Do I need a different drill chuck to use hex shank bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a forstner drill bit and it arrived with hex shank, I was expecting round.

Do I have to have a different to standard chuck to use a hex bit properly? I am using a drill press not hand held drill.

Thanks

All the better, it will have a positive drive from the three chuck jaws with no slipping risk.

Tetsuaiga":1d6ywu8b said:
I have just bought a forstner drill bit and it arrived with hex shank, I was expecting round.

Do I have to have a different to standard chuck to use a hex bit properly? I am using a drill press not hand held drill.
Thanks

Both 2 jaw and 3 jaw chuck hold hexes just fine. 4 jaw chucks don't but are very rare - some hand braces have them.

So you're most likely fine..

BugBear

Thanks mine is 3 jaw. After having an examine of the bit in the jaws it looks as though it shouldn't be as much of an issue as i imagined. I just didnt want to damage the shank and not be able to return it.

Looking around I can't really see any drill chucks designed just for hex shanks, not pillar drill ones anyway and adaptors all are going from hex to round.

Back