Do you bolt your machinery to the floor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of mid-size machines with floor bolt-holes, but I have them free standing. The bandsaw is best kept mobile but I wonder would the lathe and the planer thicknesser benefit from being securely fixed?

Sedgwick PT 16”.
Union graduate lathe.
Start rite 352 bs

Another related question is that my concrete barn floor has a steep gradient. I have to make local concrete plinths for each machine. I just finished the PT plinth with 100mm spare all around wider than the base. It seemed plenty when measuring but now I’m afraid my SDS hammer drill will break apart the edges. The plinth is around 800x1000mm, and 50mm - 80mm deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 14" bandsaw is on casters. Everything else (engineer's lathe, pillar drill, milling machine..... sorry I don't have any woodworking machinery) is bolted down to a bench which is built off the shed wall. I'm not sure if it's the best approach though; I'm about to reorganise everything onto their own free-standing benches. I'm interested to see what other members do......

No.
We need to get a fork lkift in and out sometimes, or even move machines for super long boards. I just mark positions clearly so when they return they are straight and level again.

There are only two reasons I ever fix machinery to the floor:

1) If it's lightweight and could be knocked (e.g. support legs for the outrigger table on my table saw).
2) If it "walks" due to vibration.

Some of my machinery live on castored bases!

Helvetica":18zu4rnz said:
I have a couple of mid-size machines with floor bolt-holes, but I have them free standing. The bandsaw is best kept mobile but I wonder would the lathe and the planer thicknesser benefit from being securely fixed?

Sedgwick PT 16”.
Union graduate lathe.
Start rite 352 bs

Another related question is that my concrete barn floor has a steep gradient. I have to make local concrete plinths for each machine. I just finished the PT plinth with 100mm spare all around wider than the base. It seemed plenty when measuring but now I’m afraid my SDS hammer drill will break apart the edges. The plinth is around 800x1000mm, and 50mm - 80mm deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When drilling the fixing holes don't use the hammer action, only use the rotation.
For fixing bolts use the chemical glue type, that put no pressure on the sides of the hole.

Bod

image.jpg
image.jpg
All of my machinery is fitted with wheels, the workshop just isn't big enough to operate any other way. The only machine that I thought might be a bit iffy was the mortiser but it's not a problem. I made steel frames with wheels that are rotated into contact with the floor when needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 195
None of my machinery is bolted down to the floor except the large bandsaw. Even the Jet p/t is free standing and it's never caused any sort of problem, in fact it's an advantage as it's easier to move to take off the access panels at the rear - Rob

Nothing bolted down. It is useful to be able to shift machines to make space for larger jobs. I need a bigger workshop. My wife disagrees. :shock:

The only thing I have bolted down is my RAS as that helps to keep all the settings and alignment in place.

My planer thicknesser and table saw are heavy lumps of mainly cast iron and do not move so much as a fraction of an inch without considerable and deliberate effort to that end. My bandsaw is on a mobile base and dust extractor on castors. I do have a bench top morticer which I clamp or bolt down to my bench when I use it but it spends its time in a corner when not in use. Interesting to see how others address this question.

Table saw, PT, mitre saw, band saw, dust extractor, all on wheels. Floor standing drill press has fairly wide base and not bolted down so can be walked around but rarely necessary.

Depending what you turn might be worth considering fixing down the lathe. Not sure whether it's still available but there is a type of double sided tape for fixing machinery down, probably still got one of their leaflets somewhere. Other machines arn't going anywhere during use.

Smaller machines (bandsaw) are on castor wheels. Bigger machines (table saw) are bolted down to heavy/large pallets, which I can then move around easily.

Nothing is bolted to the floor, as things need to move around sometimes.

Back