dewalt radial arm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
hi just got my first radial arm saw its a dewalt 1251 ive got to make a cutting table and fence.the manual says there is 3 parts to it but i don't understand it? can some one please post some pics or explain how to make it?

The best book you can buy is from the Mr Sawdust site. He was one of the early DW Ras salesmen and knew everything there was to know about them. Yahoo also has a radial arm saw group which is useful for some good pictures. It is mainly American versions there but the principle is the same.

Mike

Hi Markus and welcome. I have the same saw and have made a few tables for it in the past. There are three sections to it as you have stated. The largest of them goes to the front of the saw then the fence with a thin section of the table behind this. The fence is gripped between these two pieces. Following this is a wider piece which sits behind the thin section and the two clamps at the rear push the section forward and clamp it all together. If you need to cut wider stock you can move the fence back behind the thin section although I generally set the fence just in front of the blade. I hope this is clear enough, if not let me know and I will try to post a drawing of it. HTH. :wink:

thanks for reply.which part is the fence fastened to? how do you adjust the fence for square?

Hi,

Just noticed your thread marcus, i have just bought a S/H Elu 1251 a couple of weeks ago and about to embark on the process of setting up the saw including set a fence and table.

I too was a little confused as to the means of setting up a fence so Mister Fish could you send me some pics too if that is OK, please, please, please [-o<

I have just noticed one of the clamps you have mentioned for tightening the fence is missing, any ideas on where to look for a spare??

Sorry to butt in on your thread marcus. :oops:

I'll do and post the photos today - I was out at the 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' show in Chichester yesterday afternoon and after recovering from over 2 hours of laughing (and kazoo playing) :D it was too cold last night when we got back.

Misterfish

The table for my 1251 has 4 components. The large front fixed working/cutting area and 3 movable components at the rear that are arranged as required and then held in place with the twist clamps at the back of the saw. In my case the front and back parts are always in the same position but the other two are swapped as required allowing the fence to be in a back or front position.

This shows the setup in normal position with the fence further back allowing a longer cut but is only suitable for relatively thin material.

rast1.jpg

This shows the components separated in the above order

rast2.jpg

which gives

rast4.jpg

Arranged in the alternative order

rast3.jpg

which gives

rast5.jpg

which effectively moves the fence further forward allowing deeper cuts but with less cutting width.

What I have done is based on how I find the most useful set up - you could have three spacers allowing more positions for the fence, but in practise this works for me.

Misterfish

Thanks Misterfish, gives me an idea of how to set about my own saw, looks pretty simple when you see it laid out the way you have done in the pics.

Hi
I have just purchased a DW 125 RAS and it does not have the wooden table fitted to it.
Is there a dimension for the parts of the table. I guess you can make it as wide as you require ? but what about the length of the parts required to make the full table ?
Also (as I do not have a pattern...) what type of wood do you make it from and what thickness ?
I did try to search the forums,honest :)

Any help would be great.

Oh, great forum btw :D

TY b4dyc

My table is made from 40mm MFC worksurface. Basically something that is flat and not going to flex. There is no correct size - just make (adjustable) supports if you want a long table. I intend to replace my old mitre saw bench that is to the left of the RAS so that the two will work together to support longer timber.

Misterfish

Thanks, I will make a few modifications to my workbench so my saw sits flush with it. Then I just need to find somewhere for the bench `sitting` pillar drill...
What I was wondering though is that you seem to have 3 bits of worktop making up the whole top and do they need to be a certain size?
|Big piece size? |Tiny piece size?|Fence|Small piece size?|

Thanks again
b4dyc

The table is 107cm wide (the size of the cheap offcut) and 40mm thick. In my case the fixed front part is 47.5cm deep, the strip that allows me to move the position of the fence is 4.8cm, the fence is a length of 2.0 x 7.5cm and the rear part that the table clams lock against if 25cm.

This allows me to move the fence to the two positions - giving 40cm long cuts in thinner material or 35cm in thicker timber.

Misterfish

Thanks for the information Misterfish.
I have a bit of worktop left over from the kitchen that i could not bear top throw away that will do the job nicely :D
Of course once you have a template to work to, making another will be easy :)

Back