Danish oil on worktops - it's wearing off after a week or so

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update.

After almost two years use, the V33 water-based varnish is holding up well. There is damage where SWMBO put a hot pan down, but it's not getting worse and the surface is still sealed. Also a couple of small areas where the finish is wearing slightly (but slowly) - I suspect these were caused the same way.....

Once I'm happy that SWMBO has lost the hot pan habit, I'll sand down and give it another couple of coats - that then should last for several years.

Cheers

I got fed up with the oil treatment on our worktops 7 years ago so sanded them back and used Ronseal hard floor varnish which is water based. So far they have stood up well to the abuse they get and I haven't had to re-treat them at all.

Guys, new to this blogging technology, but I'm fed up with oiling a new Ask kitchen drainer already - and it's only been installed 6 months! However carefully I sand down and apply many coats of oil, it still gets marked very easily.

The advice appears to be forget oils (Danish, Rustin's Worktop, or whatever) and go for varnish, so long as it is good quality and put on carefully. Is that a good summation?

Back