Do you have a cyclone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a single extractor that I use for both planer and bench saw. Plastic sacks on the extractor reduce the air flow and as a result I have to use the fabric collection sack. This is ok, but when I turn the extractor on I see a puff of fine dust come out of the bag and I can only assume this is the dust from the saw.

I assume a cyclone could be used to collect this fine dust so that it is not captured by the main extractor?

It will probably capture MOST of the large dust, ie, if you can see it it is 'large' but remember that a lot of the really small, invisible, dust will still get through to the main filters so dont skimp on them :)

A cyclone wont remove all the fine dust & some will still get through to the extractor, the amount being dependent on use.

It`s the fine dust that does the damage to your lungs, so whether or not you add a cyclone to your system you should really be filtering the exhausted air from your extractor if it is being re-circulated in your shop.

I find my cyclone excellent & wouldn`t be without it, though I only use it on dust producing machines. Machines such as the planer & thicknesser that produce shavings rather than dust go straight into a HVLP extractor, though even this has its exhausted air filtered.

Cheers.

The cyclone will allow fine dust to get past it. If you don't care about keeping your heated air in the winter time, and your neighbors aren't too close, you could pipe it outside. If the cyclone is doing it's job, there won't be much left over.

Doug B: Thicknessers produce a tremendous amount of fine dust. It just doesn't look like it, because they produce even more larger chips. Sure, they're not belt sanders, but they'll still clog your lungs.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":3w4p0de9 said:
Doug B: Thicknessers produce a tremendous amount of fine dust. It just doesn't look like it, because they produce even more larger chips. Sure, they're not belt sanders, but they'll still clog your lungs.

Yep, that`ll be why I filter the exhausted air.

Latest posts

Back