De lurking Pile of tools - odd bits - photo heavy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a pile of tools that have been kept in a garage for a long time, I would like advice on refurbishing where needed, and in view of a recent redundency an idea of value would be nice. Because of the amount of tools I will split this across a few posts.

Here are the odds, I have no idea what some of these are

What the ?????
conv_A63T5887.jpg

Joint master
conv_A63T5882.jpg

Who knows?
conv_A63T5883.jpg

Squares - I would like tips on how to derust these please
conv_A63T5879.jpg

bits
conv_A63T5880.jpg

bits
conv_A63T5886.jpg

???
conv_A63T5884.jpg

conv_A63T5881.jpg

???
conv_A63T5885.jpg

Thanks for looking
Mark

baggy":eig3ih07 said:
Hi all

I have a pile of tools that have been kept in a garage for a long time, I would like advice on refurbishing where needed, and in view of a recent redundency an idea of value would be nice. Because of the amount of tools I will split this across a few posts.

What the ?????
conv_A63T5887.jpg

It's for sharpening drill bits - I think you use an electric drill to spin the little grindstone.

Joint master
conv_A63T5882.jpg

Who knows?
conv_A63T5883.jpg

Mortice chisel for a really old morticer without the internal augur
Plugging chisel for cleaning out mortar between bricks
Vernier gauge
Taps
Fence from a Record 071 router (the blue thing)
A tap wrench (to use with the taps to thread holes in metal)

A cutting tool for a metal lathe

Squares - I would like tips on how to derust these please
conv_A63T5879.jpg

Search on here for Citric Acid or Electrolysis or Vinegar

bits
conv_A63T5880.jpg

Useful selection, mostly to use in a brace, but the previous owner has turned away the square ends to put them in an ordinary drill chuck. There's a small punch (for making holes in leather etc) lurking in with them.

Centre bits,

bits
conv_A63T5886.jpg

Mostly for a hand brace, but some are for a pillar drill

???
conv_A63T5884.jpg

Bench dogs, cutters for the Record 071 and what is I think a very rare Record template which might tempt a collector - but Record is not collected as crazily as Stanley or Preston.

conv_A63T5881.jpg

Marking gauges, a nice cranked gouge, a plane handle - nothing very valuable there.
???
conv_A63T5885.jpg

More blades for the Record router, a plough plane blade, a shell bit, something modified from a countersink, cuddly toy.

Hope this helps!

Hi Andy

Very useful TVM

You mentioned

> Useful selection, mostly to use in a brace, but the previous owner
> has turned away the square ends to put them in an ordinary
> drill chuck.
Does that mean that they can no longer be used in a brace?

> There's a small punch (for making holes in leather etc) lurking in
> with them.
Ah... that could be handy.

Thanks again
Mark

baggy":cgt4josp said:
Hi Andy

Very useful TVM

You mentioned

> Useful selection, mostly to use in a brace, but the previous owner
> has turned away the square ends to put them in an ordinary
> drill chuck.
Does that mean that they can no longer be used in a brace?

Thanks again
Mark

It depends on the design of the jaws inside the chuck. Some models (eg many of the C20th Stanley ones) have a straight groove at the front which is designed to grip round drill bits, so you could be lucky.

Hi again

AndyT":e6ldwxsi said:
It depends on the design of the jaws inside the chuck. Some models (eg many of the C20th Stanley ones) have a straight groove at the front which is designed to grip round drill bits, so you could be lucky.
Thanks for that.

I will only keep the Record template, the leather punch and the cranked gouge all the rest I will rehome. The gouge/punch I can use and the template maybe worth a punt on ebay.

Thank
Mark

baggy":1hsxk3oa said:
Hi all

Joint master
conv_A63T5882.jpg

The old Joinmaster is quite a handy little piece of kit. I have one and still use it on occasion when I want to cut a few quick joints at night and don't want to disturb the neighbours by firing up any machinery.

???
conv_A63T5884.jpg

Depending on the angles, the Dovetail template would be useful (the LN one sells for over 30 quid!). I've never used the stopped chamfer template, so couldn't comment.

The U-shaped pieces are not actually Bench dogs. I can't for the life of me remember what they are called, but they are used for edge jointing of boards. Basically you span the joint and bash 'em into the end grain. The tapers pull the ends of the boards together as they go in. Just don't bash them in so far that you can't lever them out when the glue has dried. (DAMHIKT! :shock: )

Thanks for looking
Mark

Quite right Mark - Joiner's Dogs, not bench dogs. Used just like you said.

AndyT":3dft1hsk said:
baggy":3dft1hsk said:
Hi all

What the ?????
conv_A63T5887.jpg

It's for sharpening drill bits - I think you use an electric drill to spin the little grindstone.
I think this is meant to be used on a flat abrasive stone or wet & dry on glass like scary sharp. The back wheels are eccentric, which rocks the jig to grind the clearance angle for the cutting edge. I remember wanting one of these when still at school, I never could sharpen drills with Dads help. :shock:

Thanks all, I am learning loads reading here then off to google :)

I should say that I am open to offers on any of the items above.

mark

The drill sharpener is definitely intended for use with abrasive paper. I have one lurking somewhere complete with instructions. If you are interested I will go rummaging.

James

Hi baggy.

Keep the three cutters and the fence for Record 071 router together. In my experience routers frequently are listed with just one (or zero) cutters. So these will be be useful to you (or someone else if you decide to sell them).

If you sell the stainless steel Record dovetail templates, sell them with the box. You'll get much more for them that way (even if the box is a bit tatty).

Cheers, Vann

AndyT":3eya1rp4 said:
Quite right Mark - Joiner's Dogs, not bench dogs. Used just like you said.

Actually, 'twas me wot said it! :wink:

And I remembered whilst I was in bed last night :roll: that my woodwork teacher and my grandad called them "Pinch Dogs".

Hi

I have only just come across this forum and believe it or not only yesterday got a record 071 router. In fact I found the forum when googling the router. It does have two cutting heads but you can never have too many.

Should you be willing to part with your three, please let me know.

Fred

Back