• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Digital Calipers, steel coming up 25th Feb 2021 Aldi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
£7.99 !
Screenshot_20210222-002935_ALDI UK.jpg
Screenshot_20210222-002621_ALDI UK.jpg

Have to say I've found that any "digital" verniers are a bit hit and miss with the wheel that moves slipping and giving the wrong reading (that includes a very expensive model from Park Tool, the US bike tool company) - I've gone back to the good old sliding steel analogue model that's served for years (but I do have a dial caliper that measures thicknesses very well - it was originally for paper but works well with wood/metal up to about 15mm)

The wheel is supposd to slip, It's there to help provide a constant pressure on the measured object so you can get consistent readings. You don't have to use it and most people develop "the feel" for the right amount of pressure over time.
it's the verniers equivelent of a ratchet on a micrometer.

Gerry

The wheel is supposd to slip, It's there to help provide a constant pressure on the measured object so you can get consistent readings. You don't have to use it and most people develop "the feel" for the right amount of pressure over time.
it's the verniers equivelent of a ratchet on a micrometer.

Gerry

"slipping" may not be the correct description - what I find tends to happen is the the zeroed setting changes (i.e. zero with the jaws closed but the open jaw measurement isn't consistent/accurate)

"slipping" may not be the correct description - what I find tends to happen is the the zeroed setting changes (i.e. zero with the jaws closed but the open jaw measurement isn't consistent/accurate)

That's not the wheel slipping, the wheel is only there to make it easy to move the caliper. Your problem is with the linear encoder inside. Could be dirt or fluids in there. I have 10 year old digital calipers that still work perfectly but I take care to keep them fairly clean. The linear encoder on my lathe got chips in it and now doesn't work very well.

Had many of the cheaper brands and all of them have caused an issue and are happlily in the bin. In simple terms you get what you pay for and will never buy another.

If you want accuracy and longevity, it pays to spend a decent amount if money on devices such as measuring aids. In respect of Vernier gauges buy good quality is a no brainer - speak to anyone in the engineering profession for confirmation.

Latest posts

Back