Dining room bench - Cherry timber wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a dining room bench but instead of the customer wanting oak she wants it made from Cherry. Now cherry isn't something I buy much of so I'm looking for a supplier. does anyone on here have any planed cherry they'd want to sell me?

These are the lengths needed...

3x 1350mm x 130mm x 25mm
3x 1090mm x 130mm x 25mm
2x 330mm x 130mm x 25mm
2x 310mm x 130mm x 25mm
4x 450mm x 75mm x 38mm

I have tolerances on the thickness and width of the boards, I can work around if the sizes vary a little.

Anyone help?

where in the world are you?

I dont have any, but know a couple of suppliers who may.

English Cherry or American?

I work in Leeds, live near Selby

I've priced up at British Hardwoods, John Boddys and Niche Timbers but all only have the rough sawn in stock. I was thinking maybe a forum member may have a pile of it they want to clear out before pull the trigger for some rough sawn and spend all day planing it

if you buy sawn allow for 50% or more waste on cherry. This takes into account:
waste for end trimming.
for ripping.
for defects
for sap wood

Some lavers branches have American cherry in. Some branches could plane it up. Not necessarily the same branches though.

Somerscales keep it and it is cheap but a trek away. And is sawn stock.

British hardwoods could plane it up but are on a 3 week lead time I think.

If you find some nice English stuff, I wouldn't mind a couple of boards myself!

You might find it quicker to just get on with planing it rather than spend the time searching! Or find somebody with a big 4 sided planer.

Lee,

sorry no pile of planed cherry going spare in my "workshop" I wish!.

The Garrards in Huddersfield is from the same group as James Chambers in Halifax, I have had mixed dealings with the Halifax branch from good service to let us politely say not very helpful. There does seem to be a paucity of good timber suppliers in West Yorkshire. If you do find a good source I would appreciate it if you would let us know.

Good luck.

Back