Dodge's latest Challenge - Don't get Bored - Get a Board!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melinda_dd":26qbqd2x said:
My partner says I should make a shelf... 5'x1"x8"
:roll: :roll: :roll:

They just don't understand! !!!

But you wouldn't have enough wood for the brackets!! :mrgreen:

What are the thoughts on a small part of an overall project that needs a machine to produce that we do not have- for example a turned component for somebody with no lathe- is it permitted to ask somebody to turn it on our behalf, obviously using the timber from the single board?

marcros":2q1942nf said:
What are the thoughts on a small part of an overall project that needs a machine to produce that we do not have- for example a turned component for somebody with no lathe- is it permitted to ask somebody to turn it on our behalf, obviously using the timber from the single board?

NO - purely YOUR OWN work and within the parameters of your abilities.

cmon peeps, the rules state clearly what is needed. a board 5ft x 8inch x 1 inch and make what ever YOU want. Any extra i.e. inlays, hinges will not be considered, but can be included in the final piece. But purly in thought process and craftmanship. There will things that I have never done before, but I will attempt them (on scrap at first).

It's all in the rules...read them.

riclepp":eachljb8 said:
wow, that's a lot. I got my board from witnesham saw mill yesterday and it only cost me £10!!!!! billy bargin :)
Have they got any more? :mrgreen:

carlb40":mbvfwrfl said:
riclepp":mbvfwrfl said:
wow, that's a lot. I got my board from witnesham saw mill yesterday and it only cost me £10!!!!! billy bargin :)

Too right I want some! I was expecting 20 for oak but 50 Plus!
Im gutted...... its one of the only places locally. Ive got 1 more place to try. :?

cant you buy a board from work, melinda? If i remember rightly you work at a cabinet makers dont you?

failing that, i have just bought some bubinga from http://www.goodtimber.com/cgi-bin/newbu ... st_RS.html. (not for this project) on their old website, they had prices, but I cant see it here. They charged be £22 for postage, but that was for 2 large boards- 1@2"x10" and 1"10", both 8' long.Wht I am trying to say is that the postage may not be as much as you fear, and anything around £40 a cube, will be close to the tenner a board (assuming no wastage)

this is last years price list, so you can get an idea. http://web.archive.org/web/201305121653 ... prices.pdf you never know, they may have an offcut, or a board that one end isnt to spec and you would still get your 5' from.

Melinda_dd":1irrv8cr said:
carlb40":1irrv8cr said:
riclepp":1irrv8cr said:

Too right I want some! I was expecting 20 for oak but 50 Plus!
Im gutted...... its one of the only places locally. Ive got 1 more place to try. :?

Yep they have loads.

Walnut, cherry Mahogany (limited), Brown Oak, lime, ash, beech.... well you name it. They also have some lovely walnut with they don't sell as they are also furniture makers.

They are sadly only open Mon to Fri. If you meed some pm me and i'll give you their details and you can make arrangements.

:)

[/quote=Yep they have loads.

Walnut, cherry Mahogany (limited), Brown Oak, lime, ash, beech.... well you name it. They also have some lovely walnut with they don't sell as they are also furniture makers.

They are sadly only open Mon to Fri. If you meed some pm me and i'll give you their details and you can make arrangements.

:)[/quote]

I'ld like those details too please.... see if they'll deliver to my area too.
If not I may be going through Ipswich soon

i dont have the time for this :(

it looks fun
if someone is struggling for a board in the kent area pm me

Steve

riclepp":2a9q2qh8 said:
Have put my WIP for this comp on the Projects section. Hope it is in the right place :)

same here. let's hope it is correct!

Latest posts

Back