Data protection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a phone call today from an insurance company.
Now I live in the back end of nowhere, we have only recently come off of a party line and broad band it ain't!
Our phone line is bad and I'm Mutt and Jeff, so the wife takes the call and explains that as the line is bad today I will not be able to hear.
Woman on line says she can't discuss it with my wife due to the DPA!
So if I've got this straight, the woman cannot discuss my financial affairs with my wife of 40 yrs as they are secret but she is allowed to know all about them!
Odd!

Roy.

DPA is the funniest thing going...
i rang virgin regarding prob but as its in swmbo's name the person on other end (CSA) can't discuss it with me...
so i pass phone to swmbo, couple of q's asked DOB and how bill is paid and from what bank, then passes phone back to me...
my first line was "so how did you know that was the account holder then?"

total silence was the response closely followed by "i'll get my manager" who then tried to grill me on who swmbo was lol...

rubbish

My reply in the past to their daft comments was, 'wanna see my driver's license?' It's ridiculous isn't it?

Roy.

I like it when they ask for DOB, address bla bla bla,
I always say that they could be anybody and I'm not giving my DOB etc to someone on the phone=-- winds them up something rotten.

What puzzles me is don't these people understand that it is BS?
When my wife was in hospital giving birth I phoned to find out what was happening.
I was informed that the baby was fine.
I asked about my wife and was informed that, 'she is well as can be expected!'
I exploded and pointed out that that was also true of a corpse!
Matron!

Roy.

When my dear old Mum was on her last legs there was a need to cancel her BT 'phone account. I rang and was given the old 'must speak to the account holder speech', This was in spite of Mum not being in a state likely to know what was going on and being forty-odd miles away. There was no way I could cancel the account.

Apart that is from registering account tracking, etc., via the internet, and of course subsequently cancelling the thing. :?

xy

Gets even better when organisations think they can call you to talk about your account and start by asking security questions. I've lot count of the amount of times I've had to explain that they called me so perhaps I should be the one verifying their legitimacy.

We've been chasing British Gas for a £500 refund for the last six months.

It's in my partner's name, but I'm a bit better on the phone, so deal with it.

They generally get so far before realising I'm not the account holder, so ask if I can put her on to give permission for me to talk on her behalf.

The conversation usually goes something like

Them: "Can I speak to the account holder to confirm I can give you the information?"

Me: "Of course, here she is"

Them, to partner: "Can you confirm I can give your partner this information"

Partner: "Yes"

Them, to me: "blah blah blah"

(And that's usually as much sense as anything they say)

So much for security!

Back