Dealing with logs that are too big.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bellringer":2qyam8vi said:
well the tree surgeon should have thought of a chain sawmill
Exactly what I said too.

Without having seen the tree when it was on the ground and knowing what issues they had with it, it might be wrong to be overly critical.
If there was a lot of rot that might have made it uneconomic to work on. I've heard many of these smaller on-site milling operations are very reluctant to work on garden trees because of the risk of hidden debris damaging the chain.

Rhossydd":3otbcohs said:
bellringer":3otbcohs said:
well the tree surgeon should have thought of a chain sawmill
Exactly what I said too.

Without having seen the tree when it was on the ground and knowing what issues they had with it, it might be wrong to be overly critical.
If there was a lot of rot that might have made it uneconomic to work on. I've heard many of these smaller on-site milling operations are very reluctant to work on garden trees because of the risk of hidden debris damaging the chain.

the one i use in the contract is if he hit metal i pay for the new chain

I`m lucky,I have a jet 3520B,so I don`t get bits of wood that are to big,so far any way,with my freestanding toolrest I can turn up to about 6` width,I plan on turning a board like a fellow club member(Nowich Woodturners) did to see if i can,its just affording the board haha,cheers,

Eric.

woodturnerEric":320xq1c4 said:
I`m lucky,I have a jet 3520B,so I don`t get bits of wood that are to big,so far any way,with my freestanding toolrest I can turn up to about 6` width,I plan on turning a board like a fellow club member(Nowich Woodturners) did to see if i can,its just affording the board haha,cheers,

Eric.

That lathe the 3520 was one of the three on my list. But there was no way for me to get it into my car and bring it back to France and I did not want to wait and fetch it with my trailer. Even it would be too small to deal with spindle turning the main trunk of the yew tree I found virtually up for grabs.

Back