Demolishing a Chimney? Do I need any permission?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sitefive":s0m2npvj said:
Craigus":s0m2npvj said:
paulrockliffe":s0m2npvj said:
£400 + fees is a lot of money for drawing what's already there and rubbing out the chimney! You could get a good enough drawing in five minutes with a camera, a tape measure and a bit of photoshop to pull out the outlines and to then delete the chimney.

"You spent how much on that solid oak dining table? I can get one from Ikea for £50!"

Any way you look at it , it's insane amounts of £ for almost nothing!

sitefive":s0m2npvj said:
hardly a disadvantage , but yeah the thing is I Don't want to go asking because If I will ask they will most probably say yes- you need to give us money and that's totally a thing you need even though I might not need it at all...And if I give them my address they will probably visit to see what I'm doing...

The alternative is you go full steam ahead and do the work, then either a grumpy neighbor reports it or the planners find out somehow and you get an enforcement notice. That will cost you much more than £400...

Why are you asking for advice if you're just ignoring what you're given? I'm not sure why everyone is so scared of the council and trying to evade them all the time when it comes to planning permission, it all seems a bit tinfoil hat to me.

If the chimney was, say, in an unsafe condition and at risk of collapse or actually collapsed, what would you do / what could your neighbours do?

If you feel concerned about nosy neighbours, why not tell them, out of courtesy of course, that the chimney is unstable and some work will be done shortly to deal with it. A scaffold tower will be there for a day or so and you hope they are not inconvenienced. Next day the chimney is gone and the hole tiled over. Soon forgotten.

paulrockliffe said:
£400 + fees is a lot of money for drawing what's already there and rubbing out the chimney! You could get a good enough drawing in five minutes with a camera, a tape measure and a bit of photoshop to pull out the outlines and to then delete the chimney.

Bearing in mind the architect, after instructions, will, with an assistant, have to survey and measure the whole building, completely, almost brick by brick, window by window and produce an accurate scale drawing, as existing, on all 2, 3, or 4 elevations
Then produce scale drawings showing proposed alterations, supply location drawings,of the property.
You will need drawings especially in the case of a p. permission query
Any you think this £400.00 mentioned is too much?
Whilst I do feel that most so called "professionals are over paid, or valued, in this instance is very much a bargain.
Rodders

I agree with Rodders that £400 for set of drawings is reasonable. Whoever does them has to visit site - from wherever they work - and meet with client and survey the problem. This is going to take at least three hours and probably involve some ladder work and photos. Then they have to go back and produce the drawings, followed by some dialogue and correspondence. If you consider that you probably pay £150 an hour and upwards for a lawyer, why should an architect be less?

Back