Do you carry a saw in the car?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
Since getting started in turning (almost a week now!) I can't help noticing the amount of wood lying at the side of roads where large branches have been cut and just left lying or entire trees have been felled.

I am aware of the need to watch out for splits in the wood etc, particularly if it has been lying for a long time. However, I was on a particularly long journey today and came across 3 places where there were a pile sawn logs lying at the side of the road, many of which looked like they had been cut recently and to my untrained eye would appear to have made very good bowl blanks. In other places there were very large branches but these would have needed cut to even get in the car!

What is the position regarding such logs lying at the side of the road? Can you use them for turning? Is it highly illegal to stop and make use of them? (No I didn't stop to collect any....)

Regards,
Paul.

I don't know if this applies all over the country but here on Exmoor, any sawn wood is private property. If it is off the road it is on private land and to stop and pick it up would at best be frowned upon. If however you know who it belongs to they are often quite happy for you to go along and cut some off as long as you ask. Generally speaking it goes for firwood unless it is big enough to plank and with storm damge that isn't often the case. Look out for roadside signs offering loads of firewood. These are often farmers clearing fallen trees and trying to make a bit from the wood. They will often let you go and buy wood very cheaply or even, smaller pieces, have it for nothing.

Pete

All wood belongs to someone - taking it without permission is theft. Gaining permission is very often easy to do - best when spotting someone actually working on it - hedge laying or tree surgery.
You shouldn't just pick up timber that has been stacked at the side of the road.

Latest posts

Back