Does anyone understand how to install Twin\Multiwall Roofing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am favouring the twin\multiwall roofing system for my workshop.

http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html

Thing is im am struggling to get my head around how it all goes together. I assume you buy panels that fit into 'glazing bars'. But I just can't visualise how the system all fits together and what 'accesories' I need. Should I consider having a 'self-supporting' system, whereby the rafters are replaced by glazing bars. What thickness panel do I need? The main thing is the flashing. They have a flashing product, but I can't see how it fits together ... ?

I did email the company and they ignored me, I called today and they told me to look at the website. So no help there then!

Any comments or advice greatly recieved. ](*,)

Sorry WiZeR...no experience but if I were in your position I'd go elsewhere rather than deal with that company. I'm sure that they're not unique in providing this sort of stuff. If they are so abysmal in pre-sales, think how bad they will be in after-sales.

http://www.twinfix.co.uk/
Try these , i've used them a few times and they are very helpful and also cheap ( well i think they are )
If i where you id go for timber rafters and use their rubber gaskets and cappings .
Heres their system on my frame work .
glassrooflight.jpg

Have a look in the screwfix cat.pages 538-541 some more info there.
I can see it would be good for light but in the hot weather you may get over heated.

WiZeR":2pw79vk1 said:
Ok, I am favouring the twin\multiwall roofing system for my workshop.

http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html

Thing is im am struggling to get my head around how it all goes together. I assume you buy panels that fit into 'glazing bars'. But I just can't visualise how the system all fits together and what 'accesories' I need. Should I consider having a 'self-supporting' system, whereby the rafters are replaced by glazing bars. What thickness panel do I need? The main thing is the flashing. They have a flashing product, but I can't see how it fits together ... ?
[snip]
Looks from their website as if they intend you to buy their (expensive?) glazing bars, but that these are only good for self support up to 600mm. Which suggests that you would be best off supporting the stuff above your rafters. I guess the thicknes you need depends on what level of insulation you want. From most peoples' experience, it's probably the more the better, but that will probably cost.

Hi, I recently helped out a collegue fit these sheets. Neither of us had done so before. I cant remember which comapany he used, but I havew to say they were fabulous. Any problems we just called them and they helped out. Thery even worked out exactly which components he needed and which he did not. They were very happy to supply the reall expensive stuf or the cheaper.

the reason I say all the above is just to highlight the fact that such companies exist in that markety and personally I wouldn't touch your company with a bargepole!
Kind regards
mark

Wizer

When I built my conservatory from a Wicks kit they supplied the aluminium glazing bars that need to sit on top of the roof joists for support
(almost 3 meters long ) then rubber gasket then twinwall and a plastic cover cap that spans the gap between 2 sheets
you can still see these bars in white or brown at Wicks stores

Also they sell a self adhesive flashing product which you need to prime the brickwork first but I opted for chasing the wall and fitting a lead flashing

Nigel

Roger Sinden":2dvwxm8o said:
I'd go elsewhere rather than deal with that company.

No Fear!

JFC":2dvwxm8o said:

Cheers, they look very helpful, will email them. Out of interest how did you deal with the join between the bottom of each panel and the roof? I guess the apex is dealt with by type of 'glazing bar'?

OLD":2dvwxm8o said:
Have a look in the screwfix cat.pages 538-541 some more info there.
I can see it would be good for light but in the hot weather you may get over heated.

On that first site they do a roof vent for this system which I may consider. I have this twinwall stuff on the conservatory and it gets mega hot in there.

Nigel":2dvwxm8o said:
Also they sell a self adhesive flashing product which you need to prime the brickwork first but I opted for chasing the wall and fitting a lead flashing

ahh interesting. So how did you deal with the join between the lead and the plastic\glazing bars? This is the bit which has got me scratching my head the most.

Thanks all, it's starting to make sense now! :idea:

I took the water away with a box gutter and the ends where kglass with lead ends dealt with by the glazier :oops:
The ridge is just a cheap bit of white wicks square guttering rather than a few hundred quids worth of ... well .. wicks white square guttering .
Dont get me wrong here , their system is great and far better than what you can buy from wicks IMHO but i couldn't see what the ridge capping had over just a bit of guttering other than having the option to take finials and the like .

The flashing is approx 12" wide with about 4" vertically on the wall and fixed into a chase in the wall then the remaining 8" laying on the sheets and dressed around the glazing bars, with the pitch of the roof no further sealing is necessary.
The wicks flashing is thin aluminium and is easily split but the lead flashing would need a professional to fit and can be expensive

Nigel

Hi all, I got a quote through from TwinFix. Does this look reasonable?

twinwall.jpg

Or is it a lot to pay for what is essentially a shed roof? What with this and the roller garage door it is working out to be an expensive project. However it is not blowing the budget yet so i'm prepared to accept the roof costs for something that will last faultlessly for five years or more.

EDIT: above quote does not include these 'optional extras'

Optional items:
o Dibond composite aluminium flashing; 3mm thick x 300mm wide x 3mts long, stove enamelled white, scored underneath for folding on site to required angle @ £49.50 each nett.

o Butyl pre-flashing tape 200mm wide x 10mts long @ £35.35 each nett.

I have the technical drawings of their systems if anyone is interested. [/quote]

Or is it a lot to pay for what is essentially a shed roof?

I used to work in the plastics extrusion business a few years ago. In my experience the markups on extruded PVCu and Alu profiles in general are staggering. From extruder to consumer 400 -500% margins are possible. To be fair, plastics extrusion tooling, particularly for such huge cross sections as multiwall sheet is very expensive indeed (A large tool could be over half a million)- far, far more than aluminium extrusion tooling. It is still though, a very profitable industry.

It's simply an expensive type of roofing to go for.

Ike

thanks ike, one to mull over is this. Need to work out how important light will be in the workshop against he damage to my wallet. hmmmmm

Hi Wizer,

I would say that the quote they gave you is pretty good. When I did my conservatory roof ( similar size) I bought the materials and did it myself, the materials came to about £350.
I also found ( over time and several leaks) that due to expansion and contraction the 1" thick sheets needed 3" screws in order to stay tight!
I also made the mistake of fitting all the sheets into the bars and then went around srewing them down, trouble was I stopped for a cuppa and the wind got up! I had to rescue an 8x4 sheet from a garden three houses away. :oops:

Julian

Ps If its going on yr workshop, it will get b****y hot in there!

yes the heat is an issue, but is light more important? There will only be one source of light from the back doors if I go with a covered roof. I guess I can install a couple of roof lights\domes or maybe even a velux. hmmm I think im swaying back towards a covered roof.

WiZeR, Sorry I am late coming to this thread but DIY Plastics have some assembly details of the various options in the catalogue. Used them in the past with satisfaction.

Back