Damage to a Wadkin BAO/S Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a nice old 12" Wadkin p/t. Unfortunately, the geniuses who shipped it carefully removed the ratchet straps holding it to the pallet, with the result that it fell over in transit and cracked the mounting lugs on what Wadkin call the Fence Adjusting Bracket - the casting that holds the fence in place. Doh! Bah!

Bracket 1.jpg

Wadkin don't stock parts for machines made 50 odd years ago, of course. A machine shop could probably cobble something together that would get me out of trouble, but the ideal would be to find someone who has one that is dead for some other reason, or is 'breaking for parts'.

Any bright ideas would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Bracket 1.jpg
    Bracket 1.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 250
There’s been one breaking for spares on eBay for a while. From the looks of the add he is selling individual parts. He may have the part you’re looking for, he may also try to make you pay through the nose for it, judging by the auction price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2290488202

Listing is nothing to do with me, but I have a recurring Wadkin search on eBay and have seen it so many times now I remember it!

F.

I'd be real tempted to try some jb weld on that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Make a steel plate that replicates the profile, drill a couple of holes into the cast iron piece and secure the plate to the casting with blind tapped counter sunk bolts. I’d use 10mm thick plate. JB weld the lug to the main casting and then bolt the assembly back onto the machine. A bit of paint and only you will know of the repair. It can all be done with hand tools.

Fitzroy":83xqndfe said:
There’s been one breaking for spares on eBay for a while. From the looks of the add he is selling individual parts. He may have the part you’re looking for, he may also try to make you pay through the nose for it, judging by the auction price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2290488202

Listing is nothing to do with me, but I have a recurring Wadkin search on eBay and have seen it so many times now I remember it!

F.

Thanks! I've asked him.

Peter

I've had good results with just drilling and tapping the part and bolt together then 'v' out and weld with my mig welder

Sorry to go off subject a little, but I have a question Wallace.

I bought another old Startrite table saw to refurbish recently and there is some damaged bits snapped off of the edge of the cast iron table.

I read somewhere that to re weld cast iron, it has to be heated to a high temperature before being welded up.

Are you saying that a standard MIG weld will do the job without the need of additional heat...? Also, is Brazing an option..?

Thanks, Tim.

I'm not a welder by any stretch of the imagination, I have spoken to people who weld cast regularly with nickle rods and no preheat.
I have welded damaged cast parts a few times and they are still stuck together. I have just done the trial and error thing. My method is if possible drill and tap then preheat with a simple blow torch then weld with mig. And then stick the blow torch on for a bit or I have even stuck a part in the house oven when the wife wasn't looking.
It doesn't matter what the weld looks like a grinder soon makes it look like anyone elses weld

If all else fails, there's a fantastic bronze casting company next to me who would prabably be able to make a new peice from the old for you. powderhallbronze.co.uk

hth

Use a quality epoxy after a good degrease. It will be stronger than the original cast in cold applications .

Latest posts

Back