De-lurking, saying hello and a tale of how I came this way.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellebouche

Reaction score
Longtime listener, first time caller!

I've been lurking and watching this forum for a while... and as I've finally started to turn some wood now it was high time I registered and said hello.

I've long held a fascination for turned wood - but until recently it's been constrained to buying pieces of turned art at shows and the like. Even simple bowls are just great to hold. My fave has to be pieces of turned fruit and we have a tidy little collection of these that we've bought over the last 15 years or so.

I've always longed to 'have-a-go' and to that end my wife bought me a lathe and some tools a couple of years ago and I've just been waiting for some downtime to get it all set up and have a go.

We've no central heating so if we want to get warm in the winter you've got to light a fire. I've lost count of the times I've pulled a log, split it to find an amazing tiger-stripe figure in some sycamore or some eerie spalting in a piece of birch and then just lobbed it in the barrow to ultimately be chucked on the fire that night. A little heartbreaking I know as there's only a little guilt and the moment passes. I've pulled some of the better bits aside over the years and have a stack of dried, concrete hard split, cracked firewood that might have made a beautiful object if I'd known what I was doing.

Fast forward to this winter and a fresh delivery of mostly Oak and stood amongst the pile before I set to sorting and stacking it and I decided to finally pull my finger out.

I've read a fair amount online. Bought some tutorial books. Watched a DVD. Seen countless youtube clips... it doesn't look too hard - time to have a go.

Not quite as easy as it looks.

So now, a few days in and I've turned half a dozen bits - made a ton of mistakes, made lots of shavings and dust, had one minor accident but finally last night had a bit of a revelation and was able to turn and badly matched pair of finials (from a softwood pallet scrap!) with a little form and grace to it. I couldn't be happier. I'll be back along to ask questions and post pics of whatever I manage to create.

Adrian

Hello Adrian and welcome :D
I think it's great that you have decided to have a go yourself,the rewards i'm sure you know will be much more satisfying,even in the early days.
Just keep practicing and asking and all these problems that you are having now will soon disappear.
Will look forward to seeing some piccys of your work :D

Welcome to the "slippery slope" Adrian

You will get all the help and assistance you need on this forum

May you have many years happy turning

Malcolm

P.S. what part of the country are you in

Welcome Adrian :D

As you progress you will find an ever expanding range of things to do with spinny stuff :D

Keep some of your early pieces to have as a reference later. Its a fascinating craft with so many possibilities from the utilitarian to the beautiful.

The slope is loooong and very slippppeeerry :shock:

Regards,

Mike C

Hi There Adrian !

Great to see you here, and to learn that you've embarked upon what should become an utterly absorbing and highly satisfying 'creative' pastime ! :D

Look forward to seeing some of your efforts as time progresses... you will get loads of help and info from the great and the good of the forum !
:D :D :D

Welcome along !... you're certain to love this game, its fantastic 8) 8) 8)

welcome.gif
to the forum Adrian, adding your location to your profile, nearest city or just the county may help others offering advice point you in the right direction.
Also a basic idea of your lathe and any accessories such as chucks means advice can be relevant to your setup.

welcome adrian, i only turn/make pens at the moment. i have gleaned a hell of a lot of advise and info from this great and friendly forum. so much so that i am also starting to get itchy fingers to do some other stuff.
swmbo fancy's a couple of tea light holders, so i am going to try my hand at them this week. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Welcome to the doubtfully honourable society of woodspinning madmen (and women of course!). The frustrations will be immense but the pleasure imeasurable. If you haven't already done so then get a copy of Keith Rowley's "Woodturning - a foundation course." You won't regret it.

Richard

Hi and welcome. Always nice to find someone else on the slope. As said put your location in your profile and let us know what lathe you have. Also, in a couple of posts you can put some pics up of your work. Don't wait until you think it's good enough, we have all types on here from professionals to outright newbies so you'll get plenty of helpful critique and advice.

Pete

Welcome to the group!

What lathe have you got?
Where are the pics?
What have you made so far? and of course,
Where are the pics? :D

welcome - I'm not sure there's a better place on the net to be honest - good crew on here.

Miles

Hi Adrian, and welcome aboard. Follow the advice and get some photos up. I now feel guilty cause I ain't put much up for a while. :oops:

Thanks all for the very warm welcome - it's most appreciated.

I'm in Poitou-Charentes, France... just about 90min inland from LaRochelle on the West coast... kind of half way down and a couple of hours north of Bordeaux/Cognac. I've friends and family in Cheshire and visit often.

I've been at it for just a couple of evenings since setting up the lathe at the weekend... my roster runs pretty light so far! This is the 7th thing I'd turned.

3327466543_fd1ba9de14.jpg

It started out as an egg in a cup - ended up a bit more like the Brighton pavilion!

My Lathe is a 'General GTB10' - a generic cheapy Chinese made affair I think. It has a 370W motor, 4 speeds off a geared step-down band affair (810/1180/1700/2480 rpm). It will take a 1M long spindle and turn a diameter of 350mm over the bed. It came with a screw threaded four-prong drive, a fairly large (cast iron?) 135mm faceplate but no chuck. The Spindle thread coming off the main drive shaft is (I think) 3/4". I'll trot along and measure it tomorrow.

bellebouche":2674s2zz said:
Thanks all for the very warm welcome - it's most appreciated.

I'm in Poitou-Charentes, France... just about 90min inland from LaRochelle on the West coast... kind of half way down and a couple of hours north of Bordeaux/Cognac. I've friends and family in Cheshire and visit often.

I've been at it for just a couple of evenings since setting up the lathe at the weekend... my roster runs pretty light so far! This is the 7th thing I'd turned.

3327466543_fd1ba9de14.jpg

It started out as an egg in a cup - ended up a bit more like the Brighton pavilion!

My Lathe is a 'General GTB10' - a generic cheapy Chinese made affair I think. It has a 370W motor, 4 speeds off a geared step-down band affair (810/1180/1700/2480 rpm). It will take a 1M long spindle and turn a diameter of 350mm over the bed. It came with a screw threaded four-prong drive, a fairly large (cast iron?) 135mm faceplate but no chuck. The Spindle thread coming off the main drive shaft is (I think) 3/4". I'll trot along and measure it tomorrow.

Spam trap was blocking your picture Adrian, it will leave you alone after a couple more posts.
tour_a_bois_gtb10_0.jpg

Marketed here Under the REXON lable I think.

Back