dominion woodworking tool.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgs46

Reaction score
Have a dominion woodworking tool, it has an electric planner, radial saw and a bench saw all working off one motor and all works.
Has anyone any idea the age and a price to sell as it is just taking up room in the garage.
Thanks mike.

Hi Mike

do you mean a combination machine ?

Also a photo of said machine and a model number will help in the ID and price guide

Yes a combination machine, and it has Minor Elliot (Serial no F81 ?)
It has a lot of saw blades and wide heads for cutting housing joints I think?

I have worked Dominion machines in the past, they were well built bits of kit. Never came across the Elliot or combination variant though.

I have one. Fantastic bit of rugged kit, but you need a fair bit of space to run round it. You should see its bigger (and I do mean BIGGER) brother. Sam

This maker began as W. A. Elliot after its founder, William Albert Elliot of Toronto. The name changed about 1912, when Elliot began making combination woodworking machines aimed at house carpenters. In rapid succession he developed, patented, and introduced new designs, also adding other machines to his lineup, including sanders, scrollsaws, and jointers. So far as we can tell, in or shortly after 1918, the business was sold to Dominion Machinery Co., Ltd., of Halifax England, which continued to make combination machines sold as Elliot Woodworkers.

During the years 1913 to 1918, Elliot fought a pitched battle against another Toronto builder of combination machines: Mackintosh Hutchinson. Both men aggressively patented their innovations. Apparently Elliot got the upper hand in the ensuing litigation: whatever the merits of their designs, in 1918 the rights to Hutchinson's products. "...the Hutchinson Woodworker, which was claimed to be an infringement on the Elliot, has been taken over by them."

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... px?id=1035

jack

I have taken some pictures of the Dominion Minor Elliot.
How do I get them on here! It's telling me one photo is too big, anyone any ideas!
Thanks

Jack? Are you sure this is the same Elliot company? I have what you would call the "dirty paper" on my machine and it references a factory in the English Midlands, with this machine later than your reference. I can try to scan and publish it here if it helps? Sam

SammyQ":3n9jz0kp said:
Jack? Are you sure this is the same Elliot company? I have what you would call the "dirty paper" on my machine and it references a factory in the English Midlands, with this machine later than your reference. I can try to scan and publish it here if it helps? Sam

yes please do there is very little on the machine. and no one piece of dirty paper have been posted.

and yes this is the same Elliot company.the source of information is from
a 1913 issue of "Canadian Builder and Carpenter"
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPa ... p?id=12003

jack

File size must be 256Kb or less to upload to the UKW server as an attachment, most JPG images reduced to 1024 pixels or less will be well below this limit.

Similar Image resolution sizes apply to Off site URL references.

Most image editing software has the ability to save at different resolutions/file sizes.

Or specific add on software like Image Resizer can do it from a right click drop down menu.

Here are some photos

Attachments

• DSCF3212 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF3212 (640x480).jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF3206 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF3206 (640x480).jpg
    241 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCF3210 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF3210 (640x480).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 484
Can do. Watch this space; I'll get something posted in the next couple of days. - I'll have to take the brochure into work as my scanner here is up the Swanney.

Edit: got it working:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam_sawdust/6703600927/
6703600927_77b95a4fde_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam_sawdust/6703607267/
6703607267_a87b0d0a86_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam_sawdust/6703618733/
6703618733_7e5cd7ebef_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam_sawdust/6703625961/
6703625961_59de80390a_b.jpg

Sorry about the URL's, but I can't seem to post photos tonight.

Mod edit: images displayed
Jack, I think we are at cross purposes. As you can see, the manufacturer is Dominion, not Elliot, but the model or range is called "Elliot" - if there is a link to your older reference, I don't know.
Sam

Snap! (Geddit- snap/photo??Doh!) You've actually got a few blades I'm missing. I'm putting the original manual through the scanner for Jack613/english machines - see other post. Sam

Well I'm just finishing a rebuild of the 'Supreme Elliot" 16x9 combination woodworker shown in the pamphlet in the post above - all 1.6 tons of it! All I'm missing now is the white coat the bloke is wearing, though perhaps it's "blokes in white coats to take me away" that I need!

SammyQ":1f7x5t7y said:
You must have a very strong back! I'm struggling to heave and heft the mere 400 lbs of my Wadkin overhaul.

Sam

Wouldn't be possible without my forklift truck - an essential piece of kit if you have big toys!

Did you come up with a price or even manage to sell this? My late father had one of these machines too which has sat unused for a number of years now. I was thinking of listing it on ebay, but came across this website so maybe I'll try here if I could determine a reasonable price.

John

agombar":1ssq5ycv said:
Did you come up with a price or even manage to sell this? My late father had one of these machines too which has sat unused for a number of years now. I was thinking of listing it on ebay, but came across this website so maybe I'll try here if I could determine a reasonable price.

John

I didn't do it for sale - I did it for my own use so prices are rather irrevelant, but if you look at the individual machine that it comprises, what would you pay for a 16" x9" planer thicknesser, a 20" bench saw and a 14" radial arm saw? Each item unbolts from its plinth and with a bit of ingenuity can be used stand alone - infact I understand that at one time Dominion sold upgrade kits to do precisely this.

Scrap at £200 /ton for heavy scrap and it's worth £320 but I reckon for one in rebuilt condition it must be worth several thousand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back