Desert Island Books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah..well if we are going down that road Andy...I am surprised that nobody has mentioned "Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools" by the great Jim Kingshott....he was a genius

Jim

I'm currently looking for more books on woodworking to flesh out my knowledge.

I'm getting Joyce, Garrett and Wearing.

It would be good to get some more additions to this thread for example which krenov books?

An interesting thread, perhaps will give me some recomended reading for the future.

I have a couple of Norms books somewhere, I'll have a re-read.

For a bit of a cross over recomendation I would suggest 'The Complete Modern Blacksmith' by Alex Weygers. Not so much of how to be a blacksmith but quite a bit of info on making some of your own basic tools from metal. Perhaps a bit basic for established tool makers but a good start for somebody new.

fwiw

James C,
Buy all the Krenov books they all have useful information and not just about how to work with wood, krenov gives his philosophy on working with it.

Mark W

Happy new year.

I have just been re-reading

Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking by Robert Ingham.

Easy to read and very informative. Some really good practice advice for me, a hobby woodworker. Don't know how a pro would view this though?

Mick

Interesting list coming up here. For the sake of arguement how about Betty Norbury's "Bespoke" just for a flick through on the beach.

Chris

mark w":1y7a4nbn said:
James C,
Buy all the Krenov books they all have useful information and not just about how to work with wood, krenov gives his philosophy on working with it.

Mark W

Happy new year.

Cheers Mark, looks like I'm building a book shelf soon to cope.

1. David Charlesworth's trilogy (a messy and poorly edited collection of magazine articles, but still the best ever woodworking books by a country mile)
2. Ernest Joyce, The Technique of Furniture Making (4th edition)
3. Ron Hock, The Perfect Edge
4. Chris Pye, Woodcarving, Tools, Materials, and Equipment, volumes 1 & 2.
5. Richard Raffan, Turning Projects,
6. Andrew Crawford, Fine Decorative Wood Boxes, (he's got a new box making book in the pipeline, can't wait)
7. Christoper Schwartz, The Anarchist's Toolbox,
8. Christopher Schwartz, Workbench Design, (with Making Workbenches by Sam Allen being the best beginner's introduction to work benches)
9. Ian Kirby, The Accurate Table Saw and The Accurate Router, the best books for these two important tools.
10. James Mursell, Windsor Chairmaking (just pips Michael Dunbar at the post)

Stuck on a 'desert Island', reading about the subject I love. All the time in the world, yet without the means to do anything? That's ruddy torture!
Ray Mears gets on my nerves a little, but I think one of his books would be the most practical choice. :lol: :lol:

John :D

Latest posts

Back