Does PVA glue go off by itself?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Does new PVA glue deteriorate by itself?

If you open a new bottle and pour the glue into a smaller bottle so that there's almost no air inside the bottle, will the glue still go off?

Iirc the instructions on a new bottle of Everbuild D4 actually said not to store below 5c or a above 25c (that's D4, which I know is slightly different) but if you keep within these limits and as you say have little or no air space it will last a lot longer. I tip all mine into a small bottle for use.

I had a bottle that still went off although I squeezed all the air out of the bottle before putting the cap back on. But that was after about 3 years, it went transparent and smelt of vinegar.

It seems if you don't use a lot of glue, it's not worth getting the bigger bottles even though they're cheaper per volume, because it'll goes off before you use it all.

i buy enough PVA to last between spring and late autumn. then start fresh each year. that is mainly because of potential frost damage, rather than it going off. it isnt worth the risk, for the (very) few extra pounds a year it costs me.

My ordinary pva's start to deteriorate I use them for sealing end the grain of blanks, mixing with mortar or brushing onto the bare concrete floor of my garage, so nothing really gets wasted. Of course D4 isn't much use for blanks as it's waterproof, which isn't ideal for that purpose.

I bought 20l of PVA about 4 years ago, can't remember the brand. I bought it because it was cheaper to buy the 4 pack than the singles that were available elsewhere, no idea why. Anyway, it's been stored below freezing and above 25 degrees and is still absolutely fine as far as I can see. I decant it into a ketchup squeezer and keep it 'sealed' by sticking a nail in the top. I get occasional lumps, but apart form that it's been great.

All pva glue has a date expiry on the bottles,i use quite a lot of the stuff but a friend of mine who is a joiner too was shocked when i told him, he thought i was winding him up!

JohnPW":ie30spnm said:
If you open a new bottle and pour the glue into a smaller bottle so that there's almost no air inside the bottle, will the glue still go off?
Airspace above the glue might not have any effect John. Glue isn't like varnish or paint (much more similar to water-bourne finishes) so exposure to air in the container shouldn't make the same kind of difference since there's no reaction with oxygen.

That's with a basic white PVA though, these seem to have a nearly indefinite shelf life as long as the container has an airtight cap. But woodworking PVAs can have various additives or are modified in some way and these do seem to shorten the shelf life.

Something I've noticed with Evostik Resin W is that it starts to develop small, very hard lumps - more like large grit - if it's stored for more than about a year or so (and that's stored indoors, too). Rather a problem, because you don't really notice them until you spread it on the job; you then have to carefully pick them all off before mating the parts, which is a real pain. Nowadays, I tend to swallow the additional cost and buy a small bottle for a job and use it up as soon as I can - obviously not a pro solution, but works for the bumbling amateur.

Low temperatures are my main focus of concern.
Particularly when buying PVA in early spring, I look at the date of
manufacture. I try to buy only fresh made batches, as you never know if it was
stored properly during the winter.

I've had Titebond separate out like this,

Bad-Glue-1.jpg

Bad-Glue-2.jpg

Titebond advised that a good shake would sort out the problem.

Why take the risk is my attitude, if there are hundreds of hours sunk into a project why put all that effort and your reputation on the line? So in the bin it went.

Attachments

• Bad-Glue-1.jpg
    Bad-Glue-1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,412
  • Bad-Glue-2.jpg
    Bad-Glue-2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,404
custard":gip1wbhq said:
Why take the risk is my attitude, if there are hundreds of hours sunk into a project why put all that effort and your reputation on the line? So in the bin it went.
I agree.
I do not understand the debate about decanting it or any other method to try to prolong the shelf life. A bottle of glue costs £10, suppliers will deliver it next day why would you take the risk of it not bonding let alone the repetitional harm.
If the glue is still in the bottle six months after purchase -bin it

Latest posts

Back