Danish Oil - Harrogate.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of recent political issues Danish oil will no longer be sold in this country, instead you will have to use commonwealth sourced oils.

I've got an inside track on a secret consignment being smuggled in though, if your interested. wink wink, say no more. :)

Froggy, on the off chance you've never read this before you can easily make your own version of this sort of finish. It's just a blend of varnish and oil, thinned with some amount of white spirit.

Literally as easy as shaking together these ingredients in a clean jar if you want to make up a DIY version.

Cheaper versions tend to be very heavily thinned (3/4 spirit) and have more oil, more expensive versions have more varnish in the mix. You can blend yours accordingly, or make different versions for different applications.

Thanks guys.
Peter I did look at the exhibitors lists first and then checked their web sites for Danish oil, but found none. That's why I asked. At the same time I checked out your shop and found you sell Tite bond glue, so I'll be coming to you for that at least. As well as tools I am stocking up on sundries. Living in the French country sides makes it difficult to source some things.
ED65 Thanks for the tip. I'll google it and find the formula and type of oil needed.

Froggy,
If you're buying some Danish oil in the UK would you be able to pick some up for me and my neighbor? I'm just down the road from you in St Etienne De Fursac.
Dex

Froggy":15zz3q8u said:
I did look at the exhibitors lists first and then checked their web sites for Danish oil, but found none.

Don't mean to be a smart-buttocks but Axminster and Turners Retreat both list Liberon Danish Oil on their websites and both will be there.

HTH

monkeybiter":1l8qaysr said:
Froggy":1l8qaysr said:
I did look at the exhibitors lists first and then checked their web sites for Danish oil, but found none.

Don't mean to be a smart-buttocks but Axminster and Turners Retreat both list Liberon Danish Oil on their websites and both will be there.

HTH

You may find others also stock Danish or similar products, but I would check they are taking them to the show.

http://www.snaintonwoodworking.com/inde ... shing.html

http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk/results.php?cat=Oils

Thanks for taking a look at our website Froggy, if you have a list of products in mind, send us an email first. We stock over 1000 products but won't be taking everything to the show and the same will apply to the other exhibitors. We don't always take the glues as we try ensure they don't suffer frost damage, and we try to take the more unusual products that the public will struggle to see unless they come and visit us in Worcestershire.

Cheers Peter

Rustins will be there and their Danish Oil is great - tested for food contact and toys (can't remember the BS standard number)

Froggy":2qpv26cx said:
ED65 Thanks for the tip. I'll google it and find the formula and type of oil needed.
You don't have to be very particular TBH, any varnish and any drying oil will make something acceptable.

You'll find the proportions generally suggested are equal parts of all three ingredients (1:1:1 oil, varnish and spirits), but you should try variations out to get something that suits you better than a standard mix from a tin. For tool handles I'm fond of a more dilute mixture so I might use 1:1:3, for something like a jewellery box I'd use less oil, more varnish and only thin enough to make it easy to apply, so the proportions might end up being around 2:4:1.

As far as which oil to use although there are actually a fair number you can use it usually comes down to a choice between linseed oil (BLO specifically) or tung oil, which are the two main finishing oils in woodwork. And between those this is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned in favour of BLO since there's no advantage to using tung oil in this sort of mixture.

No Mike you're not being a smart-buttocks, I only gave you have the information. I knew Axy did the Liberon Danish oil but I don't like it that much. I have never tried the Rustins though, so thank you Duncan.
Peter thanks again for the tips. I will have a think over the next couple of days about what consumables I need but I think other than the oil and glue I only want sandpaper, but as I say I think about it and make a list.

There aren't by any chance any table saw blade sharpeners there are there?

ED65 Do you know where I can buy solid non urethane varnish?

Latest posts

Back