Does size matter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkshirepudding

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in something of a quandary. Choosing between two lathes, should I go for
a) 16" over bed and 2 hp or
b) 21" over bed and 1.5 hp?
Would I miss that 1/2 hp or would I miss the extra capacity more?

Hi

Depends on your needs and the functionality of the lathe.

If the larger HP one has a swivelling headstock to allow large diameters to be turned alongside the bed I'd go for that.

My decision would also be tempered by the manufacturer

Regards Mick

A 16" bowl is pretty big, unless you have access to some truly huge lumps of wood and plan on making very large bowls then the 16" would seem more than adequate, I have a jet 1642 which has a 16" bowl capacity, and although I have recently turned some that have been that big, they are pretty unusual.

I'd say size does matter but those two are beyond the point where the extra size of the 21" is likely to be a significant issue.

As Mick says I'd bring other things into play. Availability of chucks is a big issue and the lathe build quality and weight are just as important as over bed capacity and motor size IMHO.

Motor power can sometimes be confusing if input or output power are quoted.
And you can always take lighter cuts if the motor stalls but it's hard to work without a decent chuck.
HTH
Jon

chipmunk":32nzex01 said:
Availability of chucks is a big issue
Really ?? The Axminster AK114 and the Versachuck are both great chucks and are available for just about every spindle thread available.
I don't see this as any sort of issue in lathe choice, especially if buying new.

As others have said, build / weight is important for the larger stuff. Could you say which models specifically you are looking at?

Also consider range of speeds. Variable or pulley change? If you want to turn larger stuff then variable is a real bonus as you can avoid resonant speeds and start slowly etc. If variable, how many ratios (a good 'low gear' is important for large stuff as can compensate for lower power).

More info needed really.

S

With some turnings, you might be limited to the maximum diameter less twice the height of the tool rest, which could reduce it by three or four inches. Your 21 or 16 then become 18 or 12.
The difference between 1.5hp and 2hp would only be significant when taking large cuts close to the maximum diameter. The difference wouldn't be significant, it might just mean taking slightly lighter cuts.

Another factor worth considering, you will probably find the larger diameter lathe has a wider headstock, which means the spindle bearings will be farther apart. This effectively means you could turn things with greater overhang. i.e. taller hollow forms etc.

My choice would be for the larger diameter.

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. The two lathes I'm torn between are the Record Maxi 1 and the Jet 1642. Both are good sturdy lathes and I've used the Jet at my club and not been totally sold on it. The switchgear in particular seems stiff and clunky. The Record seems rather old fashioned but well built and bullet proof and is a more comfortable height for me. I've until the New Year to mull it over.

Rhossydd":1dc0hfwk said:
chipmunk":1dc0hfwk said:
Availability of chucks is a big issue
Really ?? The Axminster AK114 and the Versachuck are both great chucks and are available for just about every spindle thread available.
I don't see this as any sort of issue in lathe choice, especially if buying new.

You may be right if we're talking new lathes but I don't think the OP has told us that.

My point was that if the choice was between second hand lathes with M33x3.5 headstock thread and M30x1.5 there's little doubt in my mind that the options with the former are much wider. With the latter you'd have no chance of fitting anything other than SK114, Versachuck or Patriot which I agree are great chucks but they're not cheap and what about collet chucks or faceplates? Forget it.

You could get a thread adaptor made but then you're compromising the build quality and stability by pushing the work away from the bearings. So, I do think it is a consideration IMHO.

Jon

yorkshirepudding":1xynsqit said:
Hi Guys, thanks for the input. The two lathes I'm torn between are the Record Maxi 1 and the Jet 1642. Both are good sturdy lathes and I've used the Jet at my club and not been totally sold on it. The switchgear in particular seems stiff and clunky. The Record seems rather old fashioned but well built and bullet proof and is a more comfortable height for me. I've until the New Year to mull it over.

Both are good lathes IMHO. I've a 1642 and been very happy with it but if you prefer the Maxi 1 I'd go for that and follow your instincts.
It's not really a Record lathe - I think it's actually a re-badged Woodfast lathe from Australia and there've been some gems over the years coming up from "down under".

