Dado Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfin

Reaction score
I m very new to woodworking. I was looking at a set of plans and it recomends the use of a dado saw. I know the problem with these as in europe we have braked circurar saws and the dado is not suitable.
What can I use instead of a dado??

Thank you for any replys

If you look at the Videos section of this site, you will see CHarley showing how to cut dadoes (we call them Housings over here) using a router and a jig.

Housings and grooves cut with a dado head ARE allowed, it's just that not many saws are capable of taking a dado head. They are too small and have short arbors. But there are saws, like the Excalibur saws from Woodford, which will take a dado head. They just have to be used in a way which retains guarding and braking times.

S

I use a dado head on my Wadkin AGS very successfully. Now I would not put a dado head on any of the new "hobby" table saws, they are just not built for it, but my old Wadkin has a long shaft made to take them and its built like a Panzer. It hasn't got a brake on it, never had. My take on brakes is that the rules are a brake has to stop the machine in 10 seconds. Now imagine your hand has caught in the blade / dado of a table saw, then count for ten seconds, taking into account if you could hit the off button while your hand was being mangled. I don't think such brakes are as wonderful as they are cracked up to be. Just use common sense, know your using lethal machinery. more accidents happen through stupidity I reckon than anything else.

And as to whats allowed and whats not here in the UK, if you don't employ anyone, and just use the machine yourself then you can do whatever you like. There is nothing to say you cant use your nose for a push stick if you want to. :shock:

IMG_0271.jpg

Dangermouse":10qlzqd7 said:
My take on brakes is that the rules are a brake has to stop the machine in 10 seconds. Now imagine your hand has caught in the blade / dado of a table saw, then count for ten seconds, taking into account if you could hit the off button while your hand was being mangled. I don't think such brakes are as wonderful as they are cracked up to be.

I kind of got the impression it was more so that once the machine is turned off, it's 'safe' within a shorter period of time. In particular in a commercial environment, if people turn the machine off and walk off, someone else coming along afterward who doesn't hear the noise of the motor (because it's been stopped!) is less likely to lean over and injure themselves on the still-spinning blade.

Just from a single-hobby-user-in-the-garage point of view, I'm quite happy that my table saw stops moving pretty quickly - it means I'm not tempted to grab the workpiece from behind the blade before it spins down.

(As to housing joints and so on, I've only ever used a router - an electric one! - and a plough plane, and the router is certainly easier.)

JakeS":3g23lriq said:
Dangermouse":3g23lriq said:
My take on brakes is that the rules are a brake has to stop the machine in 10 seconds. Now imagine your hand has caught in the blade / dado of a table saw, then count for ten seconds, taking into account if you could hit the off button while your hand was being mangled. I don't think such brakes are as wonderful as they are cracked up to be.

I kind of got the impression it was more so that once the machine is turned off, it's 'safe' within a shorter period of time. In particular in a commercial environment, if people turn the machine off and walk off, someone else coming along afterward who doesn't hear the noise of the motor (because it's been stopped!) is less likely to lean over and injure themselves on the still-spinning blade.

Just from a single-hobby-user-in-the-garage point of view, I'm quite happy that my table saw stops moving pretty quickly - it means I'm not tempted to grab the workpiece from behind the blade before it spins down.

(As to housing joints and so on, I've only ever used a router - an electric one! - and a plough plane, and the router is certainly easier.)

Your absolutely right, the legislation is to prevent injury to the next user not the current user.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

deserter":1lzecca6 said:
JakeS":1lzecca6 said:
Dangermouse":1lzecca6 said:

Your absolutely right, the legislation is to prevent injury to the next user not the current user.

As I understand it is to help prevent injury to anyone who is near the tooling before it has spun down - that could be the current user who gets distracted and doesn't have the aural reminders, or as you say it could be someone else. The point is that silence is dangerous, if the tooling is still moving. With good bearings and heavy tooling and no brakes it can be minutes, and even the best trained and most concentrated and most constantly wary minds will occasionally wander or get distracted and that's when the 1 in whatever gets bitten, perhaps very badly.

Dangermouse":3dushr0o said:
I use a dado head on my Wadkin AGS very successfully. Now I would not put a dado head on any of the new "hobby" table saws, they are just not built for it, but my old Wadkin has a long shaft made to take them and its built like a Panzer.

These saws were designed to use dado sets - if you look at the manual they specifically cover the use of dado and moulding heads. I use one on my Wadkin but always with care as it extends the run down time to over 10 seconds when the full stack is installed.

Misterfish

Back