December Challenge THE RESULTS and roundup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Richard has spoken and the results are .......

Hi Nev

Happy new year!

The results are in! Nice to see more entries this month. Some nice work too!

1st Dennisk. A lovely original and well made set. Can't fault them. Excellent work.
file.php

2nd HeatherW. I had to go back and check the rules for this one but it's fine so a well deserved second place! Loved the apparent simplicity here but am very aware of how difficult this would have been with the off centre turning. Nice pair of spoons too. Btw, the easy way to make scoops/spoons is like a goblet then cut one side off!
file.php

3rd SheptonPhil. A classic pair of shakers. Well turned using classic forms. They look to be a good pair well turned and finished. Well done.
file.php

4th Tazmaniandevil. I like the festive twist here. Not an easy wood to work but they have come out well. Good work.
file.php

5th Nev. I really wasn't sure about this when I first saw it but it's growing on me. I like the characterisation and personification that you put into your work. Just try to make sure the different parts work well together and individually. Good job.
file.php

6th Sammo. A really good effort, finished to a high standard. I appreciate that they are deliberately different but from a commercial and personal point of view they would work better if they matched. I also understand that for the competition you use the wood you have but these are almost too similar to distinguish between salt and pepper. See if you can get hold of a copy of 'Classic Forms' by Stuart Dyas to see some shapes that might work better.
file.php

7th Winemaker. Close between 6th and 7th. These are a nice pair but there is evidence of torn grain which is the main reason this drops to 7th. The shapes are good and match well though. The size of the pepper holes may be a bit big. Good effort though.
file.php

Well done all entrants. Happy new year!!

Looking forward to judging more work for 2014

Richard

Well done Dennis =D> and all the other entrants. (and I will be copying your ideas in the future :wink: )

Which means the overall 2013 Challenger is....

HeatherW with DennisK a very close second.
( but of course anyone who attempted any of the challenges and gained some knowledge and experience is a winner :) )

=D> Well done Heather =D>

A Big thanks to all who took part in any way in 2013 =D> judges, entrants, forum elves and anyone that has offered encouraging words to anyone else.

Now over to Mike and the 2014 Challenge.

2013 Challenge Summary .jpg

Attachments

• 2013 Challenge Summary .jpg
    2013 Challenge Summary .jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,208
Excellent entries this month.

Congratulations to Dennisk for the winning entry for this month and to HeatherW as the overall winner for the year!!

I hope you will both continue into the 2014 Challenge!

Thanks to nev for all the organisation this year - again I hope you will continue to enter in 2014.

Aww, shucks :oops: how scary is that! Not deserved, except maybe for persistence. (a couple of months with very few entrants bumped the points up quite a lot) And how much have I learnt in a year!

I also loved DennisK's entry, and I've liked nearly everything I've seen of his. And they're always immaculately finished and....perfect really!

The other ones that caught my eye this month is Tasmanian Devil's. How original is that!!

Please everyone who is reading this, consider entering the challenge in 2014. You won't regret it, it'll make you improve, even if you end up lying awake at night trying to figure out how to do something.

Thanks Nev and Richard for organising and judging respectively. Really do appreciate it!

Well done all, Have got some good ideas from the others, bit worried with Jans not sure I can do that never done piecing.

I've never done piercing either, Winemaker, I've never done anything until the challenge forced me to. Anyway, as far as I understand the rules, just one hole counts as piercing......perhaps Henton49er would like to clarify (and we're probably doing this on the wrong thread)

Congrats to the month's winners, I completely agree with the top three places, great imaginative results from a fairly mundane spec. Excellent.

Congrats to heatherw for the overall placing.

I just love SheptonPhil's shakers. I'm not normally a fan of really dark timber in the house but these are just drool worthy. maybe one day I could turn something that good?

heatherw":37937uqe said:
Anyway, as far as I understand the rules, just one hole counts as piercing......perhaps Henton49er would like to clarify (and we're probably doing this on the wrong thread)

I have replied - but put the post on the January Challenge thread! :D :D

Wow, that went quick and it was a lot of fun. I would like to thank Nev and all the judges, and everyone else involved. This challenge gets one to the lathe, and challenges one to get better, quality and design wise. Looking forward to this year, and to see every month what comes out of peoples minds. Some times it is, wow that is cool, wish I would have thought of that, and other times, gee what is that guy(gal) smoking?
But it is always interesting and as per last months entries, a lot of different ways to make something like S and P containers. Lets get started. dk

... and as an extra bonus, as if the kudos alone is not prize enough :shock: ....

Gift Voucher.jpg

=D> ...the secret prize of a tenners worth of vouchers is winging its way towards you HeatherW via PM. =D>

Well done once more and thanks for the support over 2013.

Attachments

• Gift Voucher.jpg
    Gift Voucher.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,046
Some fab entries this year. I will certainly be trying again this year as often as I can. If anyone is unsure, go for it. What do you have to lose?
One of the great things about the challenges is the challenge. Have a go, even if you don't enter the competition. I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my attempts despite my late start.

Well done to the winners. ... and everyone who took part in this year's challenge.

Im chuffed with my joint 5th! ! have achieved and exceeded my goal of 12 points.

On to this years goal......

GET MY MITS ON ONE OF THOSE PLAQUES! !!!!

Well a honourable mention. Very pleased.
Was aware that the woods are similar (in the photos) hence the beads on the pepper mill is coloured black.

On to January, already had one disaster. Start again tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping the challenge thread going. ..

sammo

Another great month for differing interpretation of a theme with some stunning entries.

My first year in turning and I can see improvements in finish and techniques due to the challenges entered.

Good luck with the challenge Mike, I Have already planned my January effort. (Planning and execution are two different things though).

The shakers I made were gifted to a friend at Christmas and the receiver was over the moon. Thanks for comment MMUK.

More entries the better, especially with the new scoring system.

Phil

henton49er":1s3r98fi said:
sammo":1s3r98fi said:
On to January, already had one disaster. Start again tomorrow.

If at first you don't succeed, try something simpler! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just so long as you submit something!!

The plan was a bowl with a pierced rim... big catch while not concentrating = two halves flying across the workshop and lots of blue language.

Sammo

Congratulations to all that took part and to those that got placed in the top 3. Even though I did not take part last year a thank you to those that took there time to Organise and Judge the competition I enjoyed watching all that went on. As I said before will make every effort to take part this year started the January piece two days ago should have it finished tomorrow hopefully touch wood nothing will go wrong.

=D> =D> congrats. to all the winners for Dec. and to the overall winners . =D> =D>

To Nev. thanks for all the hard work you putin over the past few years to keep the Challenge going ,also to the judges who give of their time and expertise to add a bit of culture to the whole thing .

As a non participant I get my kicks from watching the advancements made by entrants over the years .I hope many more people will make entries this year ,be they few or many you can only compete against those that do .

Good luck to all especially to 49r hope it will be a great year .

Back