Domestic Generator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken the "solar generator" route just to supply the 3 pumps on the woodfired central heating system which take 65 watts when all running. It works as a uninterruptible power supply and the common junction box for the pumps just plugged into it. It will run the pumps for 10 hours and has solar panels to charge it if cuts last for longer than that.
Without that, if the power goes out I would have to douse the fire to prevent boiling in the system.
We are due to get rolling cuts of 2 hours here in France over the winter and have already seen overnight temperatures of -7.
We have several battery lamps for light and a couple of camping stoves for coffee.
The solar generator (an Ecoflow) also has usb and 12v outlets for charging small stuff.
An app tells me what's going on with input and output as the system is in the cellar so it helps me to know which pumps are running and if I need to get more heat out of the fire for the radiator pump to kick in.

Personally I wouldn't consider sizing a genny to cope with any form of heat. A portable gas stove and a few disposable cylinders is much cheaper than adding 3+ kva to the capacity of your generator just to retain the convenience of a kettle or microwave.

Superduner
a very sensable system.....

having lived abroad most of my life, in the poorer countries, u take power cuts as the norm......
once geared up propane cooker, rechargeable torches, lamps etc it's all quite easy to sort out....
we keep everything to hand once the weather turns.....ie. torches in every room top of the stairs etc.....
OH, and remember ur wifi box will die when the power goes off so either use ur phones hot spot or include
the wifi to the extension lead.....
our wood boiler is in an outhouse 5 steps away from the back door.....
in the same place I store the genny......
My first job when I moved in was to fit an isolator switch with a Neon to the power feed of the circulation pump and then a power socket under that for the pump feed wire...should say power sockets abroad are not switched.....the first thing to get pluged in when the genny is running is the pump so no steam explosions.....
it's suprising how little elec u need once u try...
it's all about developing a habit.....
Personally there will always be power cuts as the system in the UK is always run on the limit.....get used to it.....lol......

as for motors running on a genny my rule of thumb is the need for 10x the wattage on start up....but thats for just a few sec's....

I've also got a normal ups on the incoming fibre box, which will keep the internet going for a little while. Also on the main pc and the tv/sat box, but they don't last long - mainly there for surge protection.

as for motors running on a genny my rule of thumb is the need for 10x the wattage on start up....but thats for just a few sec's....
This came up in conversation recently, someone who wanted a backup for a fridge and freezer.
Would 10x continuous rating work in that instance? I suppose if the combined continuous rating is 250w you'd need 2.5kw in case they both start simultaneously, or have I missed something?

The Hyundai one looks promising But they won’t deliver offshore. Have a look at the weather in Shetland at the moment it’s a bit rough.
Here is a real case for having a decent backup genny with auto switching. Might be worth looking at a group effort if you have some neighbours and collectively buy a larger genny that can supply the group.

Yes. That lot sounds like it will barely add up to a kilowatt. A 2kW portable genny would probably sort you out. I'd be looking for a compact quiet suitcase type that starts reliably. I'd put it outside the back door of the kitchen and stick the extension lead through the catflap.
DO put the essential services on three pin plugs so you can shift them to the extension lead.
DON'T think about trying to feed into the household wiring unless you are willing to spend serious money on an electrician to rewire the house to do this safely. Many electricians won't have done this before so choose carefully if you go that route.
I'd make do with a standard lamp or two for lighting. It will be enough and there are multiple issues if you start messing with your lighting circuits.

Unless you live in the sticks, I imagine power cuts aren't long and frequent. No need to go overboard.
Excellent advice!

Hi all, in retirement I decided to re-kindle my passion for camera work and video editing and as this means a lot of very expensive equipment that has to be in an environment free of cold and damp and as energy costs are now so high I looked at alternative power sources and finally decided on a generator, after much investigation I realised this was going to be a costly exercise and decided diesel was the way to go ( red diesel is legal to use for domestic power generation when I last checked ) also generators that run at 1500rpm are recommended for various reasons and eventually after much searching I came across a single cylinder Lister diesel 3kw unit circa 1975, which had been professionally installed as a full system in a remote cottage off the grid, a lucky find, it is old but had not been used for many years and has been very well cared for, I bought it and now it is housed in a shed with 4" of sound insulation, ( it is loud but silencers are now fitted ) well ventilated etc and supplies 3kw to power a 3kw industrial fan heater ( via 13amp socket ) so it does what it says on the tin, in half an hour of running it lifts the temperature on the thermostat for the central heating from 16.5 to 20 degrees and used about .1 to .2 of a litre of diesel, ( this actually stops the combi boiler from kicking in and saves on gas! ) I have not used it for any great length of time so far and this is a guess as it has no fuel gauge, these generators are hard to find in good condition but are built to last if the problem of noise, vibration, etc are solved then it's a back up worth trying, very pleased.

Am considering buying a petrol generator as standby.
1950's 4 bedroom standard built detached house. Ideally need sufficient power for freezer, gas heating boiler, electric flue fan for gas Aga, minimum lighting.
No need for electric hob, oven, kettle or iron. Power for PC and tv preferable.
Thinking of 240v and extension leads.
Feasible?
Have settled on a 3.8kw petrol Hyundai for about £650

( red diesel is legal to use for domestic power generation when I last checked )
Things are changing with the supply of red, several takes on the direction but going to be a contentious issue. It always used to be that you paid duty on diesel for road use, IE DERV (diesel engined road vehicle ) but now it might be changing. One thing I have heard is that red becomes no more, so farmers / fishermen use DERV but then claim back the duty so a way of tightening usage. As for gennys then read this

https://www.tynetechnicalservicesltd.co.uk/red-diesel-law-changes-what-it-means-for-your-generator/

Basically the government hitting the working end of the market whilst ignoring non dom status and tax avoidance because that has more impact on their associates.

I have a little diesel genny to keep my fish alive if we get a power cut, I'm not so worried about anything else, I'll light the fire pit to heat water and cook.
It sounds good! I'm planning to install a fireplace in my house this summer, so it will be warm in case of a power outage. But I've recently read this article https://realtytimes.com/headlines/item/1046220-5-reasons-to-have-a-genеrator-for-your-home and it made me think that a generator is still worth buying.
And I want to thank everyone for sharing your experiences, it will definitely help me make the choice.

It sounds good! I'm planning to install a fireplace in my house this summer, so it will be warm in case of a power outage. But I've recently read this article https://realtytimes.com/headlines/item/1046220-5-reasons-to-have-a-genеrator-for-your-home and it made me think that a generator is still worth buying.
And I want to thank everyone for sharing your experiences, it will definitely help me make the choice.
We have a back up generator it gives us piece of mind that if they grid goes down we can happily tick over for a couple of days. It’s a 3kva which will run the heating (oil) and the fridge and freezer.
We have a log burner and gas hob, tried to cover all bases 🙂

Back