De-lurking, saying hello and a tale of how I came this way.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
Glad you have joined in the fun, this is a fantastic corner of the internet.
If you can turn some cedar, your workshop will smell fantastic for days :D
Enjoy
Rich

Welcome Adrian. from the way you are talking unless you get central heating before next winter you are going to have a very cold house :lol: :lol: Methinks you are hooked, enjoy it and lots of help from this forum. REgards Boysie.

This years bash folks? :lol: :lol: On another forum some of the people in France were bemoaning the fact that they couldn' get rid of wood easily had to get it dumped. if that's the case you are quids in. You also have some talented turners over there to emulate.

Pete

Hi Adrian, and welcome to the forum. You'll see some excellent stuff on here, along with much friendly advice.
Nice part of the world to live in.

Malc :D

CHJ":evsjtqsy said:
Spam trap was blocking your picture Adrian, it will leave you alone after a couple more posts.
tour_a_bois_gtb10_0.jpg

Marketed here Under the REXON lable I think.

Ahh.. that's the thing and whilst it's a different colour than mine a couple of elements of it are immediately recognisable as they come straight out of the ministry of rubbish design... (The tool rest lockdown and tailstock are both heinous) still, it's not taken the edge of using it too much and it is a beginner lathe.

Spent a little time yesterday afternoon on a table saw roughing some likely candidates (Oak and Elm) for replacement tool handles as my next little project. I've a smattering of old unloved tools that I'd bought at auction years ago (files, rasps, chisels, gouges, nail pullers etc.) that could all do with a makeover.

Then took a bold step and gave my tools a little TLC, all the gouges were sharpened and my skew and parting tool a fine amount of stropping/polish. The Skew in particular has always disappointed out of the box and I was never convinced that the factory finish was great on it.

Tried hard to measure the gauge of the spindle thread on the lathe - can't equate it to anything that makes any sense on a 'tpi' scale so I'm guessing it's metric. I'll email the makers. Armed with the right knowledge I'll then start the hunt for a chuck as I'm longing to have a go at some bowl forms.

Looking at the picture,I would guess it's a 3/4" x 16tpi thread (or similar looking ones generally are)

Andrew

Back