Dodge's latest Challenge - Don't get Bored - Get a Board!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok - I know some of you have been patient, and some not so patient but here we go!!!! (hammer) (hammer)

Please read below carefully as taking part means that you must follow the criteria specified - and I mean it!!!! If it isn't specified below the answer will probably be no!! Other than that common sense must be adopted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Right - the Challenge - You will need a single board of timber, 5' long, 8" wide and 1" thick (Sawn) or 3/4" thick if pre-thicknessed. The wood can be hardwood, softwood, plywood, MDF - The decision is yours but you MUST start with a single piece of timber of that size. I re-itterate it must start as a single piece of timber. Therefore combinations of different timbers are not acceptable

Once you have sourced your timber you need to make something from it - this is where the fun will begin as you can make whatever you want to and a large proportion of the scoring will be based on the design and inginuity adopted. It could be a box, it could be a birdhouse, it could be ......... well anything! It can be cut down into whatever component sizes suite your design

Once you have decided upon your project then you must provide a full photographic record in the WIPs staring with a picture of the board you start with, the marking out of components and the ongoing construction in the WIP section to open up the discussions. A drawing should also be shown on you WIP showing your plan - this can be a full working drawing or a series of sketches but must show your thought process.

The WIP must be done as progress develops and NOT left til the night before the closing date - The point of the exercise is to encourage discussion as well and again how the discussion is handled will again be taken into account when judging takes place.

You can use any fittings you choose, and whilst their inclusion is not necessary any judging will be based on the manner in which they have been applied/fitted - Someone fitting a 50p hinge well will be judged far better than a £20 hinge fitted badly etc. The cost of fittings used will NOT be taken into account at judging, the choice of fitting and the way they are utilised will be! Therefore don't think that expense is the way to go!

Inlays can be used as deemed appropriate by the entrant

The finished piece may be finished in any manner chosen by the entrant but PAINTING is NOT acceptable

As you have probably gathered by now the whole point of the exercise is to get you thinking, designing and making something truly original as well as sharing your inspiration and design.

The challenge will run from today until the 30th April giving you three full months - judging will be undertaken shortly after that date by submission of photographs and the WIP.

There will only be ONE class (not one for professionals and one for amateurs) so lets not have any whinging about it being unfair - most professionals havn't got the time that the amateurs have!!!!

Right if you want to take part - you must register by starting a WIP showing the board you will use and sketches/drawing by Valentines day (Thats the 14th February for the unromantic types out there!! :roll: )

So all thats left to say is :-

Dont get bored - Get a board!!!!!!!! #-o #-o

Whoop whoop its here!!

So first question. ... can other bits be added
Ie: edging if veneered mdf is to be used
Or solid feet if a box,
Or bits for decoration........like my last challenge box were solid bits were added?
Or solid lipping? ?????

Just thinking out loud! !

Melinda_dd":33kyi0ur said:
Whoop whoop its here!!

Or solid feet if a box,
Or bits for decoration........like my last challenge box were solid bits were added?
Or solid lipping? ?????

NO! - The finished piece must be made solely from the board of the size specified - how you cut it up and utilise it is up to you

The only exception is the addition of inlay stringing as specified above

Is it worth posting this also in the scroll sawers and turners forums? Might have some interest there too.

Hmmm well i have my plan, just need to see if i have or can get some suitable timber in time. :shock:

Dodge":35ljbfd9 said:
Melinda_dd":35ljbfd9 said:
Whoop whoop its here!!

Or solid feet if a box,
Or solid lipping? ?????

NO! - The finished piece must be made solely from the board of the size specified - how you cut it up and utilise it is up to you

The only exception is the addition of inlay stringing as specified above

Just stringing?....... not banding (i believe this is the wider kind?)or inlayed pictures or shapes
....... I googled inlays for clarity. .. but didn't get clarity just more questions...... sorry!
:roll:

Oh Melinda!!! :roll: :lol:

Inlay, stringing, banding - YES!

Now get on with it!!!!! (hammer) (hammer)

carlb40":33m0mmhh said:
Hmmm well i have my plan, just need to see if i have or can get some suitable timber in time. :shock:

Well you have got three weeks until Valentines! No excuses

Dodge":1zoeuv72 said:
Oh Melinda!!! :roll: :lol:

Inlay, stringing, banding - YES!

Now get on with it!!!!! (hammer) (hammer)

can the inlay be 1/2" thick and approx 4' x 8"?

Can you use a board of lesser dimensions? I have a couple of 7" wide teak boards.

Pete

Damn, I know I put that thinking cap somewhere.

I have a nicely figured board in the shed that must be about that size....... but what to make with it. Hmmmmm

Grahamshed":23u4lorn said:
Damn, I know I put that thinking cap somewhere.

I have a nicely figured board in the shed that must be about that size....... but what to make with it. Hmmmmm

A thinking cap stand/rack. Then you would avoid the issue next time...

I've a feeling that although this challenge starts with a short plank it may get very.................................... very long!!

Right I now have me little bit O Wood. So I got a 5 foot long x 8inch wide x 1 inch thick piece of cherry. So I am now half way registered.

So what am I going to build with it. I am making an English Writing slope (Old fashioned and think of Jane Austen era type of thingy). In a few days I will have some poor sctches up. Yes I will be doing the whole hog that goes on one of these things and yes I know, it will not be marked on that. But I will be killing two birds with one stone as I will gift it to the wife :)

Now the hardest part, the drawings..........

Oh come on folks - common sense!!

The spirit of the challenge is that you all start with the same amount of timber otherwise you will all start the "his bit was bigger than mine" comments

So you have read the rules - you start with a board 5' long, 8" wide and 1" thick - Simples :lol: :lol:

What you make with it is up to you!

Well done Mr Leppard!!!!!!! See its quite easy really, well it must be is Riclepp understands (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Latest posts

Back