Does HDF Actually Exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt scarlett

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried so hard to find sheets of HDF, and google is showing me nothing. I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't actually exist. Can anyone give me any pointers please?

It's usually down to who makes it as to how good it is. Medite stuff is good quality for instance. If i want a good quality MDF, i'll get Medite MRMDF, which gives a better finish than plain MDF. Kronospan is usually good as well.

Hardboard, what our American cousins insist on referring to as masonite, is an HDF material. In the past hardboard was commonly available in thicknesses other than the usual 1/8" and 1/4", up to a maximum of 1/2" IIRC. At least that's according to the books, I've never seen any in the flesh thicker than 1/4" or 6mm.

High-density MDF is not the same as an HDF product as it used to be defined, but that may not matter. Density may be all that's considered important, that said a great many speakers are made from regular MDF. It's possible that "HDF" is just the new selling point rather than actually being of any real importance.

ED65":31j8xrxm said:
Hardboard, what our American cousins insist on referring to as masonite, is an HDF material. In the past hardboard was commonly available in thicknesses other than the usual 1/8" and 1/4", up to a maximum of 1/2" IIRC. At least that's according to the books, I've never seen any in the flesh thicker than 1/4" or 6mm.

High-density MDF is not the same as an HDF product as it used to be defined, but that may not matter. Density may be all that's considered important, that said a great many speakers are made from regular MDF. It's possible that "HDF" is just the new selling point rather than actually being of any real importance.

AFAIK man made boards can vary almost infinitely, across many different manufacturing parameters.

Any name (e.g. HDF) is just a particular zone (and certainly not a point) in the design envelope, and the name may (or may not) be widely accepted.

BugBear

HDF is simply that, high density. Whether they choose to give it the monicker of HDF or MDF is another matter. You will find that bog standard MDF made by Medite will be considerably better than bog standard MDF from B&Q and will be more dense. MRMDF gives a better finish when routed and painted. One giveaway is the weight of the board. MDF is very heavy and the heavier it is, the more dense it will be. The better stuff will also be dearer. Those in the link, named as high density MDF will be fine for speaker cabinets but as someone else pointed out, some speakers are made of normal MDF.

I thought concrete was the best for speakers? Cheap as chips and no joinery skills required, just cast it to the shape and size required. Only a thought. :lol:

The Festool MFT top is supposed to be made out of HDF isn't it? I had a passing desire a while ago to make a top with all the dog holes in it to make my own MFT style top for my Dewalt tracks, and came to the same conclusion that it was pretty hard to come by and that when it was it was basically thin hardboard (as stated previously).

I would consider over damping when building speakers, too much damping sucks the life out of them, I'd rather use play sand or bracing, this way you can tune them better.

HDF does exist.

It is quite a bit denser / heavier than MDF. A heavy type of hardboard but smooth on both sides, and not fluffy when cut.

My local Floors2Go branch would put it outside for people to take away. It came on the bottom of the pallets between the goods and the pallet itself. The density between sheets would vary, some of them were very hard.

Typically the sheets were an odd size starting at 5mm up to about 12mm. I think it was about 5' by 4' usually although I could be wrong.

Most of the sheets were plain, but there was also a different variety which was basically a very large sheet of seamless flooring laminate. These are continuous and not made from glued together laminate flooring. If you go to a flooring sales branch, you can sometimes see this type being used for displays above the packs of flooring. They make excellent backs for small cupboards with the laminate (fake wood side) facing inwards.

ED65":r1wz35lb said:

I once had a set of speakers which were in cases made from 1/2" hardboard. This led me to search for the stuff as I thought it might make good, inexpensive drawers. But I never could source any!

I did laminate four sheets, of 1/8" hardboard to make moulded seat panels for a set of dining chairs. When I recovered the chairs a few years on, I chose 3mm plywood, and made new seat panels.

HTH :D

oakmitre":22cvjb9m said:
My local Floors2Go branch would put it outside for people to take away. It came on the bottom of the pallets between the goods and the pallet itself. The density between sheets would vary, some of them were very hard.

Floors2go don't seem to have the best of reputation :shock:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Floor ... e&ie=UTF-8

matt scarlett":2qvwtgmn said:
oakmitre":2qvwtgmn said:

I'm not sure that matters too much if you are freeloading HDF from pallets ;)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Bodgers":3userp32 said:
matt scarlett":3userp32 said:
oakmitre":3userp32 said:

I'm not sure that matters too much if you are freeloading HDF from pallets ;)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

^^ (i'm looking for a 'thumbs up' emoji)
I need to get my hands on more than scraps from pallets. However I do appreciate the input. Maybe I could try for some samples, but i'm looking for proper sheets of HDF.

I suspect if you wanted it you could speak to the manager of the store - it costs them to remove these sheets - they were glad to have me take it away.

I have heard of this stuff referred to as 'flooring hardboard' in the past.

Anyway I have cut some B&Q MDF to the same size as the HDF - the HDF is thinner but still heavier. Photo attached.

oakmitre":28qa8jq2 said:
I suspect if you wanted it you could speak to the manager of the store - it costs them to remove these sheets - they were glad to have me take it away.

I have heard of this stuff referred to as 'flooring hardboard' in the past.

Anyway I have cut some B&Q MDF to the same size as the HDF - the HDF is thinner but still heavier. Photo attached.

Photo link doesn't work :(

Back