Dewalt Radial Arm Saw? Will it rotate to 90 degrees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wobblydoggy":pc9xuqda said:
Do Dewalt Radial Arm Saws Rotate in their Yoke so the arbor is pointing at the table.
My one certainly does. It's used to help set up the table supports.
Because if it does look at this guys only $229
Hmm, useful for some I suppose.
If you were serious about getting that you ought to asking if the collar is the right size as that's not a DeWalt RAS in the photo.

Rhossydd":3as6xgdd said:
wobblydoggy":3as6xgdd said:
Do Dewalt Radial Arm Saws Rotate in their Yoke so the arbor is pointing at the table.
My one certainly does. It's used to help set up the table supports.
Because if it does look at this guys only $229
Hmm, useful for some I suppose.
If you were serious about getting that you ought to asking if the collar is the right size as that's not a DeWalt RAS in the photo.

Agreed!

But I'll cross that bridge...............

David C":3lr7xfed said:
Ripping on the De Walt RAS was a very dodgy operation, best avoided.
That got me a trip to A&E once.
However with respect to the OP, the attachment shown looks marginally safer to use, than ripping with a RAS (did I really write that ?) but I think I would devise some sort of guarding for it and ensure that workpiece was well clamped into place before starting a cut.

I cant help but think that this is one of those attachments that looks good on paper, but if you had the need for it on anything more than once in a blue moon, you would set up properly with a (portable) chain morticer.

i certainly wouldnt fancy having to lug 9x9 timbers (the stated max) around the workshop. And I cant really think why it would be worth having the attachment just in case- if it was a rarity, a standard morticer would be quicker than setting this up surely?

David C":rjuplfzf said:

David C

Why are so many people scared of the RAS and ripping? They will rip using a circular saw hand held without a moments hesitation and surely a RAS is nothing more than a circular saw on a frame?

Tom K":3kufkb74 said:
David C":3kufkb74 said:

David C

Why are so many people scared of the RAS and ripping? They will rip using a circular saw hand held without a moments hesitation and surely a RAS is nothing more than a circular saw on a frame?
Have you ever done it ?

Ripping on RAS involves either self feed or a cut which tries to lift the work off the table.

However I see I misread the original post, vertical spindle for sanding drum, has uses.

David C

Grahamshed":hqhxwv93 said:
Tom K":hqhxwv93 said:
David C":hqhxwv93 said:

David C

Have you ever done it ?

Yep and from the marks on the bed of my well used tool the previous owner did aswell. Provided common sense is used and push sticks it works well although I should confess I also use dado heads without any problems :norm:

I've never had any issues ripping with a RAS either. Really small bits of timber can be tricky but anything with a bit of weight is fine.

I had it pick up a 2 foot long ( if I remember correctly ) bit of pine, bounce it off the opposite wall and whistle just over the top of my head before I even know what was happening. Still no idea what really happened :)

Latest posts

Back