Do I really need a 20amp supply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ondablade":4uk9srmd said:
In my innocence i ran my 2.2kW Robland combo saw off a 13A socket. It should draw around 10A when running. i.e. well below the rating of the socket.

Despite this it was the plugs/sockets (it happened in more than one plug socket combination) that caused me some bother.

At one level all was OK - it blew the stock 13A fuse once or twice under sustained load, no doubt because i forced it too heavily. (typically in rip cuts i think it was) On the other hand it didn't pop the 16A fuse fitted in the control panel. Perfectly as it should be you might say.

More ominously though it occasionally stopped during start up - it'd pop the reset on the contactor (?) in the saw's own panel. During the initial phase of start up before releasing the button in run mode i think it was.

Eventually i figured out that this seemed to be the result of some sort of minor arcing inside the socket - there were burn marks on one of the plug pins. A new socket and plug solved the problem for short while i ran the machine before selling it after this.

It may to some degree have a been a vagary of the specific sockets i had, but it brings two points to mind:

1. Despite 10A being the nominal full load current, the short duration start up surge seemed well able to cause problems on a 13A socket - without blowing fuses.

2. It suggests that 2.2kW on a saw motor is getting a bit above the upper limit for a 13A socket - regardless of whatever wiring is used.

I'm wiring the shop now for my Hammer machines. The conclusion i've drawn from the experience is that it seems to be as important to build some slack into the sizing of the plus and sockets as it is in the rest of the circuitry - that electrical componentry maybe does not have a great deal of spare capacity...

It's one of the big advantages of the 16A and 32A socketry: no fuses in the plugs. Furthermore the round pins make a much better mechanical connection than the rectangular pins of the 13A series (which are actually pretty poor in comparison). It all works to stop the plugs heating up, which in turn stops the grub screws working loose through repeated hot/cold cycling, which reduces arcing, which makes them safer.

Since fuses typically go at twice their rated current (continuous), they can get pretty warm beforehand. I used to own a 3kW fan heater - the plug used to get too hot to touch. You will sometimes see sockets in older houses with scorching round the live socket, often in kitchens and bedrooms. It's heat conducted through the live pin, which is closest to the fuse, when that socket was either used for a kettle or a fan heater.

IIRC, the history of 'ring mains' goes back to a shortage of copper after WWII. Previously, with the 2A, 5A, 15A series, sockets were individual spurs wired back to the fuse box ("consumer unit") and separately fused. This is expensive in both copper and installation time, so the ring main was introduced as a cheaper alternative.

There are experts on here (and I'm not one(, but IIRC, breakers trip earlier than Fuses (the type C has a time delay specifically for motor surges etc.), so that a 20A breaker goes at that current, whereas a 20A fuse goes at 40A continuous. Fuses will thus tolerate surges more readily, but they warm up significantly (proportional to current squared), and if used near their rating for any significant length of time they also weaken (somewhat like lightbulb filaments), and blow at a lower-than rated current.

I think that's correct. Someone will be along in a min, if I'm wrong. :oops:

ondablade":e9nljzko said:
I've had some experience with stock 3pin 13A plugs which suggests that maybe it's not just about the cable and breakers - that plugs too don't seem to have a lot of spare capacity over their nominal rating...

Could be voltage drop problems - how are your sockets fed? 2.2kw shouldn't give a 13A socket a problem.

(It wasn't a double with another machine - extractor eg - running off it?- the 13A rating is for the faceplate, not each plug that can go in it)

Over here in Ireland we seem to get more like 220V on single phase mains Jake, with the possibility of pretty drastic drops below that if you are at the end of a line fed by a transformer, and there's been extra houses put on the line.

Our (effective monopoly) service provider contracts to supply between 207 and 254V - to EN50160 they say. But i've often heard of it going lower. It sounds like wiring should probably be sized to handle the currents generated at the lower end of the supply voltage range(?)

My voltage in recent years is i think pretty good (but i've not checked), there was a new transformer installed quite recently. But maybe 220V is quite low compared to the 230/240V (?) you guys reportedly seem to get.

I didn't realise that fuses could let the current get so high above their nominal rating without blowing, it means i guess that my 13A socket could indeed have been fairly heavily loaded.

Interesting that it arced though, that surely would be a voltage rather than a current determined phenomenon.

Interesting too on the ring main bit Eric, i've been reading up wiring recently so i could wire my shop and rather wondered at how it came about. :wink: I guessed that maybe it was something to do with the English tendency to be 'economical'.

The Hammer machines i'm wiring for next week are all 3kW single phase - which comes out at about 14.5A at 207V.

Which rather begs the question of whether or not 16A sockets would be OK. I've for safety more or less decided to go for 32A sockets and wiring - also to cover against the possibility of in future running larger stuff. e.g. it's looking like i'll be running a 4kW bandsaw on a rotary inverter which definitely will go well above 16A.

