Digital cameras - again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iajon69

Established Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of getting a new digital camera for a while and in the process of convincing the love of my life that my ageing Sony needs replacing!

I’ve done a bit of research and one camera seems to keep coming to the top of my want list – the Fujifilm S9600.
I’m sure that I’ve read on here that a few forum members have a S9600 and was just hoping to get some feedback on the camera.
Most of the reviews that I’ve read have been good enough to convince me that the camera is more than up to my requirements but before parting with any cash, any good and bad points would be appreciated :D

I think it’s always better to get opinions of users to back up the reviews!

Has anyone used www.pixmania.co.uk before? They seem to have the S9600 at a good price but having never bought from these before I just want to make sure that they are ok to deal with

Thanks

Ian

I bought my camera from pixmania earlier this year. No problems and speedy service. As you say, great prices too.

Incidentally, I got the Panasonic Lumix. Have you looked at that one? Nice camera, lots of features if you want them but a 'simple shot' mode if you don't. Even takes good pictures as night/low light without flash. Also the first camera I found that is specifically set up for taking shots through windows. Not sure how it compensates, but it does!

Thanks for the link, will have a good look a bit later - in work at the moment and my break ends soon so don't want my boss to think that I'm taking the **** :D

I have looked at the Panasonic Lumix and it looks great - as do most of the digital cameras out there which doesn't make it easy when trying to pick one :D
I liked the look of the S9600 and read a couple of reviews which made me think that the S9600 is the way to go!

Thanks for letting me know about pixmania - great to have reassurance from someone that has used them.

Thanks for the fast replies

Ian

Ian I got the 9600 earlier this year after the breakdown of my earlier fuji5000.

I myself am disappointed with the 9600,
1. Too heavy
2. Lens does not zoom on a button now only manual zoom (most probably too heavy.

3. Automatic focus not giving sharp pics for me.

4. I dont need 9 million pixels.

Otherwise OK

I've pinched my wifes, (dont tell her) A340.

Ian, I too have a Panasonic Lumix, the FZ20. I am very pleased with it and I used this site to compare various makes and models before deciding what to buy.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

Before you buy I think you should consider what you want to use the camera for. SLR type cameras are bulky and not convenient to carry around all day, but good for framing a shot with their zoom lenses (mine has a 12x zoom). Pocket type cameras are pocket size :? but only have short zoom lenses. so are only suitable for portraits and general views.

Thanks all for the replies.

I used to have a 35mm SLR and would love a digital SLR but can't justify spending that amount on a camera at the moment. The S9600 seemed like a good compromise.

I don't mind the size or weight aspect - already been to a camera shop to get a feel of this camera and a couple of others to compare and while it's a lot heavier than my current camera it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I've been getting more frustrated with my current Sony Cybershot because of the Zoom - or lack of, automatic focus which can be a bit hit and miss and a few other little niggles.

I will definitely look at the Panasonic range now though just to compare and see what camera is going to be better suited for me.

Ian

This is a useful site for shortlisting cameras.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

I use a Sony DSC-H2 which has 6mp and a 12x optical zoom. A little bulky but that's the price to pay for the zoom facility I wanted to shoot wildlife and to get in close without stuffing a camera up people's noses. Uses 2 x AA size batteries which is very handy when you run out of charge as you can run on dry cells that can be bought anywhere.

My wife uses a DSC W70. Compact and great performance, and super 2.5" screen. Very user friendly and the L-ion battery provided seems to last forever on a single charge.

The 2 things that swung me to the Panasonic were the incredible zoom range (10x optical - digital doesn't count in my book) and the battery life. On our trip to the US this summer we didn't have to recharge the camera once - and that was a 5 1/2 week trip. The camera also proved handy as it wasn't too heavy in my pocket - something that I hadn't had on my requirements list, but after a day walking around with it in my pocket I was glad it was light.

Back