Dear Members- A point and a reminder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

On another current topic a joke has been made referencing the "in/out" subject.
The humour is not lost on me, nor do I expect it will be lost on many of the other members here. However I do hope that comments made along these lines in future will be :-
1, Few and far between.
2, Taken as a joke.
3, Written without any malicious overtones by their author.

I'm not over reacting, there's enough of that on the "Who's in, who's out" topic. But may I remind you that despite the obvious differences of opinion in that topic, we ARE like minded individuals hence our membership here. I have (and I expect you all to share this view) no desire for this place to implode.

Sermon over :wink:

It beggars belief that it's still being allowed to run and run (in circles, I might add).

discussions (arguments) on religion and politics are pointless. No one EVER changes their minds.
All such topics should be closed on any moderated forum as far as I'm concerned. I dont even read them.
On another forum I am on, a post was started about "saving the planet by going green" It was closed before the third post could be registered.

I have to agree, i think its time its put to bed on the forum.
It would be nice to have a zero tolerance policy regarding it, to avoid arguments breaking out in topics which were not intended to be politics related.
The sharpening debates (arguments) should provide us with enough room to debate to our hearts content.

n0legs":fmciwof7 said:
Hello all.

The humour is not lost on me, nor do I expect it will be lost on many of the other members here. However I do hope that comments made along these lines in future will be :-
1, Few and far between.
2, Taken as a joke.

I'm not over reacting, there's enough of that on the "Who's in, who's out" topic. But may I remind you that despite the obvious differences of opinion in that topic, we ARE like minded individuals hence our membership here. I have (and I expect you all to share this view) no desire for this place to implode.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Is the 'joke' your bottles of beer post? If so I fail to see why you bothered!

If people want to discuss the issue then why not? Moderators have cleared it and are clearly keeping a close eye on what's being said and by whom.

If people don't like it don't read the thread, - simples.

Oh,- and don't start another one moaning about it either!!!

stuartpaul":108kocor said:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Is the 'joke' your bottles of beer post? If so I fail to see why you bothered!

If people want to discuss the issue then why not? Moderators have cleared it and are clearly keeping a close eye on what's being said and by whom.

If people don't like it don't read the thread, - simples.

Oh,- and don't start another one moaning about it either!!!

I'm sorry SP if you don't see my point and it's not my "bottles of beer" posts either.
I won't be pointing out the topic I was referring to, I'm fairly sure the like minded members will "get it".
Maybe unfairly on my part to use it as a springboard, but it served as a trigger point or a realization that maybe a timely reminder was in order.
Please feel free to exercise your own advice regarding any posts or topics I submit.
Thank you for your comments, it is important that we can all communicate as we have always done.

But it's not that "simples". Argumentative threads are damaging to a forum. Saying "don't read it then" is all too common a reaction... but it misses the fundamental point that members bickering (even out of sight of others) has a detrimental effect on the forum itself.

See? I rest my case for closed threads. But I actually CAN just not read anymore of this one. (VBG).

Maybe if you use any sort of forum you should have to wear a shock collar at all times. If someone gets offended by what you write they have the opportunity to send you a shock. Of course you then have the option to shock them straight back at a slightly higher voltage. Then it's their turn again and so on each time incrementally increasing the pain. Make arguing on the net and bit more answerable in real life terms.
:wink:

I've actually learnt a few things from it so I'm glad it wasn't closed straight away. What I can't abide is rudeness, there's no need for it amongst adults.

I'm not sure I get this thing about closing threads. The one in question had some interesting points. A few people sometimes get a bit heated, but we can all apply a filter and just ignore those interjections.

n0legs":32rjfyha said:
Hello all.

1, Few and far between.
2, Taken as a joke.

This "joke" was it the post referring to a commonly used Russian assault weapon and a particular religion?

Noel":1x9evyq3 said:
This "joke" was it the post referring to a commonly used Russian assault weapon and a particular religion?

I hope nobody with a sense-of-humour bypass took offence at me NOT mentioning a religion in that post? :roll:

NazNomad":2c9o8pe3 said:
Noel":2c9o8pe3 said:

I hope nobody with a sense-of-humour bypass took offence at me NOT mentioning a religion in that post? :roll:

You really think your post was a joke? It was distasteful, disgusting.

In my opinion, the post supposing that the dentist was 'probably a Muslim' was far more distasteful than my ridiculing of his/her ignorance. But it's the internet, nobody is ever supposed to agree with anything, am I right?

If you were genuinely disgusted by my post, please be reassured that it was not my intention.

I'd like to thank the mods for letting that thread run for as long as it did, and thanks to the contributors. I enjoyed the conversation very much.
There were certainly a few yellow card offences and I have to agree with the ref on red carding the comment this thread refers to.
Don't know what to use now as a distraction from my day job,

Naz,

If Noel really thought is was disgusting and distasteful surely he (as a moderator) could have deleted it.

I too have enjoyed the varied and very well argued posts of "the thread" on both sides, and would also wish wholeheartedly that it does not disintegrate to the extent that it damages this forum. You all are a friendly and helpful bunch which makes this different to a lot of forums which are elitist and not user-friendly for a newcomer.

Best wishes to all,

Andrew

Austinisgreat":hxgi2ol6 said:
Naz,

If Noel really thought is was disgusting and distasteful surely he (as a moderator) could have deleted it.

I too have enjoyed the varied and very well argued posts of "the thread" on both sides, and would also wish wholeheartedly that it does not disintegrate to the extent that it damages this forum. You all are a friendly and helpful bunch which makes this different to a lot of forums which are elitist and not user-friendly for a newcomer.

Best wishes to all,

Andrew

You think I didn't really think it was distasteful? I did see it as disgusting along with many others (as evidenced above), including complaints by PM. Moderating isn't just about deleting objectionable content, there many other ways to moderate a forum.
And best wishes to you too.

Its a real shame the thread wasn't locked as soon as the referendum had finished as some of us had asked , this would have stopped a lot of bad feeling amongst members I fear some damage has been done .

Back