evidence to support that. Or is it just good marketing on Festool's part?
Cheers
Gidon

I would tend to agree with gidon. Good marketing on Festools part. I think they are over priced. Yes, very good quality, but then you get stung with all the extras, consumables, cost of domino's etc. And once you buy a Festool product you are buying into the rest of the range because they all compliment each other. I think sometimes there are alternatives which may work just as well, but once you have a Festool product you end up wanting more!!!!

I am sure that all of the major manufacturers are trying to figure out a way past the Festool patents in order to come up with a product that is equivalent. Or they are trying to find a patent of theirs that Festool violates so that they can force a cross licensing deal. After all did it really take 25 years after the first biscuit cutter came out that the next one hit the market.

Latest posts

Back