DB mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Reaction score
Hello all in 2014. I need a new double bev mitre saw. Large job, (amateur), coming up of panel ceiling mouldings with hundreds of mitre joints.. Radial arm crosscut not accurate enough. All top makes seem much the same but is there one which which is renowned for accuracy? Not always having to re-adjust, which is the problem with the radial arm saw. Any help welcomed.

I recently moved house and since it was a rather old house in need of rebuilding i invested in some tools. Amongst many other things i changed out my Makita Flip-saw for a separate tablesaw and a SCMS. I tried a lot of different ones, but ended up buying the Festool Kapex 120.
If you have a lot of mitres to do, i would expect this saw to do them all without any need for any setup. Mine's performed flawlessly this far, if it's moulding or large oak planks.
The cons with this saw is the price, but for me, it was easily weighed up in ease of use and not least dust collection.

Another vote for the Festool Kapex 120, mines be great in the 4 months I've had it! The included mitre angle finder thingy-ma-bob might save you lots of time and effort.

It's a lot of money ~£950 (saw only), about £1300 all in with UG-stand and extensions (this is what I bought). Look around for £50 voucher off deals on at the moment (most retailers have a few going spare, I'm told).

Tom.

I have a radial arm saw which I have lovingly restored. It is a 1960's/70's model DeWalt and I have to say it runs rings round any mitre saw I have tried yet. I have tried the Kapex (I don't own one, yet.... :mrgreen: ) and it is great, but no better accuracy wise than my RAS.
I certainly don't have to readjust it unless I wish to actually alter the angle of cut. Most of the time I have it carefully set to 90', which allows me to cut boards etc accurately with a minimum of fuss and worry. It has yet to let me down.
I don't think I have heard many complaints about the accuracy of RAS's, although this post may open the floodgates.
Maybe I misunderstood the post - do you mean you have to readjust the saw because it moves without you wishing it to? In other words; does it not keep its accuracy once set? Perhaps a slight service may be beneficial?

Although, all this should not deter you from buying a new 'toy'. When has necessity ever had anything to do with whether you should buy a Festool? Not for me! (I do own 5 or 6 systainers with contents!)

AFAIK Radial arm saws are pretty accurate, but I am interested to know if the general concensus is that a sliding mitre saw is now more accurate.

HTH

Caz (who is not sure she likes the fact that so many of you are buying new gadgets and I am not allowed! mmmhhhh.)

Here's a vote for something other than Festool, and which won't make quite such a big hole in the bank balance - I've had a DeWalt SMS for probably 12+ years; it's as accurate as I could imagine it's possible to be, and stays dead accurate, until you change it.

After 12 or whatever nuimber of years use, its still spot on.

I have to put a vote in for the Dewalt versions to, after trying and breaking pretty much most other brands of saw I have to say that nothing has quite stood up to the durability of the Dewalt.

I have two of the DW717 XPS 250mm blade saws for site work and they stand up to the abuse of being thrown in and out of a van on a daily basis whilst still remaining accurate to within a +- 1/2mm

The third saw I have is the large DW780 XPS 315mm blade which is permanently set up in the workshop and that has yet to let me down. It has the extra feature of being able to adjust the rpm of the blade which is great if you have to cut aluminium or plastics etc.

The XPS feature is what really sells it for me, for multiple cuts of different lengths speeds locating the blade so much quicker, and far far superior to any lazer. There is a little LED light that shines over the top of the blade which in turn casts a shadow on to the work piece exactly where the blade will make the cut. This is supremely accurate and never needs setting up with a blade change as the shadow automatically changes with the blade. As far as I know Dewalt own the patent to this and probably with this feature alone would swing it for me, let alone that you can buy 2 of these saws for the price of one Kapex.

Don't get me wrong, the Kapex is a nice saw but I don't see how one can justify the price when there are other systems out there that are equally as good for half the money. (different with domino etc as nothing else hand held does that sort of thing)

ITS LONDON currently have a sale on these saws, as do other places to if you search around.

Peace and Cake.

hansonread":1djz16yf said:
I have to put a vote in for the Dewalt versions to, after trying and breaking pretty much most other brands of saw I have to say that nothing has quite stood up to the durability of the Dewalt.

I have two of the DW717 XPS 250mm blade saws for site work and they stand up to the abuse of being thrown in and out of a van on a daily basis whilst still remaining accurate to within a +- 1/2mm

The third saw I have is the large DW780 XPS 315mm blade which is permanently set up in the workshop and that has yet to let me down. It has the extra feature of being able to adjust the rpm of the blade which is great if you have to cut aluminium or plastics etc.

The XPS feature is what really sells it for me, for multiple cuts of different lengths speeds locating the blade so much quicker, and far far superior to any lazer. There is a little LED light that shines over the top of the blade which in turn casts a shadow on to the work piece exactly where the blade will make the cut. This is supremely accurate and never needs setting up with a blade change as the shadow automatically changes with the blade. As far as I know Dewalt own the patent to this and probably with this feature alone would swing it for me, let alone that you can buy 2 of these saws for the price of one Kapex.

Don't get me wrong, the Kapex is a nice saw but I don't see how one can justify the price when there are other systems out there that are equally as good for half the money. (different with domino etc as nothing else hand held does that sort of thing)

ITS LONDON currently have a sale on these saws, as do other places to if you search around.

