Danish oil ... and varnish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just finished a new back door in European oak and about to hang it (I say finish but have a double glazing unit on order).
Now I love finishing with Danish oil, but this door leads from kitchen to the garage and with 3 dogs, SWMBO prefers varnish finish. I varnished a beautiful piece of oak for the window sill, but the varnish hardly brought out the grain like oil does. However, the concern is that oil (+/- wax afters) won't take a regular cleaning of muddy water splashes being wiped off.
So - can you varnish after Danish oil?
I have seen mention of Hard Wax oils? Are these more suitable?
Any other advice?

Thanks, Mark

Osmo do a hard wax oil called Poly X . It's very hard wearing and brings out the grain well. It was originally designed for wood floors, but don't let that put you off. It's quite popular amongst cabinet makers etc.

Don't apply it too thick, thin coats only.

Varnish is a bit dated imho.

If your not keen on the Osmo, have a look at Sikkens, or Sadolin range.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks - I have ordered a tin and see how it goes! I take it that you brush it in, rather than use a cloth.

Whilst I am thinking about it, would it also be suitable for kitchen unit doors - to give durability but also bring out the beauty of the grain? I was planning to see a friend to spray these doors - when I have made them, but if this works well, maybe it would be just as good?!

Mark

Yes you brush it on, but sparingly. It has a slowish drying time.

I know one or two people that use a cloth to apply it, but I stick to the recommended instructions on the tin.

Back