Disposal of worn out bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmoengine

Established Member
Reaction score
ok guys looking for some wisdom on what to do with worn out band saw blades. ive got a few collecting dust in the corner of the workshop and thaught it might be inapropriate to toss them in the bin to end up in land fill.
ive done a bit of recycling ie cutting up a blade to make a few shop knives , but after that hat else ? any ideas ?
scrap metal merchant perhaps (better than land fill)
i cant be the only person who has old blades to get rid of .

dave w

I've seen a suggestion of cutting blades into short lengths and then sandwiching the lengths together to make a sort of very rough flat rasp, but it seems a bit of a waste of time. Agree it's a shame just to landfill these things, but ferrous scrap is not exactly valuable. I took 140kg to the merchant when we were moving house, and got the princely sum of £8 for it. So unless your merchant lives very near, it's hardly worth the fuel :cry:

More shop knife blades for those of us that don't have bandsaws or old bandsaw blades knocking about perhaps :)

Cheers Mike

How about sticking an abrasive material to the outside of a blade and using it as a massive sanding belt.

Naturally take the thrust bearings away from the outside of the belt.

Perhaps Nicki can do a special on this for us :oops:

I've got a 5 year old bandsaw if anyone wants to make me an offer :wink:

Drop them in the METALS container at the local recycling centre/tip. It won't go to landfill then.

devonwoody":16uxptnb said:
I've got a 5 year old bandsaw if anyone wants to make me an offer :wink:
Does it have a make and model ?
Cheers Mike

I get mine resharpened inc the hard point variety. Some of them may not be much use for accurate work with the set gone and a few bends etc but they are brill for general freehand work and firewood etc. So not scrapped until also broken.

cheers
Jacob

Back