Interesting territory...

ondablade":1ovdwocp said:
Over here in Ireland we seem to get more like 220V on single phase mains Jake, with the possibility of pretty drastic drops below that if you are at the end of a line fed by a transformer, and there's been extra houses put on the line.

Universal problem! I once worked for a short while in the HImalayas. Between us and the xfmr was a blacksmith who made steel window grilles. Every time he struck an arc... we ended-up having to start video editing sessions at 2AM.

Our (effective monopoly) service provider contracts to supply between 207 and 254V - to EN50160 they say. But i've often heard of it going lower. It sounds like wiring should probably be sized to handle the currents generated at the lower end of the supply voltage range(?)

It doesn't work quite like that.

Your machines consume a certain power at a specified voltage, but they are just loads. No magic happens! The energy/sec (power) they consume is proportional to the voltage. If that drops, so does the power of the machine. Thicker wiring won't really help, except insofar as its own resistance will be lower, so you waste a bit less warming the wires up.

The wire thicknesses specified for lighting, ring mains, etc. take the resistance of the load into account: light bulbs have high resistance, so the 'contribution' of the wiring to the overall load is small - you can use thinner (higher resistance) wire as a consequence.

For machines, the load resistance is small, and the currents are large, and the wiring's resistance could otherwise become a significant proportion of the total. That's why you need thick wire.

My voltage in recent years is i think pretty good (but i've not checked), there was a new transformer installed quite recently. But maybe 220V is quite low compared to the 230/240V (?) you guys reportedly seem to get.

Actually ours is as iffy. The rules for supply were changed by those idiots in the EU some years ago, to 'harmonize' electricity supply. They compromised on a nominal 230V. The official range, IIRC is -5% +10% (of 230V). (after Googling to check) Wrong! it's [insert whole basket of fruit!] changed AGAIN:

Voltage tolerance of 230 V +10%/−6% (216.2 V to 253 V), widened to 230 V ±10% (207 V to 253 V) in 2008. The system supply voltage remains centered on 240 V.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_around_the_world

This has two serious negative implications (nb: this is bordering on politics, rather than engineering!): Firstly 207V is low enough to damage some designs of motors (some refrigeration pumps, for example), and secondly, the upper limit was raised. Over-voltage shortens the life of filament bulbs significantly, and can affect other components (for electrical/electronic devices where the internal voltages are proportional to the supply current). In the old days you could force the supply authority/company to alter the voltage tap on the local substation, to correct matters. Now they just laugh at you (from personal experience!).

The third implication is perverse: inattentive Far Eastern manufacturers, for whom we are 'just another Western market', look at the spec., and design to 230V, not 240V. The result is lightbulbs that blow early, as they can be operating at 253V rather than the 230V they were designed for. The lifetime of a filament anything falls off very rapidly with overvoltage.

How long do filament and 'low energy' bulbs last around here? Far less time than they should! I have argued unsuccessfully with the energy supplier. At one point we were 0.5V RMS below the maximum permitted, "but your supply is within spec., sir."! Bring back SWEB and the CEGB!

Worse still, I believe Chinese motor winding companies are keeping cost down by designing to 230V too, hoping they'll get away with it. I have had three, brand-new squirrel cage machinery motors burn out within hours of first use in the last six months. The supplier of two of them had a service department full of the wretched things!

I didn't realise that fuses could let the current get so high above their nominal rating without blowing, it means i guess that my 13A socket could indeed have been fairly heavily loaded.

Fuses are filaments. They won't last forever above their rated capacity, but yes, if slightly overloaded they can get very hot and still not blow quickly. The arcing you mentioned earlier may well have been screws working loose in either the plug or the socket, caused by repeated heating and cooling (from the adjacent fuse).

Interesting too on the ring main bit Eric, i've been reading up wiring recently so i could wire my shop and rather wondered at how it came about. :wink: I guessed that maybe it was something to do with the English tendency to be 'economical'.

Not economical: back then, totally skint! We only paid off the final tranche of war debt about two years ago, IIRC.

The Hammer machines i'm wiring for next week are all 3kW single phase - which comes out at about 14.5A at 207V.

Which at a nominal 14.5A @ 207V rather begs the question of whether or not 16A sockets would be OK. I've for safety more or less decided to go for 32A sockets and wiring - also to cover against the possibility of in future running larger stuff. e.g. it's looking like i'll be running a 4kW bandsaw on a rotary inverter which definitely will go well above 16A.

Whilst it won't hurt to put in heavier wiring, it doesn't work like that (see above). You must protect the circuit to the manufacturer's recommendation (i.e. the load printed on the machine's plate, or what they specify in the manual, if there's a significant startup surge). Upping the breaker/fuse capacity beyond that doesn't buy you anything, but reduces the safety margin.

