Dewalt DW625 Router - Used Purchase, Safety Advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a used DW625 router and unfortunately it looks like I got ripped off. Despite asking everything was good condition, present and working it seems to look extremely ropey and isn't all there!

I need to buy the thumscrews and rods for the side fence as well as possibly a new collet!

Anyways, my actual questions are about the safety before I us it. The thumwheel at the top that controls the speed looks very worn, when you roll it from 1 to 5 it's very "wavey" and doesn't roll straight.. What could have caused this and could it be replaced easily?

After removing the collet, I noticed the plate around the collet/router bit only had 1 screw in and 3 missing. what function does this piece have? Will inserting 2 more screws just suffice?

In the photo here:
http://images.toolstop.co.uk/product/DW625EK_3.jpg
There are three small threaded rods screwed into the front of the base.. My router is missing these three threaded inserts/nuts/bolts. What is the purpose of these and where could I purchase some?

Along with installing a new collet and completing the side fence. What other checks should I do on it to check it's safe to use before risking my health!? I'm fairly new to routers but he showed me it working when I collected it but now it seems he's bumped me off. It was still relatively cheap but as it looks old and heavily used I'm not sure how long it'll last!

Just want to check it's safe before using it!

Thanks

dissolve":1qkgqauv said:
The thumbwheel at the top that controls the speed looks very worn, when you roll it from 1 to 5 it's very "wavey" and doesn't roll straight.. What could have caused this and could it be replaced easily?

Been discussed recently. It's mounted on the speed control board. They do seem to be a bit fragile. With luck, it's just the knob itself (two pozi-screws on top get you access to check), fixable with Araldite, probably, but otherwise, unless you're used to electronics repair you'd have to replace the whole controller, which is stupidly expensive).

After removing the collet, I noticed the plate around the collet/router bit only had 1 screw in and 3 missing. what function does this piece have? Will inserting 2 more screws just suffice?

If it's the base itself, you just need short countersunk M4 (I think) screws, that cost pennies, and there should be five or six of them. If it's the motor part of the router, take it back and get a refund - someone's been inside, meaning all has not been well in the past!

In the photo here:
http://images.toolstop.co.uk/product/DW625EK_3.jpg
There are three small threaded rods screwed into the front of the base.. My router is missing these three threaded inserts/nuts/bolts. What is the purpose of these and where could I purchase some?

They are just bits of M4 studding, for depth stops - cheap and easy to replace.

Bluntly though, if it's that incomplete and evidently used, you might want to consider getting a refund.

On the collets: I found it was cheaper to get "spares" from the tool spares suppliers than 'accessories'.

Another tip: you don't theoretically need to, but I think it's much easier to keep collet and nut together. It's only a few extra quid for the nut, but it means far less hassle when changing over from 1/2" to 1/4" etc. Nut and collet clip together, but don't separate very easily,especially when you're in a hurry.

Hope that helps. Unless it was really cheap, take it back!

E.

Back