Do you have a Triton TRA001 that 'sticks'?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
My router-table mounted Triton has been gradually niggling away at me. The fine height adjustment had got very 'sticky' in that as you wound the router down, you had to physically push it down. It also seemed to go down in 'digital' chunks rather than smoothly analogue. To compound issues I also found that often as you wound the fine height adjuster upwards that there came a point when the router would refuse to go any higher as it seemed to be wedged tight. The only way to release it was to fight the coarse control.

Custom and practice says that it is because the plastic worm gear on the fine height adjuster has worn/is knackered. So I set off to investigate.

After looking at Ray Girlings excellent website http://www.raygirling/dismtra1.htm I dismantled the router only to find that the plastic worm gear was fine (having just ordered a replacement I was none too chuffed). On closer inspection it turns out to be Duff Design by Triton. The whole plastic height adjustment mechanism with the white cog that meshes with the rack on the plunge pillars is only held down in one place by the top orange cover. So this whole assembly can rock up and down about this pivot point. The orange part that goes through the metal lower casing just slops around in the 'ole. It truly is a masterpiece of Duff Design.

So as the cog tilts up...which is what happens as you raise the router...it jams against the rim of the bronze bearing and wedges tight like a good 'un.

triton.jpg

So I think the cure has to be judicious use of the Dremel on that bearing rim. May also wrap some duck tape round the plastic part where it goes through the metal casing but am a tad concerned about the glue migrating. Maybe I might use a couple of reels of plumbing tape....but then there is the chance it will come unstuck.

What I need is someone with a metal lathe !

Attachments

• triton.jpg
    triton.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 893
hmm I have four tritons 3 tra001s and the MOF , I have no problems with the cog jamming as you say yours does. The only time I get any bother is with the table mounted one filling with dust, then I take it out fit one of the others and carry on routing. Then when I have some spare time do a strip down and clean, spray silicon on riser posts and gears (no grease or oil) and re-assemble.

Watching with interest, I have a newish one and while it doesn't stick, it's not the smoothest action ever...

Back