Maxi%201_600x450.jpg

crbst_c1000x.jpg

HTH
Jon

Personally I would chuck the Jet 3520 into the mix but it sounds like you really want the Maxi 1 and if you buy anything else you will always wish you had got that. :)

For me a big advantage of the Record is the rotating headstock - even for smaller bowls I pretty much always rotate the headstock (on my Wivamac) to make access easier and save my back. I have better control of the tools when I'm not leaning over the bed. That's probably just down to what I'm used to though.

The Record also appears to have a remote control box - these are great and a good safety feature when working on large turnings (either hollowing at the end of the bed or when the headstock is rotated).

Now the Record has been updated with the M33 X 3.5 it looks to be my favourite. As Jon said, it's a rebadged Woodfast and none the worse for that. The Jet is also available under other brands too - Powermatic for one.

duncanh":38ewku1f said:
For me a big advantage of the Record is the rotating headstock - even for smaller bowls I pretty much always rotate the headstock (on my Wivamac) to make access easier and save my back. I have better control of the tools when I'm not leaning over the bed. That's probably just down to what I'm used to though.

The Record also appears to have a remote control box - these are great and a good safety feature when working on large turnings (either hollowing at the end of the bed or when the headstock is rotated).

Don't forget that you can remove the tailstock and slide the headstock and banjo to the end of the bed on the 1642 which is more stable IMHO and gives even better access. Like the Maxi 1 though it really benefits from either an outboard attachment or in the case of the 1642 a lower mounted bed extension like the 3520 to get more clearance to turn larger pieces.

Axminster used to sell a cheap bed extension complete with banjo and toolpost stem extension for their AWVSWL 1200 that I bought and fitted to my Jet 1642. At just over £50 it was a bargain but I'm not sure whether they sell it any more.

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":3229py35 said:
they're not cheap
With the OP looking at buying a lathe with that capacity, I wouldn't have expected a few extra quid on the price of a chuck to be a factor in which lathe to buy.
M33x3.5 headstock thread and M30x1.5........ what about collet chucks or faceplates?
The M33 is a pretty standard 'serious lathe' size, so bits are easy enough to come by.
M30x1.5 ?? now that is obscure.

Rhossydd":1y23njcz said:
M30x1.5 ?? now that is obscure.

I know it is which was my point :wink:

I've never come across a lathe that uses one but both the SK114 and Patriot have it as an option and so there must be some demand, and hence second hand lathes, somewhere like here....

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/finding-a-face-plate-that-will-fit-my-lathe-t69523.html

...and all I was saying was that if you are considering buying a lathe like that then your chuck options will be limited.

Jon

Grahamshed":271u2xbn said:
Personally I would chuck the Jet 3520 into the mix but it sounds like you really want the Maxi 1 and if you buy anything else you will always wish you had got that. :)

I did consider the 3520 but at £600 more I ruled it out. Again it has the clunky Jet switchgear. We also have one of those at the club and switching it off in a hurry is a bit hit and miss. Something I could possibly get used to but I have an irrational mental block where it's concerned.

chipmunk":1xtxn37j said:
duncanh":1xtxn37j said:

Don't forget that you can remove the tailstock and slide the headstock and banjo to the end of the bed on the 1642 which is more stable IMHO and gives even better access. Like the Maxi 1 though it really benefits from either an outboard attachment or in the case of the 1642 a lower mounted bed extension like the 3520 to get more clearance to turn larger pieces.

Axminster used to sell a cheap bed extension complete with banjo and toolpost stem extension for their AWVSWL 1200 that I bought and fitted to my Jet 1642. At just over £50 it was a bargain but I'm not sure whether they sell it any more.

HTH
Jon

Yes, the headstocks on the Jet lathes slide but you need extra space to work in and will need to remove the tailstock every time- quite a bit of weight to be lugging around regularly. Unless you get one of those hinged devices (which presumably Jet sell) for extra cash.

duncanh":3aayc3q1 said:
- quite a bit of weight to be lugging around regularly.

That's an interesting point of view. I must admit I often take off the tailstock on my 1642 to get it out of the way and never thought of it as being particularly heavy or much of an issue. It's fitted with a round clamping washer which means it comes off and goes back on without any bother.

Jon

Latest posts

Back