Peace and Cake.
+1 Dewalt great value for money get yourself two like these with the stand for the price of the Festool

DSC_0036_zps342ae907.jpg

Cheers Bern

Peace and Cake.[/quote]
+1 Dewalt great value for money get yourself two like these with the stand for the price of the Festool

DSC_0036_zps342ae907.jpg

Cheers Bern[/quote]

NOT LIKING THE MISSING GUARD! (having lost my thumb to this beast and had to have the displeasure of having it sewed back on!)

Another vote for the dewalt from me. Very accurate and i hardly ever have to reset any of the settings. Plus a lot cheaper than the festool

One of Festool's big advantages is dust control, but mitre saws are just all messy (and I've had a Kapex so speak from experience) therefore I'm not sure the Festool advantage is quite so significant with this particular tool.

hansonread":1705ggid said:
Peace and Cake.

DSC_0036_zps342ae907.jpg

Cheers Bern[/quote]

NOT LIKING THE MISSING GUARD! (having lost my thumb to this beast and had to have the displeasure of having it sewed back on!)[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the thumb , Very naughty of me to take the guard off i know .This saw is the old 07 model with the laser ,which is pants and with the guard on you just can't see what you are doing. Easy to sight through the blade with the guard off but VERY DANGEROUS .I wouldnt recommend anyone copying this.

Cheers Bern

Berncarpenter":2gx90ywv said:
hansonread":2gx90ywv said:
Peace and Cake.

DSC_0036_zps342ae907.jpg

Cheers Bern

NOT LIKING THE MISSING GUARD! (having lost my thumb to this beast and had to have the displeasure of having it sewed back on!)[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the thumb , Very naughty of me to take the guard off i know .This saw is the old 07 model with the laser ,which is pants and with the guard on you just can't see what you are doing. Easy to sight through the blade with the guard off but VERY DANGEROUS .I wouldnt recommend anyone copying this.

Cheers Bern[/quote]

Was my own stupid fault, didn't completely remove it, but close to it! The perils of driving home from London, getting home at 11pm then back in the workshop at 4am to manufacture some unexpected aluminium bracketry, before the drive up again in the morning to stay on deadline, probably being just a bit to tired to concentrate!!

I have a Bosch 10" saw that impresses me every time I use it in terms of accuracy and hassle free use. It's a GCM10SD and aside from its size and weight making it a bit of a challenge to lug around, it is a great piece of kit.

Fitted to a dewalt stand it's a setup that I cannot really think of much I'd look to improve.

I loved my Makita LS1013. I never had an issue with accuracy or reliability. Dust control was comparable with any of the "best" brands. And it's half the price of the Festool.

Must get a new one when funds allow.......

MMUK":1ea1mloy said:
I loved my Makita LS1013. I never had an issue with accuracy or reliability. Dust control was comparable with any of the "best" brands. And it's half the price of the Festool.

I've had a Makita ls 1013 for years I agree with you . Accuracy and reliability are great but dust control is rubbish.

It doesn't compare to the kapex for dust extraction. That and the weight of the thing are the only let down. We've used ls 1013's for probably 20 years now.

chippy1970":3f6683ff said:
MMUK":3f6683ff said:

I've had a Makita ls 1013 for years I agree with you . Accuracy and reliability are great but dust control is rubbish.

It doesn't compare to the kapex for dust extraction. That and the weight of the thing are the only let down. We've used ls 1013's for probably 20 years now.

What is your extractor setup? I found that it was much better having a separate extractor for the SCMS. All I used was a twin motor 110v Numatic with a 50 litre drum I picked up for £25 plus the cost of a new hose and an adapter. Made so much difference to having it on a shared system.

Thanks all for the very useful advice. I know Festool's quality having their polisher - very well made - but I can't justify the cost in this instance. I know I'm guilty of buying the best available, often pointlessly but in this instance - No!

Caroleb. Sorry, but a radial arm saw can't be set up to hold adjustment perfectly. I was a toolmaker, used to real accuracy and these saws are made comparatively roughly and have adjusting screw added, always inferior to castings finely ground to size.

As for all the others I've looked at, well, they all seem pretty well made and robust in operation although they each seem to have particular abilities which is why I was asking about accuracy.

The job is approx. 200 2ft. lengths of moulding mitred both ends for a timber paneled ceiling. Costwise, the most economical way seems to price out at having a pro shop run the mouldings in say, 5 metre lengths then cut to size on a mitre saw. A previous job indicated the cost of the mitre saw would be less than the extra shop cost of cutting to finished size.

Thanks for the help.

Fencer":f5edjkv3 said:
Thanks all for the very useful advice. I know Festool's quality having their polisher - very well made - but I can't justify the cost in this instance. I know I'm guilty of buying the best available, often pointlessly but in this instance - No!

Caroleb. Sorry, but a radial arm saw can't be set up to hold adjustment perfectly. I was a toolmaker, used to real accuracy and these saws are made comparatively roughly and have adjusting screw added, always inferior to castings finely ground to size.

As for all the others I've looked at, well, they all seem pretty well made and robust in operation although they each seem to have particular abilities which is why I was asking about accuracy.

The job is approx. 200 2ft. lengths of moulding mitred both ends for a timber paneled ceiling. Costwise, the most economical way seems to price out at having a pro shop run the mouldings in say, 5 metre lengths then cut to size on a mitre saw. A previous job indicated the cost of the mitre saw would be less than the extra shop cost of cutting to finished size.

Thanks for the help.
What sort of size is the moulding? If not too wide, would something like this be an option?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-mt1-mitre-trimmer

While not as fast as a mitre saw. It will be quieter, cleaner and probably more accurate :)

Back