Sorry about the rant. Hope some of it helps.

E.

Expediency in standards is a bit of a bete noire of my own Eric! Right now I'm in the mood for a rant myself on the topic of political expediency in state regulation of technical topics - see the story below on a plumbing issue that's infuriated me for the past week. My sense is that the market would sort itself out just as well...

It's probably a bit more 'Himalyan' over here, but there's a certain comfort in hearing that we're not alone. :)

On electrical loads/sizing of wiring components. I guess my thinking in making sure my wiring, sockets etc (not breakers) have some spare capacity is influenced by how little it took to trigger the socket problems i described - and also dimly by the way motors when heavily loaded draw more current because the inductance (is it? - long time since i was educated on this) falls as they slow. But i guess maybe that in the start up situation they behave mostly as resistive loads, and just draw whatever the nominal V=iR current is.

On lights dimming Roger. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm allowed 62A (increased to 80A with a meter box fuse change) so the 20A or so the saw will draw should be OK (?) What's less clear is that rotary converters it seems can maybe up the current drawn - i don't know why. (on start up?) Can anybody explain the story on this?

ian

PS Optional plumbing/political expediency in state standards rant:

I've just spent three days and probably €120 between parts and transport trying to get the plumbing fittings for a simple DHW cylinder replacement and relocation - all for the sake of nobody stocking 4no. €4 22mm tube x 1/2in solder ring adaptors.

Think of it. Country with pop of Birmingham decides to go it alone with imperial sized copper tube fittings when the UK and Europe are metric - because there's a tiny factory in Cork making compression fittings that doesn't want to spend the money to change their tooling.

Yet almost every bit of equipment you buy with copper tube fittings is imported and hence metric. (not much chance of the Chinese or anybody else customising for our market!)

Being a tiny market nobody bothers to stock a proper range of adaptors, and anyway doesn't know what you mean or what they have in stock - so you have to drive in and trawl their shelves. So quite apart from the extra labour, cost and leakage risk of multiple fittings it turns into a dog and pony show. One from here, two from there....

Dog and pony 2 plays out in a few years when they are belatedly forced to go metric as they inevitably will be, to leave gazillions of legacy imperial piping systems which nobody will want to stock imperial for.

Then you look and discover that the standards organisation is notorious at senior management level for being full of political hacks from the party that has just destroyed our economy. You have to ask why a country this size in the EU has to have a standards organisation at all (it was originally modelled on BSI) - but even buying that why bother if (as you too imply) these decisions are made on grounds of political expediency rather than what's technically and economically for the greatest benefit!!

These same hacks/clowns having pretty much doubled the labour and other costs of jobs like mine then have no problem going on radio to bleat about the need for national competitiveness and belt tightening. :evil:

My rant... window double-glazing standards....especially in old houses. Gradually turn the screw so that the heat loss from the window is reduced...but that then requires thicker wooden frames to carry the massively over-spec'd DGU's which means heat loss goes back up...so increase the size of the DGU...let's throw in argon filling for good measure....So windows have more wood than glass (especially on smaller windows) which looks rubbish.

And the actual heat saving? Wanna guess? 1kw a day ? Nope. 250W a day? Nope. OK...100W? Nope. 3.6watts. I lose more heat when I fart.

oh yeah..throw in a whole load of quango's, inspectors, auditing bodies, ISO9001...

And the houses lose 100x more heat through the walls than the bloody windows in the first place.

ondablade":3mklvy1v said:
I've just spent three days and probably €120 between parts and transport trying to get the plumbing fittings for a simple DHW cylinder replacement and relocation - all for the sake of nobody stocking 4no. €4 22mm tube x 1/2in solder ring adaptors.

Sorry--its probably too late now--but you can still get 22mm->3/4" adaptors here, I think only in end-feed copper (I never use solder ring, as they're too awkward and unreliable). Good plumbers merchants sell them (3/4->22mm) and might post to you. If you can then get imperial adaptors 3/4" to 1/2" you'd be home and dry, (literally!). Alternatively go 22mm end-feed to 3/4" BSP in brass, then screw on an adapter down to 1/2".

The received wisdom on 1/2" is that you can get away with 1/2" in a 15mm fitting, or thinning down 15mm to 1/2" with emery paper (dodgy with modern thin-walled tube, but hey). Adaptors used to be made but weren't that popular even during the changeover period in the 1970s. I think I may have a whole one (15mm->1/2") somewhere. They used to be indicated with a dab of green paint as they were easily confused with 15mm straight couplers. 15mm compression fittings do work with 1/2" pipe, just about, although I'd be happier with proper 1/2" olives (unobtanium here nowadays). British Standard pipe thread is your friend here, as once you can get as far as BSP thread, you can interconnect metric and imperial fittings fairly easily

None of these solutions is very tidy, but would be strong and reliable.

