damaged goods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here’s a new one for me, expecting a delivery on Tuesday and received this email from the company…..
Thank you for your purchase. I would be very grateful if you sign for your item as damaged, even if it appears undamaged from the outside. Delivery drivers almost certainly won’t wait until you open up the box to check inside, so if you could please write “damaged” in the box on the electronic terminal at the point of delivery as a precaution, otherwise you will be unable to make a claim against the courier should damage become apparent once the package has been opened.
Kind regards
Westbank Wholesale.

That’s why I use eBay money back guarantee.bb

Interesting.... and even if you don't make a claim, they might assume you have written damaged and make one anyway thus getting another payment.

Not uncommon, Ive had that message from reliable suppliers before, its not a scam, it does mean if the goods really are damaged then the supplier can claim the cost back from the courier.

It would be more honest to simply write "Not inspected" as I was asked to do by one supplier.

Found this on their website.
Goods must be checked at point of delivery; if there is any damage, please state on the delivery note.

I will be waiting with my Stanley to open it up before I sign, he will not leave without a signature. This is a hefty bit of kit that should take any knocks during transit, what I find frustrating is missing parts rather than damage.

I don't think that sellers can realistically expect a delivery driver to wait while goods are completely unpacked, checked and tested. If everyone did it the driver's number of daily deliveries would be drastically reduced and we would all be waiting much longer for our orders.

RogerP":3h57byc7 said:
I don't think that sellers can realistically expect a delivery driver to wait while goods are completely unpacked, checked and tested. If everyone did it the driver's number of daily deliveries would be drastically reduced and we would all be waiting much longer for our orders.

That's the point though. Delivery companies should allow enough time in the process for customers to check before signing.

woodpig":wz19f6rf said:
That's the point though. Delivery companies should allow enough time in the process for customers to check before signing.
... which would only serve to increase the price of deliveries to the buyer.

How long would the driver be waiting whilst you unpacked and checked say a laptop computer?

The courier contract is between the sender and courier and not the person / company receiving the goods , so it would not be you making the claim with the courier , your contract is with the seller not the courier !

RogerP":926wnx1t said:

Agreed, I wouldn’t expect a driver to hang around either, depends on the goods, this is a block splitter so not much to go wrong. My garage is six yards from road and I will have it opened and checked in no time. I shall tell him the supplier insists on checking. I have paid £30 delivery charge from West Yorkshire. I expect it will go to a hub in Bristol and then the local boys will pick it up from there.
Most delivery people in my area are self employed, owner driver with their own vans and do not receive a realistic wage. I don’t know if the minimum wage effects them or not, maybe it’s only for direct employed people...bb

There's no way I would sign as damaged before I've even opened the box unless the box itself is damaged, doing so is basically a lie IMHO. I always write "unchecked" and never had any issues.

It's the suppliers problem and if they are having issues with the courier they should use a different company.

Bob

I think it is very cheaky as for all you know , you are happy and carry on with the product , the seller makes a claim as damaged and gets a refund from the courier . You are none the wiser , and the seller makes a nice little bonus on top of the profit they made selling you the original product . Some may say that it easy to jump to conclusions but in this day an age , you just dont know .

cheers

My suspicions exactly, that’s why I shall check before signing. Not saying this is their motive but it’s the first time I have heard of this. I will not be signing “damaged” unless it is of course...bb

doubleb":1so9r72q said:
I will be waiting with my Stanley to open it up before I sign,

Be very careful. We took delivery of two three seater sofas last week. The delivery team used a knife to unwrap them and stupidly put a 6mm cut in one of the leather seat cushions. They now have to replace all three cushions and the lower front panel to ensure a colour match.

Well it arrived, partly in it’s box, partly in cardboard and parcel tape. I told the driver it looks damaged, he said that is how he picked it up. Cut the cardboard open and it looked good but has had a bang on one edge. He advised, “sign damaged”. The handle extension would not fit, a few strokes with the file and all was well. Tested and working fine, pleased so far….thanks for all your comments and advice…..bb

Back