dmt duo sharp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
i want to order one as ive heard nothing but good things about them, im getting good results from sandpaper but using loads so my question is

fine/course
fine/extra fine

it will be my only means of sharpening so want to get it right

thanks jamie

Hello Jamie,

I have the fine/extra fine duo sharp (Red/ Green) and find that this suits my sharpening set up.

The diamond stones remove material fast so I would imagine that the course diamond would be very aggressive.

I think most members have the fine/extra fine. I'm sure you will receive further guidance from other members shortly.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers, Tony

Fine/Extra Fine is the one to go for. I've got them as separate stones and the green extra fine is the one I use most of all. The coarse stone removes steel at an alarming rate...stay clear unless you need to remake the primary bevel - Rob

woodbloke":33576kqw said:
Fine/Extra Fine is the one to go for. I've got them as separate stones and the green extra fine is the one I use most of all. The coarse stone removes steel at an alarming rate...stay clear unless you need to remake the primary bevel

Agreed - go for the fine (red)/extra fine (green). I use the coarse (blue) as well, but as Rob says, this is only for forming the primary bevel because I don't use a grind stone.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have the red/blue combination which I bought years ago before I knew better. It is good and I do use the blue side but it does not go fine enough to be your only stone.

Consequently, since I abandoned waterstones I use this in conjunction with the DMT 6000 mesh stone for final polish.

If I only had one I would want the red/green.

Cheers, Ed

Have the blue/red stone myself and would agree that the best one to buy would be the red/green.
The blue side on my stone does not cut well at all - dunno what happened to those diamonds.Although not common this has been a problem reported by various users on the internet.

For those of you that use only diamond stones, especially the DMT, I am curious to know how long they last (and, of course, how often you use them).

My impression is that DMT do not last long when used to hone steel. A couple of years at most.

I do have a couple of diamond stones. In fact I have had a 600 (perhaps it is a 1200) that still creates a shine after 10 years, but it actually gets little serious use (is reserved for narrow blades). I also have a DMT Duosharp Xcoarse and Coarse, which was originally purchased top flatten my Shapton (now replaced with the Shapton diamond plate).

I have heard poor reports about the longevity of the DMT 8000. All this is enough to make one avoid diamond stones (on steel). So what makes you buy them instead of water- or oil stones?

Regards from Perth

Derek

For those of you that use only diamond stones, especially the DMT, I am curious to know how long they last (and, of course, how often you use them).

My impression is that DMT do not last long when used to hone steel. A couple of years at most.

I do have a couple of diamond stones. In fact I have had a 600 (perhaps it is a 1200) that still creates a shine after 10 years, but it actually gets little serious use (is reserved for narrow blades). I also have a DMT Duosharp Xcoarse and Coarse, which was originally purchased top flatten my Shapton (now replaced with the Shapton diamond plate).

I have heard poor reports about the longevity of the DMT 8000. All this is enough to make one avoid diamond stones (on steel). So what makes you buy them instead of water- or oil stones?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - I've had my DMT's (Green Xfine is the main one) for severial years now and they are as good now as when I abandoned waterstones about 4 years ago (they were the replacement) I use them regularly in the 'shop and although the initial harsh 'bedding in' cut has long since vanished, they will still remove steel quite smartly - Rob

Hi Derek,

I've had mine for about 10 years

Competition5.jpg

They get lots of use and I use them for forming the primary and secondary bevels because I don't use a grind stone on my blades. I use them with oil (WD40 or 3-in-1) - never water. I finish off my blades on a leather strop with jewellers rouge.

Competition6.jpg

No complaints about my DMT stones whatsoever. They still perform well, are dead flat and work well. I really couldn't be bothered with all the palava of water stones.

Paul

Or you could just go for a full set of 8 x 3 DMT Diasharps:

DSC_0185.JPG

:lol:

Does everyone use 3in1 oil on their DMT's then? I've always used water.

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":3q8o4164 said:

Lots of us use oil of one sort or another (and DMT say it's OK and won't harm their stones). Never have to worry about rust :wink:

Paul

EdSutton":ote6rvkm said:

Cheers, Ed
Paraffin is good as well as central heating oil (if you can find someone to part with any) and I know that Pete (Newt) uses WD40 - Rob

I thought they said nothing but water, but maybe I remember wrong. I will be forthwith converting to using oil - anything that gets water out of the workshop has got to be a good thing.

Cheers, Ed

It says on the packaging that you can use water, but even tho I dried mine, they rusted. So now I use 3-in-1

EdSutton":5goq3jao said:
I thought they said nothing but water, but maybe I remember wrong.

While DMT still say use water, this is from the FAQs on their website

I know it says to use the sharpener dry or with water, but can I use oil anyway? Can I store my DMT stone in kerosene?

While we recommend you use DMT® products dry or with water only, it is acceptable to use a variety of lubricants when sharpening with DMT® products. Mineral oil, mineral spirits, kerosene, WD40 can all be used without harming your DMT® sharpener. We do not recommend storing your DMT sharpener in kerosene. DMT® recommends that you always wipe your Diamond and Unbreakable Ceramic Sharpeners clean and store dry after use.

I've used 3-in-1 or WD40 on mine for 10 years with no ill-effects.

Paul

Back