Debonding CA glue for pen blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I was making a couple of pens at the weekend and had a few problems - the main one being that one of the blanks split when trimming the end and another chipped when turning. Also a tube got stuck in one blank.

It wasn't my most sucessful turning session!

I know you can get CA debonder but can you use it to retrieve the brass tubes from inside the pen blank and if you can, for the tube that got stuck, does it ruin the wood or can you still reuse the blank?

Thanks,

Buying spare tubes will be cheaper than buying debonder.
I don't know about re-using the blank, I just use the other half to make a duo style pen if there's an un-retrievable split.

I do have spare tubes but I bought some new kits and the tubes are a few mm longer....
It's all 7 mm slimline kits so I would have thought they'd all be the same length of tube but apparently not.

Hi Jen,

Just turn off the wood to re-expose the tube with a skew. ( with erm obvious loss of blank - after re-reading your post. )

Re the splitting when trimming - its you're trimmer sharp ? I had to sharpen mine at the weekend ( for the first time ) as i was having to use force to get it to cut. now just very gentle pressure works fine again.

Jensmith":1l3ym41h said:
I was making a couple of pens at the weekend and had a few problems - the main one being that one of the blanks split when trimming the end and another chipped when turning. Also a tube got stuck in one blank.

It wasn't my most sucessful turning session!

I know you can get CA debonder but can you use it to retrieve the brass tubes from inside the pen blank and if you can, for the tube that got stuck, does it ruin the wood or can you still reuse the blank?

Thanks,

When gluing the tubes into the wood blank , its best to leave the pan blanks for at least 1 hour to cool down as the glue goes of faster if you are trying to insert the brass tube when the blank is hot from drilling .

Also I use a belt sander to trin up the ends of the blanks when you have inserted the tubes , just stand it on its end up against the fence and hay presto trimmed :lol:

I have had a couple of blanks split slightly at the end. If they have split too much I do as has been said and turn it off of the tube, but I use a 1/8 miniture parting tool. If the split is not too bad then I carefully cut the split part off with a scew chisel, lathe running very slowly, and glue a small section of a contrasting wood on the end and turn that down. I have been using 5 min epoxy to glue the tubes in and to stop the epoxy getting onto the tubes I put a small rolled up bit of paper towl in at one end and that is the end that goes in first. When the paper towel is pushed out it cleans off any epoxy that may have got in there.

Pensbox.jpg

I had realised that there was a ring on the end of the pencil after I had assembled it, so there wasn't a way of removing it. But it's a present for sis-in-law, so at least she can't ask for her money back :oops: :oops:

Jonzjob":16hr5ood said:
I have had a couple of blanks split slightly at the end. If they have split too much I do as has been said and turn it off of the tube, but I use a 1/8 miniture parting tool. If the split is not too bad then I carefully cut the split part off with a scew chisel, lathe running very slowly, and glue a small section of a contrasting wood on the end and turn that down. I have been using 5 min epoxy to glue the tubes in and to stop the epoxy getting onto the tubes I put a small rolled up bit of paper towl in at one end and that is the end that goes in first. When the paper towel is pushed out it cleans off any epoxy that may have got in there.

I had realised that there was a ring on the end of the pencil after I had assembled it, so there wasn't a way of removing it. But it's a present for sis-in-law, so at least she can't ask for her money back :oops: :oops:

Thanks. The split is too bad to rectify I think as it's half the blank but I can turn it off at least.

How did you do the dark wood stripe in the top half of the pen?

Your pens look great and the two tone works but I think it can be a fine balance making a two tone look like it's meant to be two tone and not just due to a mistake.

The dark stripe is a single cut at 45º almost through the blank and a sliver of walnut glued into the slot with PVA. Just as you would with a Celtic knot but only one cut.

The black walnut and box do make a really nice contrast and work well together. I've also done it the other way round with a black walnut pen and box Celtic knot. Much more subdued and really nice. OH has that one..

PenFrances.jpg

I made myself a blank cutting jig too. It took a couple of minutes and works very well. Same size every time.

Penjig1.jpg

And to do the 45º cut acurately

Penjig2.jpg

Drilling the blanks on my drill press. The 'hinge' is just a bit of gash plastic I had doing nowt

Penjig3.jpg

Centering the blanks with this from Axminster

Penjig4.jpg

Thanks John, that pen is a lovely combination. I'll have to give the inlay a go on my next pen.

Jensmith":2a94q940 said:
laird":2a94q940 said:
What glue are you using?

Thick CA glue
I've had wood split with the exothermic reaction when using CA to bond the tubes in. I've never had it happen with PU glue. (Apart from splits when turning obviously dodgy timber).

Hi Jen,

I have given up on using CA glue for pen blanks. It's very messy and you have to work too quickly (with me it's an age thing). I use 5 minute epoxy (similar to araldite) and plug one end of the tube with a potato plug to prevent ingress of the glue. It is also important to make sure that all parts of the tube are covered as any voids could lead to a breakout. I also leave it at least an hour before reaming out the ends. If I think the blank may disintigrate by reaming (some acrylics, dymondwood etc) I too use a sander to bring it to size but the blank must be square on.

Like the rest of us I suspect you are going through that learning curve which is full of frustration on the way but full of joy when you eventually get it right :D

Regards,

Ray

Back