Darkening oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a bed headboard for my Mother-in-Law. We talked about the design and have settled on a frame made of ash and panels made from oak. I would like to darken the oak slightly to make a good contrast with the ash. I intend to use danish oil as my finish.

Can anybody recommend a good stain to use in conjunction with danish oil? Is it best to use a spirit based or water based stain?

Thanks

Bob

You can use one or the other but I have found spirit stains much easier to use and get even :)

Bob,
Contrary to Colin's experience, I find water based stains easier to use than spirit stains which can dry very quickly and I find that makes it harder for me to get even coverage/results.

If I am worried about the prospect of blotching (some timbers are very prone to this). I usually spray stain which makes it rather easy to get a nice even coverage and you can build up a few very light coats to get the shade you need

Having said all that, I usually fume english oak to make it darker rather than staining it as I like the resulting colour better. I do stain AWO.

I have heard about fuming, but never had the equipment, or the need, to try it. The panels are going to be fairly small, about 450 x 100, so I do not need a fuming tent too big. I am however worried about doing them one at a time in case they turn out different colours.

I am more interested in stains. Is there any problem using water or spirit based stains under danish oil?

Thanks for the help so far

Bob

One advantage of water-based stains is that you can lighten them and correct any unevenness with a damp cloth if necessary :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":36swrsak said:
One advantage of water-based stains is that you can lighten them and correct any unevenness with a damp cloth if necessary :wink:

Paul
Paul
you can do the same with spirit on spirit stain but I do use both and you should have no problem with them under danish oil :)

I prefer naptha-based stains. You don't get blotchiness like water-based stains. And you don't have the problem of drying too quickly that you get from spirit-based stains. They give a more uniform appearance all-round. There are 2 disadvantages, it takes several hours to dry completely (although it's dry to the touch in a few minutes). and you can't build it up to achieve a darker shade (if that's what you're after.) You need to pick a dye that is exactly what you want, or you can thin it to a degree with white spirits. I haven't used it with Danish oil, but I've heard of people who have. As both are oil-based, it should be no problem.

Brad

Brad, Bob
Using a naphtha based stain with Danish oil could give problems just as using a water based stain with a water-based finish can give problems. The carrier for the finish is a solvent for the stain! If using Danish oil, it is far safer to stick with a water based or spirit based stain.

If you don't wish to spray the stain, you can reduce the tendency to blotch by first wetting the wood with water (just use a fairly damp cloth and wipe it over the surface) this reduces the tendency for the pores to suck up the finish as they are already partially filled with water and it helps deal with differential absorption. Also please ensure you don't confuse blotching due to a wood's characteristics with say, sanding differences on the surface of the wood - less than perfect sanding can introduce differences in appearance at staining time - say when using 320 grit on one part and 240 grit on another.

Spirit based stains are generally more fugitive than water based stains, so if this is a concern (depends on how much daylight the piece is likely to be exposed to) then do some test pieces and leave them in a window for a couple of weeks and then compare with samples which have not been exposed to the light.

I have found Vandyke Crystals work well on oak, you can mix them to whatever consistancy you need to get the tone required.

Jason

waterhead37":1ijqwrok said:
Brad, Bob
Using a naphtha based stain with Danish oil could give problems just as using a water based stain with a water-based finish can give problems. The carrier for the finish is a solvent for the stain! If using Danish oil, it is far safer to stick with a water based or spirit based stain.

That's not a problem with naptha based stains as the colour does not sit on the surface. I have never seen any kind of solvent able to alter the colour one jot, once it is soaked into the wood. The only thing one is able to do to alter the colour is to sand it, or add a coloured topcoat.

Brad

Hi Chris
There is a small bit you have missed on the spirit stain as you can now get light fast ( does not fade in sun light, like before :) )
Just thought I would let you all know :)

Just to clarify that last point, as far as I know usually only methanol/ethanol based stains are fade resistant, not the white spirit based ones - which I know aren't really be spoken about here but just in case...

Our Spirit Stain range is manufactured using fade resistant dyestuffs and pigments should this be of interest,

Terry Smart":2l4pfpx6 said:
Just to clarify that last point, as far as I know usually only methanol/ethanol based stains are fade resistant, not the white spirit based ones - which I know aren't really be spoken about here but just in case...

Our Spirit Stain range is manufactured using fade resistant dyestuffs and pigments should this be of interest,

Chestnut spirit stains, may be fade resistant, but I've used spirit based stains that faded very quickly on an interior door that got a lot of direct sun through a window; despite the fact that I used a varnish with uv protection. When you mention white spirit based, I think you may mean naptha based. I've never had fading problems with those. But then again, I can't think of anything I've stained which was in as extreme sunlight as that door. Just my own experience.

Brad

Hi Terry
I did not mean white spirit stains but I was not clear on that, so thanks for adding that info :)

Hi Brad
I think you might have used the old type spirit stain as it was well known to fade in sun light but the new ones dont fade as quickly.

I've always found Bollom's colourfast 143 stain in MAHOGANY works well as an oak stain. You get that rich polished oak colour without the 'redness' of other mahogany stains

waterhead37":22w6aksc said:
Having said all that, I usually fume english oak to make it darker rather than staining it as I like the resulting colour better.

I'm with Chris on this one, if you can stand the smell and the peices are small, it's surprisingly easy to do and you get a lot more control over the shade - just take it out when you get to the colour you want.

Mark

Back