Data for space planning a fully equipped workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireMartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to leasing a place to work. One of the things I know I'm going to have to sort out first is to decide how much space I want.

Several of you were kind enough to help me and several suggestions were made, with the median coming it at around 800 to 1000 sq ft. What I'd like to do now is take it a stage further with space planning.

For example, I'm guessing the best location for a planer/thicknesser is against a wall, with perhaps 3m either side and in front. A table saw, may require 3m all around. There may also be fire regulations I'm not aware of etc.

Since I'm starting from scratch I have an awful lot of flexibility. The space is almost certainly going to be rectangular, but in a larger unit, I may divide the space up into different work rooms, which I felt may be helpful for tasks like finishing which ideally would be away from any source of dust? I'm also not sure of how many benches to build but I guess this isn't a major issue really.

Is there perhaps standard data available that would specify the space needed around individual workshop machines in a wood shop, or a rule of thumb? Obviously this will vary somewhat but I'm looking for a starting point so that I can get plans drawn up in CAD.

As a general rule, the machinery I either have or intend to acquire will be small scale industrial, so no 5 tonne wadkin's or panel saws at this stage.

You may already be thinking of it but put what you can on mobile bases so when you need the extra space you can just move things around.

Doug

Space is one aspect but workflow is at least as important. So wood store to crosscut, cross cut to rip saw, ripsaw to planer etc. etc. Take the rip saw to planer example you want the infeed for the planer near the outfield of the saw so that as you take wood off the saw and stack it, the next operation can use that stack no double handling or walking any distance.
I would aim to separate the machine shop from the assembly shop for comfort, heating, dust and noise purposes.

Doug71":38o51did said:
You may already be thinking of it but put what you can on mobile bases so when you need the extra space you can just move things around.

Doug

I'd considered it as its what I do now, but to be honest if I'm going to be spending this much I just want everything bolted down in place. The thought of wheeling the bandsaw out of the way and the planer into the center of the shop just to thickness a single 2ft length of stock isn't very appealing. Then theres connection/disconnection of dust collection and power. I do try to plan but these situations arise unexpectedly and as I have very limited time to work I want to make it count as much as possible, so have to be willing to pay for the convenience I guess :?

Althought granted, anything is an improvement on my current situation, where I'm several miles away from my main machines :lol:

PAC1":2etdxgwk said:
Space is one aspect but workflow is at least as important. So wood store to crosscut, cross cut to rip saw, ripsaw to planer etc. etc. Take the rip saw to planer example you want the infeed for the planer near the outfield of the saw so that as you take wood off the saw and stack it, the next operation can use that stack no double handling or walking any distance.
I would aim to separate the machine shop from the assembly shop for comfort, heating, dust and noise purposes.

Thanks PAC, this is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. I don't need speed of construction due to client pressure but literally down to time pressure from family life.

I'll keep that aspect in mind.

See if you can find some sturdy 3ft x 6ft trolleys something like http://www.safetyliftingear.com/product ... 0wodmEsCMw
It's makes moving timber around much easier and also helps free up space. My wood comes straight off the crosscut,ripsaw and on to one of these. The planers quite a distance from the saws, but having a couple of these make it a doddle ;)

Coley

I am right now in the process of setting up a 80 square metre workshop tohether with a friend. I supply the machines and he supplies the space and the electricity and in a few months we will try to calculate who is in debth to whom.

I suggest that you put the mayor machines on pallets and then use a pallet jack to move them around on the floor. The initial theoretic plan will probably not work out in practise but once the machines are on place yoy can see what went wrong and adjust your full scale jigsaw puzzle until everything looks right. Then take the machines off their pallets.

Before spending anything on rent make sure the timing's right, do you have the products and customers to move up to the next level? Are you clear what you'll be making and that there's a market for it? Do you have the right skills? Are you clear where you'll source materials? Are your designs proven and ready to go? Do you have a plan B?

Almost every bespoke furniture maker that I know operates at minimum wage levels or below when it comes to furniture. If there's a mortgage to pay or a family to support the truth is the real income comes from some other endeavour; heritage joinery, yacht fit outs, kitchens and built ins, joinery packages, teaching, etc. Furniture making is an enchanting occupation but the rewards are miserable, which is why when you probe you find the ranks of bespoke furniture makers are full of makers who have a military or police pension, a part time "proper" job, an understanding and well paid spouse, or some other way of keeping the wolf from the door.

Good luck!

Regarding planning the machine layout, I would avoid CAD and use a sheet of paper with your workshop plan drawn on it, then cut out carboard templates of machines and move them around on the plan to suit.

If you cut a scale board of wood, say 3m long x 300mm wide you can position machines to allow for machining.

Divide processsing into:

1. initial machining comprising of cross cutting, ripping, surfacing and thicknessing.

2. initial machining of sheet materials, ie panel saw, track saw etc

3. 2nd level of processing, cutting to length, cutting joints, curves, profiling etc

4. assembly and bench machining

5. polishing / painting

6. office area if you are going to have a computer etc.

notes:
a chainsaw can be used for cutting sawn boards to length before ripping and you can work directly off your timber stack, saves carrying a board just to cut down in length.

if you dont use many hand tools like handplanes, you might find trestles more useful than a fixed workbench

dont forget after assembly many parts will need more machining

keep a big area free for assembly

try not to use your machinery tables as tool racks whilst doing bench work! or you will be forever clearing them off to set up for 1 cut.....

Brilliant gents. This will be a great reference when I move forward. I knew this wasn't going to be simple, but advice like this is invaluable. Not something you can easily find in a book.

custard: advice well heeded. I do have some backup with the costs so it's not a risk all situation. If it was, after reading this forum for a good while now about peoples experiences, I'm not sure I'd take it on unless I was an especially talented craftsman, which I most certainly am not.

Next workshop I get, as well as improving the obvious lighting, heating and extraction.
I will make a perfectly flat area say 3 metres by 1.2 for assembling.
Either from mdf and timber or from poured concrete covered in chipboard.
At least when I make wardrobes, large frames or furniture I will at least know that they fit together properly when level.
Trying to wedge large pieces level only leads to problems.

Back