Incidentally, the whole world (pretty much) still uses BSP threaded fittings, even in continental Europe, althougn boiler manufacturers often use 'special' fittings with metric threads (I think that's to stiff customers on spares pricing!).

Thos. Crapper still has much to answer for...

Thanks Eric, but I didn't have time to get fittings mail order from the UK - i had the laundry down and the gun to my head. (my double incontinent Mother lives with us, and there was rather a stack of thunder pants and other unmentionables building up ;-) )

I got caught that way because the people i bought the (UK made stainless) DHW cylinder from supplied it with 3/4in nuts and olives.

Then i found that the cylinder connections were actually 22mm compression, and so the search for 22mm fittings and adapters saga started with the clock ticking - the system already drained and the old cylinder removed.

BSP saved my ass as you say, i was able to get from a short 22mm copper pipe stub (cut from a short piece of left over pipe a plumber friend had from back when some places did stock some, i couldn't buy any) to a 22mm x 3/4 BSP adapter, with a 3/4in BSP male x 3/4 copper adapter screwed into it. (whew!) It's bad practice though - so many joints really ups the risk of leakage and the cost.

Having bust a gut to get the 22mm compression fittings, insult was added to injury when it turned out that some of the nominally 1/2in and 3/4in fittings i'd bought were in practice 15mm and 22mm castings with imperial nuts and olives - so it seems the fittings makers are playing games too.

I'd been told of the possibility of using imperial nuts and olives in metric fittings (and other stuff), but was reluctant to do so. But ended up that way anyway on the 1/2in. It seems unwise to me not to properly support the pipe with a good fit in the casting, as any slop risks the olive getting worked as the piping moves with temperature changes.

I'd not used solder fittings before, and we don't get the non filled type over here. That said i took no chances and topped them up with some extra solder. Cleaning (like in all forms of soldering) is so critical to getting a good joint, the gas torch needs a light touch and good timing to avoid overheating the solder too.

Anyway. Talk about the difference between the theory and practice of plumbing. I dug up a training manual put together by our excuse for a national apprentice training outfit (another haunt of political hacks), and nearly wet myself laughing at some of the happy happy stuff they had to say.

I'm lucky enough that having spent years on machine R&D for Europe and in the US i'm moderately familiar with most of the various pipe and other thread and compression/flare based piping systems. Push comes to shove and i have the reference material to look most of it up. Heaven help the average DIY innocent who sets out to handle a plumbing job though.

The good news is that it all refilled and started up last night with no leaks or other problems.

What's more i lucked into some radiators (new) for my workshop heating on the cheap today too....

Thanks for the moral and other support...

I am with you a 100% on the farce of Irish standards ... they are usually low Why they insist on re inventing square wheels when the world already has round ones . The plumbing one near drove me demented here 15 years ago when i was first installing in my first house . I had to bore out Instantor fittings on a lathe and lately i just swage the pipe with a homemade drift . . As for you voltage variations I wouldnt worry too much , they are not so bad these days and i live in Kerry ..... I deal with current and voltage all day on industrial stuff

Hi Hans. I guess a set of swaging tools would take the heat out of the situation all right. The voltage has indeed improved, even we we do pay one of the highest rates in Europe for our electricity - as a direct result of the monopoly enjoyed by yet another unreformed state monopoly. (they would of course claim otherwise)

You'll know all about this as the possibility is being discussed, but heaven help us if the state goes through with selling it off like they did Telecom/Eircom in the case of the phones.

Having sold that one on they cost many a fortune by encouraging people to buy shares - the consumer was meanwhile left to the tender mercies of the one after the other bleeding returns on the ever more crazy prices they paid for the monopoly - by minimising investment and maximising charges to the consumer.

So much for 'national interest' - in the end it came down to maximising the return for the bureaucracy and to hell with competitiveness.

Are you possibly one of the many Germans living in the South West?

Hi Ian I really am going to have to stop wearing my recreational Liederhosen thats twice this year someone has thought i was German ......
I'm English . what county are you in ?

I'm interested in the whole single phase machine supply threads /posts as i have found myself sadly lacking in knowledge in this department . I have always wired three phase stuff with no supply restrictions (this weeks jobs is a 120kw motor supply) .So this whole business hasnt really been an issue for me . Now i find myself purchasing machinery for home use and not have what i need So i am learning new stuff even though i am a spark . I'm leaning towards buying a 240v single to 240v three phase inverter drive to power my workshop . Its a hobby shop so i only ever need one machine running at once . I figure a selector switch a few contactors,3 sockets and variable pots will sort out 3 phase for my three machines . i ve used plenty of 3phase drives for speed control but never for this purpose. I'd love to know if anyones tried this approach

Latest posts

Back