Dehumidifier placement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Create ES

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok. i'm in the position where i require a dehumidifier for controlling the humidity better in my workshop. My plan is to automate it so i can control it from within my office.
The workshop has a volume of 261m3, with the highest point of the ceiling being 4.5m.
I realise that moist air rises, this is proven with the hydrometers that i have placed around the workshop.

My question is, where would be the best position for the dehumidifier? i have the option to hang it from the ceiling (and it would be out of the way) or would it be better on the floor? Ideally i'd like to hang it from the ceiling. Emptying it wouldn't be an issue as i'd run a hose from the unit.

Any input or guidance on this would be massively appreciated.

Andy

Depending on what work you do, dust might become an issue.
The dehumidifiers I am familiar with work by condensing moist air onto cooled tubes.
Think about filtering the air getting to the dehumidifier, to avoid a build up that might block the drain hose.

I put one in the workshop over the winter months and simply stand it in the center or move around if needed. Works great and a huge difference in keeping humidity constant.

galleywood":8trrzuy6 said:
Depending on what work you do, dust might become an issue.
The dehumidifiers I am familiar with work by condensing moist air onto cooled tubes.
Think about filtering the air getting to the dehumidifier, to avoid a build up that might block the drain hose.

I can control the dust, worst case scenario is i have to add an air purifier to the input of the dehumidifier. Plan A will be to attach a pre-filter.

I'm swaying heavily towards hanging it from the ceiling, it just makes more sense. it'll be out of the way and can be positioned central.
All i'm waiting for now is for someone to shout "nooooo! dehumidifiers should be placed on the ground for greatest efficiency!"

Is it a desiccant or condenser type de-humidifier, this makes a difference. A desiccant type likes cold air a condenser type likes warm air with regards to efficiency.

Personally I would suggest keep it on the floor or relatively low from a manual handling point of view and have a fan at the opposite side of the workshop on a timer to periodically churn the air up so you don't get dead spots.

A word that hasn't yet been mentioned is 'stratification'. Ignoring draughts, there is usually a vertical temperature gradient in any enclosed space, with cool air sitting under warmer air. In my uninsulated and sparsely heated old house, the top of a wall is usually three or four degrees warmer than the bottom - as is the air adjacent to it.

So, at temperatures near the dewpoint (about 10-12C for a high-middling humidity level), the lower part of the space will perhaps be most ready to give up its moisture load - with condensation at or near the floor, long before it occurs near the ceiling.

On that basis, I'd put the dehumidifier near the floor and in a reasonably central location.

Cheers, W2S

If it's a refrigerant dehum the temp is vital below about 14degrees it's not really working. Some do have a hot gas defrost but it's not efficient.
A dessicant is much more suited to cold dehumidification. These take in room air which is passed through a silicagel wheel. The dry air is then passed into the room. The clever bit is the wheel is dried out using hot air and the resulting moist air is usually blown out of the building. None of which is really temp dependant.
I suggest the very smallest dessicant as there quite power hungry.
Some will condense the moist air to liquid.

Back