David Stanley tool auction Friday 3 Jan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
David Stanley have cleverly arranged their next auction of second hand tools for next Friday, when quite a few people will still be on holiday but allowed out from their loving families for a while.
I will be there and I believe quite a few other UKW members will too.

For anyone who's not been, it's an excellent way to see and handle several tons of old tools even if you don't bid for any. There are also lots of really good dealer stalls and local plane making hero Bill Carter is usually on hand to display and discuss his masterpieces.

Refreshments are on sale all day. It opens early (and on the day before) for viewing.

For anyone with any interest in old tools, it's an excellent day out.

So who's going?

Oooh! I hate you! :twisted:

I've just spent the last hour going through the list

mod edit: img removed. (please remember some people are easily offended )

Ill be attending :)
Does everyone go the day before? What are the starting times, can't find this info on website
TT

I'll see you there Toby!
I can't make the day before.
The auction starts at 10.00 but the venue is open early - from about 7 I think.

We'll be there - on the Friday as early as we can muster. It's quite exciting enough without going on Thursday. \:D/

Will be good to see you Toby.

I'd love to go, and I'm local too.
Unfortunately I'm working solid from the 2nd for three weeks :cry: .
Plus, I don't trust myself not to bid on things I can I'll afford!
Good luck to all going.
And could someone please pass on my thanks to Bill Carter for his 'blunt chisel' technique. (Tell him I was the (ahem) 'young' man asking lots of questions at Mac Timbers). I now have a variety of said tools which are perfect for making the tools I do.

Adam.

I'm 127 miles into my journey to the Leicester. Staying the night so I can get there early to view.
I'll be wearing a red hoodie with many a green coat oh and with the misses so if you spot me (dout there's to many 23year olds) give me a shout as I don't know what anyone looks like :)
Hopefully see you all tomorrow
Take care till then

TT

I might pop along my self if the weathers not to bad!

Pete

Well I went and met up with RichardT, AndyT, Tobytools, Toolsntat, David Barron was there as well as Bill Carter and Rich Arnold.
Had a good chat and fondled some very nice tools RichaddT smoother is very nice.
Some thing went very cheap like a box of No4 for a fiver and a Clifton No8 for £120 I didn't bid on any thing myself.
Some pictures

Clifton No8

Andy (toolsntat)
Had with him his planes for making planes moulding planed that cut the sole and other parts of the planes.
These cut the soles,

And these are for the shape of top of the wedge,

He also had some strange rounds that cut the hollow on the side of the moulding planes,

Its a good day out, even if a cup of coke was £1.30 and didn't taste like coke!

Pete

Was great to see everyone,
Was a no7, clifton dont manufacture a no8 :)
Opening bid was £90
Funny conciderig the estimate was £30-£40
TT

Racers":3b8hw2s8 said:
Some thing went very cheap like a box of No4 for a fiver and a Clifton No8 for £120
Clifton No8

That would have to be a Clifton No.7 Pete. They never made a No.8 - although they did make irons for them until about 2010.

Cheers, Vann.

edit: Opps! Toby beat me to it.

Vann":5gq8fs64 said:
Racers":5gq8fs64 said:
Some thing went very cheap like a box of No4 for a fiver and a Clifton No8 for £120
Clifton No8

That would have to be a Clifton No.7 Pete. They never made a No.8 - although they did make irons for them until about 2010.

Cheers, Vann.

edit: Opps! Toby beat me to it.

Beat you to it vann :)
TT

does anyone know of such auctions in the south east of england ?
i may get a quick kick from SWMBO if I got anywhere near one of these auctions

Steve

Racers":1njl8k03 said:
Oops, thanks chaps.

Pete

£20-£30
I can't believe the prices that some things went tho, triple the estimate in some cases. On closer inspection on a lot I got it said one replacement wege but infact there was two I don't know how I didn't seen that when they where infront of me, overwhelmed :)
Saying that one replacement was made from rosewood, on a beech plane ha.

Will you be going to the international sale?

TT

I wish I had been able to meet up with you lot rather than working !

I looked at the catalogue and thought that the estimates looked unrealistically low in many cases - eg the Record compass planes and skew rebate planes. I assimed that this is a ploy to lure the punters in ...

Latest posts

Back