danish oil & stain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinedwards

Reaction score
hi folks, new to this board, but not a stranger to fora in general so I'll try to behave, honest!!

Ok, question......

I'm making a doubleneck acoustic guitar for a friend (well, ex friend after this monster!!) and he wants the sitka spruce top darkened down from the anaemic (his word) pale natural finish

40600018.jpg

Any other builds I've used Danish oil to very pleasing effect and as I don't have spray facilities, and brushing is... well... brushing I want to continue with the tried & trusted method.

like these....

40600129.jpg

BUT,

to stain, do I stain the bare wood first, mix the stain with the danish oil or put a few coats of clear oil on first?

obviously I'm gonna try on offcuts first, but I don't have that much spare sitka laying around to practice on and I dont want to waste what I have on a hopeless dead alley.

thanks in advance

Martin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've mixed spirit based stain with Danish Oil in the past without problems, infact its easier to apply an even coat of stain. Do a test piece first to get the shade you want then apply to the Guitar, once that reaches the right shade carry on with more coats of plain unstained oil.

Jason

Back