Debt and money

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":23v3uza8 said:
doctor Bob":23v3uza8 said:
RogerS":23v3uza8 said:
Another topic that people (especially the press) get vexed about is to say that so-and-so in country Y only earns $x a month which compared to UK wages sounds exceedingly small (and usually the reason for printing this 'fact'). Yet without any mention of the prices in country Y, the earnings statement is meaningless.

Not really, I would hazard a guess that an Indian worker on 10p/hr is not going out at lunchtime and buying a big mac and chips for 5p.

Nope he won't. More like the equivalent of 0.01p. You need to check things out a bit more.

Really?

My surprise lead to a moment on google, which yielded;

"While a Big Mac costs $7.80 in Norway, you can get a Big Mac for $1.62 in India" from 'The Nordic Page'

Probably just a mistake. And anyway, life for the average Indian is a doddle, whatever the price of a B Mc. I mean, the weather, cheap cotton, flexible working hours.... The benefits are endless. :lol:

Can't see any Indian eating a Big Mac, aren't cows sacred over there :)

Droogs":2fuo7253 said:
Can't see any Indian eating a Big Mac, aren't cows sacred over there :)

http://www.indiamarks.com/what-you-can- ... lds-india/

The minimum wage varies a bit around the country but in many areas the unskilled worker makes less than £3 per day.

So a chicken burger at 85p is considerably more expensive for him than a burger here for someone on minimum wage.

RogerS":if7snfyl said:
doctor Bob":if7snfyl said:
RogerS":if7snfyl said:
Another topic that people (especially the press) get vexed about is to say that so-and-so in country Y only earns $x a month which compared to UK wages sounds exceedingly small (and usually the reason for printing this 'fact'). Yet without any mention of the prices in country Y, the earnings statement is meaningless.

Not really, I would hazard a guess that an Indian worker on 10p/hr is not going out at lunchtime and buying a big mac and chips for 5p.

Nope he won't. More like the equivalent of 0.01p. You need to check things out a bit more.

No not really Roger, it's a forum ........... I'm afraid I haven't checked it out but I don't think McDonalds would do a big mac for one hundreth of a penny.

Droogs":6dyp9kix said:
Cheshirechappie":6dyp9kix said:
Finally, the name of the British 'pound' came about because it was originally defined as a pound weight of silver (hence 'Sterling' perhaps?) - but it's devalued a bit since then!.

As I was taught, the British Pound got it's name from the Libraponda, which was the pound (approx weight) of salt paid to Roman auxiliary legionaries from dominian states on occupation duties in Britain. Which is why we use a stylised L as the symbol for the pound, although when promisery notes were first issued they were indeed a legal promise to provide the bearer with X lbs of sterling ie 99.99% pure silver on demand from the creditors bank
You're correct on the Roman bit, but sorry to split hairs sterling silver is 92.5% , 7.5% copper.

And all but proof 'copper' coinage here is predominantly steel. Likewise in the USA, "nickels" are a copper sandwich*.

I've occasionally picked up 2p pieces from the pavement**, which have gone rusty.

E.

*may have steel too - need to check with a magnet.

**this may be sad, but it's not stupid!

if you want copper coppers then you need to have pre 1991 coins as I believe tey change around about then to steel coated carp.

Like Flynnwood above, I watched Mike Maloney's video, and another of his about the difference between money and currency. Interesting, but as he's a precious metals dealer, he wants you to invest in gold and silver, and he has a vested interest in telling you that the world's money systems are near collapse. Earlier in the thread, someone posted a link to another explaination of banking, made by a group of anti-capitalist protestors. That clearly has An Agenda as well. Consequently, whilst there is useful information in videos from both sources, they both (from opposite ends of the political spectrum) have too much baggage to be taken literally.

Does that mean I think everything in world finance is tickety-boo and hunky-dory? Well - no, but some background research shows that the history of world banking - for the last three hunderd years, anyway - could be written as a series of lurches from one crisis to the next, with brief interludes of relative calm between them. For example, in 1730 the London banking system all but collapsed, being saved by collective effort by London's merchants. The system survives because those most involved have a vested interest in it's survival - an imperfect banking system is better for world trade and thus for everybody than no banking system at all. Currently, we have too much debt floating about, at least in the Western world - the sum of personal debt is pretty much covered by the sum of personal assets, corporate debt is covered by corporate assets (illegal to trade if liabilities exceed assets), but the real problem is government - public - debt. Too many governments have spent beyond their countrys' ability to raise tax revenue for too long; debt to GDP ratios are too high. Things like QE and dodgy efforts to prop up the Euro don't help.

Having learned a bit more about how national and international banking works, I'm a bit more confident that things will be made to work out. Two main reasons - the one mentioned above that an imperfect system is better than a collapsed one for pretty well everybody, and the other which never seems to be mentioned; the people who stand to loose most if the banking system collapses are - the bankers. Think of Fred Goodwin - who would employ him, now? How much influence does he have over - well, anything? The other bankers, despite the opprobrium loaded on them by various protestors, have a very strong incentive to see that the world carries on at least reasonably smoothly. So they'll do whatever they have to to see that it does, as they have during every other banking crisis in history.

Rose-tinted glasses? Well, maybe; but history does seem to support the general idea. The banking system has always been made to survive some pretty severe crises, because it's in mankind's best interests - and the bankers' best interests - that it does. I think we'll survive this one too.

Cheshirechappie":3n5h3idg said:
the people who stand to loose most if the banking system collapses are - the bankers.

Where have been the last 7 years? A very small number of bankers have lost anything, except maybe their bonuses for a year. It's exactly the lack of accountability and the incentives to take risks that was a major contributor to the crisis in the first place.
Before banking reform in the 80's, investment banks were usually small privately owned companies, with the owners having an awful lot to loose if anyone on their team made bad decisions. Now the small banks are pretty much extinct and we have a small number of huge corporations where the people in charge have little idea of what actually goes on in their organisation and have no personal stake in the business. The same goes for the staff, the worst that is likely to happen if they stop making money is they may loose their job. Job security is not something that seems to go with these careers anyway. Little has really changed since the crash, a few new regulations have been put in place but even if they they were very significant I don't believe these will be enforced any better then the existing one were.
The people with least to loose are still the bankers

I think you are overlooking one other major difference, until recently the banks function has been to support industry, now the banks ARE the industry

Its the people at the bottom that are paying for the last crisis and they will pay for the next one not the bankers most people at the top just move sideways to another job even if they screw up badly.

phil.p":ni5fiwfn said:
You're correct on the Roman bit, but sorry to split hairs sterling silver is 92.5% , 7.5% copper.

Thanks Phil, I like to learn something new every day
:)

The alloy makes it more serviceable - pure silver is very soft, which is why sometimes heavily worked and embossed items are made from pure rather than sterling. There is a grade in between which is quite uncommon - Britannia - which is 95.83% silver, the rest usually being copper.
The odd % is because of the relationship of the imperial measurements. :)

Back